• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm liking this. As I've said before, even though there is has been an obvious transition in the "reality" scale, the comedic tone remains the same. As long as they don't mess with that, I'll be fine. Annoyed we still aren't finding out who Goto's gf is...
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
The only interesting part of this episode was the scene with Goto and Marie. It would be funny to see how Goto's girlfriend would react to him keeping a young girl in his apartment Embarassed

The rest of the episode literally almost put me to sleep. Nothing interesting is happening, every single important event is predictable and full of unoriginality and the Flamengers are still extreme cardboard cutouts of sentai characters tropes. I could care less about any of them. I can't even laugh at how stupid the show is anymore because at this point I'm just asking myself "how long are they going to keep this circus act up?"

Is the show just going to continue going down it's path of self destruction or is it eventually going to to turn out to be something actually noteworthy? Whatever the case I've really been losing patience with this crap for a while now. Goto-san (or is his gf) please save this show.........
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Is this like Haruhi's Endless Eight? I have not seen it, but iirc, people who made it through that felt it was worth sticking around for the payoff. Or maybe they didn't, I dunno.

What I'm getting at is that I keep hoping there's a point to doing this besides trolling, and we just can't see it while we're in the middle of it. If so, it's a pretty dangerous game to play with a series without an established fanbase.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Still better journalism than USA Today.

Sorry for the off-topic, but USA-Today "jounalism" reminded me of incredible rant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hiRC5ZDTXk
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is this like Haruhi's Endless Eight? I have not seen it, but iirc, people who made it through that felt it was worth sticking around for the payoff. Or maybe they didn't, I dunno.

What I'm getting at is that I keep hoping there's a point to doing this besides trolling, and we just can't see it while we're in the middle of it. If so, it's a pretty dangerous game to play with a series without an established fanbase.

You have your analogy is a bit off target, the reason why the fandom, and more importantly any normal viewer, disliked Endless 8 was because the Haruhi Staff thought it would be funny to waste 8 episodes with what amounts to literally the same episode with different camera angles.

Samumenco is different in the matter that it is intentionally jumping the shark, then jumping the shark again while the shark is on fire through a ring of sharks, AND THEN jumping the shark AGAIN with a whale shark while meteors rain down.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Samumenco is different in the matter that it is intentionally jumping the shark, then jumping the shark again while the shark is on fire through a ring of sharks, AND THEN jumping the shark AGAIN with a whale shark while meteors rain down.

So much talk about sharks on fire and all I could think was this guy
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZTTTUnujFoY/UfV2aZzX9_I/AAAAAAAAAW4/4kv2lyCzZ9U/s1600/Despicable-Me-2-El-Macho3.jpg

I honestly think that all these jumping sharks hijinks still have some bigger thing going on behind. I really don't imagine so much crappy comedy and over-the-topness to be what the show is supposed to be about
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I honestly think that all these jumping sharks hijinks still have some bigger thing going on behind. I really don't imagine so much crappy comedy and over-the-topness to be what the show is supposed to be about

The core cast still has there moments, so until the show completely sweeps those moments under the rug the over the topness is just to show how ludicrous the concept of "being a super hero" is if applied in the real world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You have your analogy is a bit off target, the reason why the fandom, and more importantly any normal viewer, disliked Endless 8 was because the Haruhi Staff thought it would be funny to waste 8 episodes with what amounts to literally the same episode with different camera angles.

From what I've read, there were differences besides the camera angles, but are you saying there was not one detail in the entire Endless Eight that had any bearing on the rest of the series? It was just an inserted Groundhog's Day story that had no relevance or payoff?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
From what I've read, there were differences besides the camera angles...

There were also differences in the swimsuits, the kimonos and the types of masks and costumes worn, and slight differences in the storyboarding, but those are all so minor so as not to matter. You could watch just the first and last episodes of Endless Eight and still get the same amount of information. Heck, the entire arc could have been done in just one episode had the slice of life scenes not been stretched out so much and the number of repetitions been shortened to just one.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
...but are you saying there was not one detail in the entire Endless Eight that had any bearing on the rest of the series? It was just an inserted Groundhog's Day story that had no relevance or payoff?

