• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds We Without Wings – Under the Innocent Sky

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
Great....now where is the news about FUNimation getting The World God Only Knows? I'm still waiting...
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
O.O Why? It was awful. I've got nothing against ecchi, but We Without Wings's plot has some serious ADHD issues. It made my brain hurt, and not in a good way.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Stuff

Sora no Otoshimono is actually really well made. Hell, I almost cried. Good charatcer, decent plot, great character development, decent visuals, good voice acting, asshole of a bad guy... what more do you want?

This I loved Sora no Otoshimono, My Bride is a Mermaid, and Panty and Stocking (and I'm a female not that doesn't mean anything just saying). They kept me entertained and gave me a lot of laughs and some tears along the way.

As for this show I only watched one episode on Crunchyroll so far it was well decent, but I'm going to watch the rest of it to see if its buy material.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
What compelled them to get this show? Sure I like it, and watch it every week on Crunchyroll, but it's fairly mediocre. I thought it would never get licensed. This isn't going to do well.

Did they even look at how it got rated here on ANN's Spring 2011 Preview Guide? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Did they even look at how it got rated here on ANN's Spring 2011 Preview Guide? Rolling Eyes

I highly doubt Funimation looks at (or cares) about ANN's preview guide. More than likely they're just licensing it because its similar to shows that have sold well in the past.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I highly doubt Funimation looks at (or cares) about ANN's preview guide. More than likely they're just licensing it because its similar to shows that have sold well in the past.

well either that or it was bundled with another better show they will announce later, or maybe it came with korewa zombie desuka,

either way, I wont buy it, because I do not like it, but the one thing I can say about sentai films/section23, at least 99% of the time, when they announce a license, it gets a timely release, not like all the shows funi says they are going to release, but yet a year later they haven't been given a release date,

and blaming geneon, or that it is a material issue, is just crazy, if you do not have everything you need from the Japanese company, to release a show, then don't announce it
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

and blaming geneon, or that it is a material issue, is just crazy, if you do not have everything you need from the Japanese company, to release a show, then don't announce it

Personally, I like it when they announce stuff in advance, I don't like having stuff sprung on me and then realize I didn't budget enough and have to skip out on it. And besides, I think it's the point to get people interested in it in advance.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised FUNi didn't tweak the title to Tsubasa - We Without Wings to inch it a little closer to Shuffle.

FUNi is dumb because they aren't licensing titles like Bakemonogatari, or other massively popular series? No, they're reading the market properly -- which is the reason why they are the biggest remaining company over here.

Judging from online popularity is the worst idea, and people should stop using it as any sort of barometer for success in the North American market. Sure, Madoka has the biggest following in recent memory, but most people will be into the next big thing by the time the discs are released. Not to mention the licensing itself is ungodly expensive.

I'm willing to bet the only reason that FUNi is still the only company putting out dubs is that it's mostly picking up things that require a dub. Half the series that people would rather see picked up would do just as good, if not more profitable, with just a subtitle track rather than a full dub.

tl;dr
FUNi knows economics better than you.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
people seem to think shows like this are universally hated, well they aren't. people will buy it no matter how crazy you think that is.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Stuff

Sora no Otoshimono is actually really well made. Hell, I almost cried. Good charatcer, decent plot, great character development, decent visuals, good voice acting, asshole of a bad guy... what more do you want?

This I loved Sora no Otoshimono, My Bride is a Mermaid, and Panty and Stocking (and I'm a female not that doesn't mean anything just saying). They kept me entertained and gave me a lot of laughs and some tears along the way.

As for this show I only watched one episode on Crunchyroll so far it was well decent, but I'm going to watch the rest of it to see if its buy material.
Maybe I'll give it a second chance. I'm pretty biased against shows in this vein, so sometimes I'll pass over quality programs because of it. It took me a while to actually get around to watching Clannad Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
FUNi is dumb because they aren't licensing titles like Bakemonogatari, or other massively popular series? No, they're reading the market properly -- which is the reason why they are the biggest remaining company over here.

I happen to be a Funi fan myself, but don't assume the reason why they haven't licensed something like Bakemonogatari or Madoka is because they are "reading the marke properly." What's more likely is they can't get those titles for what could be a variety of reasons. Both Bakemonogatari and Madoka went way beyond mere "online popularity" - they've racked up big sales in their Japanese releases. Of course, big sales in Japan doesn't necessarily mean big sales anywhere else, but it's not a bad barometer, either.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Though this thing is a completely different beast compared to those other shows. In even just the first episode alone, you never figure out what's going on. It's just utterly confusing, yet somewhat enjoyable for some people like me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Scormio wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Though this thing is a completely different beast compared to those other shows. In even just the first episode alone, you never figure out what's going on. It's just utterly confusing, yet somewhat enjoyable for some people like me.

Oh, I completely agree. I like shows where not everything is clear-cut and you have to do a bit of thinking on your own to understand what exactly's going on.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm slowly figuring out that show, and I think I like it. So I'm not going to complain, although I'm with those who might prefer more Higurashi over it. I was actually waiting on that show instead of watching the fansub, but obviously that doesn't make sense now.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Great....now where is the news about FUNimation getting The World God Only Knows? I'm still waiting...

Wouldn't Viz be grabbing it? Or are they suddenly skipping Jump titles that don't include teenagers shooting beams and such?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7