• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Updates Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter Draft

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This needs to happen. Bubblegum Crisis is a true classic. It's too bad AnimEigo didn't go to Kickstarter to help fund the second half of Yawara last year.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
It's too bad AnimEigo didn't go to Kickstarter to help fund the second half of Yawara last year.

This is Robert Woodhead's exact words about Yawara, from back in 2010:
Quote:
It is with deep regret that we must announce that so far, we have not been able to secure a license to release the rest of Yawara.

Obviously they want to do more Yawara, but aren't able to secure the license for more. Considering that Kitty Film, the company that originally had the rights to Yawara (& Urusei Yatsura), went out of business shortly before 2010 it's likely the new company that owns the rights are playing hardball, making it difficult for AE to get more of Yawara. A Kickstarter wouldn't have been able to do anything to help that.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
No AD Police is saddening. The whole franchise needs the blu-ray treatment. I'd like to see some "stretch" goals that are really stretches, like cleaning up some of the cheap animation in the 2033 or actually finishing the show's plotline (though they'd arguably have to create one first lol). Hell, I'd like to see a bluray of 2040 or even the legendary 2041 (even though those are Funi/ADV areas).

I'd support this endeavor, so long as it actually gets noticeable news coverage when it goes live on Kickstarter. Only by a quickly-suppressed Fandom Post article and this blurb here on ANN have I heard of this endeavor. Gotta know when I can contribute in order to contribute.
mrdarkrai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a live action adaptation?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
AD Police is still a possibility. It just depends on how much money they raise.

Also, I sincerely hope they're able to redub this. At first I thought it was a cool thought, but I've since grown to seriously hope it happens and more excited at the possibility.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
I would definitely buy the finished product, especially if it was redubbed, but I don't have a the money right now to make a high tier donation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Obviously they want to do more Yawara, but aren't able to secure the license for more. Considering that Kitty Film, the company that originally had the rights to Yawara (& Urusei Yatsura), went out of business shortly before 2010 it's likely the new company that owns the rights are playing hardball, making it difficult for AE to get more of Yawara. A Kickstarter wouldn't have been able to do anything to help that.
Or the "new company" knows it can do better elsewhere than a small time distribution house that's basically ditched anything to do with anime except one they seem to be holding onto for some sort of nostalgia value maybe.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
@Mohawk52

I'd agree with you about a new company doing better elsewhere if the shows in question actually showed up with a larger company.

In the current anime market where most of the marketing and most of the sales are internet related, small companies are not at as much of a disadvantage in distribution as they used to be. The disadvantage of a small distributor is in up front funds to license a show. The big guys just have more money.

I suspect that Animeigo is not holding on to some shows out of nostalgia but that the license just has not run out yet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Mohawk52

I'd agree with you about a new company doing better elsewhere if the shows in question actually showed up with a larger company.

In the current anime market where most of the marketing and most of the sales are internet related, small companies are not at as much of a disadvantage in distribution as they used to be. The disadvantage of a small distributor is in up front funds to license a show. The big guys just have more money.

I suspect that Animeigo is not holding on to some shows out of nostalgia but that the license just has not run out yet.
Any company that holds on to a license until its expiration date knowing full well they will never do anything with it is just being inconsiderate to anyone that is related to the original license provider. If that is what AnimEigo is doing they should just give it back so that the Japanese license holder can offer it to someone else who will actually release it for purchase, or broadcast, or both and get some money back.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52

Animeigo is still selling Bubblegum Crisis, AD Police, Bubblegum Crash and several other anime titles on DVD. They are not just "sitting" on the license. These are mostly titles from the late 1980s, no one is going to put them on TV. The only thing that could be done is an enhanced version, which is what the kickstarter thing is about.

Titles like Urusei Yatsura and Yawara were available from them right up until the license ran out.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Mohawk52

Animeigo is still selling Bubblegum Crisis, AD Police, Bubblegum Crash and several other anime titles on DVD.
You mean like the other five; The Dagger of Kamui,
Otaku No Video
Riding Bean
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA, and
You're Under Arrest! ? Hardly the volume that "several" implies.

Quote:
They are not just "sitting" on the license. These are mostly titles from the late 1980s, no one is going to put them on TV. The only thing that could be done is an enhanced version, which is what the kickstarter thing is about.

Titles like Urusei Yatsura and Yawara were available from them right up until the license ran out.
That rather pathetic list also highlights that the company is not very interested in competing for licenses of anything new since the 80's and 90's and because of their age I don't imagine any of those are keeping the company from bankruptcy either, hence trying this con of persuading kids with pie tomorrow if they give up their lunch money and allowances today to bankroll something they should have the capital expense to do so already if they believed it would be profitable in the first place. Wink

I believe that AnimEigo only keeps these licenses just so they won't have to go through the expense of changing the name of the company and therefore replace the logo and all that stationary. Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
@ Mohawk52
Well, if you don't like them that is fine. I have no argument with the company. They provided a great deal of entertainment to me when I first got into anime. I think it is a shame that they apparently got priced out of the market in the 2000's. At least they found a niche that allows them to keep going. I suspect that if they were profitable they would have kept licensing older shows.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ Mohawk52
Well, if you don't like them that is fine. I have no argument with the company. They provided a great deal of entertainment to me when I first got into anime. I think it is a shame that they apparently got priced out of the market in the 2000's. At least they found a niche that allows them to keep going. I suspect that if they were profitable they would have kept licensing older shows.
I never said didn't like them. I purchased BG Crisis, and Crash even though it got slagged. I purchased the Oh My Goddess OVAs because I consider the English dub one of the best when it was out there in the day, and I purchased You're Under Arrest they all are sitting on my shelf. I would have purchased UY too if they had invested in a dub as well and paid full MMR for it too. I never gave up on them, they gave up on us.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
I would have purchased UY too if they had invested in a dub

You don't ask much from a small company. One hundred and ninety-five episodes, eleven OAVs and five movies for a show done between 1981 and 1991. I don't think any company would have tried to dub that. Given that they had all of Rumiko Takahashi's other stuff, I have to assume that Viz had first refusal on the show and didn't take it. There is no chance that Animeigo could have recouped the cost of dubbing all of that. As it is, I wonder how much they made on the show.

Shouldn't you have been buying from an English company in any case?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1