Harutards (rabid Haruhi fans) will claim that spoiler[the looping is important for Yuki's development, and that watching the same things happen eight times is important to understand what Yuki went through. However, this is BS. The original chapter that Endless Eight adapted wasn't that long at all, meaning we didn't need eight episodes to get across that so many repetitions are bad for Yuki. So no, the animated version of Endless Eight had no payoff except the sense of relief that it was finally over.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
longest two months of my life
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13, holy shit the internal drama nob just got broken, Masayoshi is on the emotional cliff with all the stress with being an impromptu official who is now unwittingly in charge of an incoming disaster on the National Scale.

If as a viewer you still care about the characters, then this will probably be taken as one of the more powerful episodes as it is a set of understandable characters right before the metaphorical hurricane hits.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The character beats still work, that's good. I am more convinced than ever that Goto's girlfriend could be dead, and I do feel bad for Masayoshi, but if riots break out, well, he was warned.

Who else thinks spoiler[Kaname could be a part of From Beyond?] Why not? Anything is possible on this show!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hey, remember when Goto was one of the two main characters in this show? Anyone? Because the writers don't seem to. He pops up occasionally still, and by far, these are the most worthwhile (or perhaps I should say only worthwhile) parts of the show. But he's basically been reduced to a completely minor role behind the rest of the Flamengers and even Red Axe. It really sucks.

And this episode was especially dumb. They spend the whole time on this big melodramatic lead up to spoiler[FBs attack. Except we seem to be operating entirely on the basis of their own offhand claim that there are (somehow) tens of thousands of them. Hell, its not even their explicit claim. It's a calculation based on a bunch of gross assumptions about the literal intent of their name and its relation to their (also assumed) complex, exponential organizational structure. I don't really get either how they knew they were going to attack soon. It was explained as if it was a fact yet any context in terms of how they know or what exactly this attack will entail is totally unclear. And why they were resistant to telling people? Even if you can't evacuate the whole country, doing what you can and moving people out of high risk areas would be a hell of a start and save tons of lives.]

Anyway, I'm really torn on whether to drop this. I would like to finish it if at all possible just because I feel I have to see where all this insanity goes. I suspect there may still be some kind of massive twist waiting in the wings and, while that would by no means salvage the show, I bloody well want to know what all this was supposed to be in service of. But at the same time, it's getting more and more annoying to watch. We're tipping slightly from "this isn't at all appealing" toward "this is downright annoying".

Agent355 wrote:
I am more convinced than ever that Goto's girlfriend could be dead, and I do feel bad for Masayoshi, but if riots break out, well, he was warned.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of this. Given her continued conspicuous absence and the fact that her umbrella has not moved in months and her apparent complete acceptance of Mari staying there I cannot believe she isn't either dead or imaginary or something. Yet, that would have to make Goto full blown crazy since we've actually seen him having text convos with her. Shocked
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hey, remember when Goto was one of the two main characters in this show? Anyone? Because the writers don't seem to. He pops up occasionally still, and by far, these are the most worthwhile (or perhaps I should say only worthwhile) parts of the show. But he's basically been reduced to a completely minor role behind the rest of the Flamengers and even Red Axe. It really sucks.

I have to disagree with this. Goto may not have a lot of screentime, but he's definitely more important than Red Axe or the Flamengers. He's more significant, both to the story and to Masayoshi's struggle. In spite of all the crazy shenaningans, Goto remains as Masayoshi's go-to person and confident and I think the fact that his scenes are significantly more important and better written than the ones with crazy stuff happening is not an accident at all. They want us to be emotionally invested, not with the Flamengers and the apparently inevitable Doomsday, but with Masayoshi's self doubts and the trust he's put in Goto. Or maybe I'm just in denial, because I'm still enjoying this quite a bit.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
In spite of all the crazy shenaningans, Goto remains as Masayoshi's go-to person and confident and I think the fact that his scenes are significantly more important and better written than the ones with crazy stuff happening is not an accident at all. They want us to be emotionally invested, not with the Flamengers and the apparently inevitable Doomsday, but with Masayoshi's self doubts and the trust he's put in Goto.

Could be I guess. Still, that's kinda the problem. Whatever their long term intent, right now he is in a very minor role. So we're stuck watching a whole episode of super sentai BS just for a few brief moments of Goto and Masa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 28