• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Bans Anime from Prime Time TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ragebot wrote:
Keep in mind, that this is only from 5-8 PM. ANN's headline smacks of hyperbole.

Actually, it doesn't. It says clearly that it's being banned from prime time TV, which is generally in that period of time. I'm not sure where you see the hyperbole.
lennier1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sounds only one step farther than what France has been doing for a long time (dictating radio stations which percentage of the songs they´re playing has to be french).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
mskala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
People are telling you to speach Chinese because economists predict that China will become a powerful world economic leader in the mid 21st century.

Will become in the mid 21st Century? Try is already. The future is now. Who's got the biggest trade deficit in the world? Who holds the biggest piece of it? If you don't know, or if you don't know what a trade deficit is, well, you're sure going to find out. Say, do you know what's been happening to base metal prices since last Fall? Do you know why?

China already owns a lot more of the USA than most of the US general public realizes. I just hope they figure out this whole democracy thing before they start exercising their options and calling in their loans.
FiliKlepto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Quote:
"Chinese is the way to go." Direct quote.

Off topic, but here's why. People are telling you to speach Chinese because economists predict that China will become a powerful world economic leader in the mid 21st century.

4 economies that shine -- for 2050
This article predicts what could be four 'economic giants' in 2050. Only one, Brazil, isn't located in Asia major.

Yes, but I still don't see that as a reason to criticize someone's major (not you, my physician). There's nothing wrong with studying Japanese as opposed to Chinese, and Chinese isn't the only fruitful option. But, yeah, I'll stop carrying this on in the forum...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
lennier1 wrote:
Sounds only one step farther than what France has been doing for a long time (dictating radio stations which percentage of the songs they´re playing has to be french).

The French really do that? First I've heard of that but it doesn't surprise me at all. With all the other regulations they have on virtually every aspect of their citizen's lives, this probably seemed minor during voting.

One question though. Do you mean the songs have to originate in France or just that they have to be sung in french?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Someone said in an earlier post that it's only 5-8, but in my mind that doesn't matter. It's still being banned, which means people won't be able to see stuff they were watching.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Seriously, this is total BS. The entire Chinese population should impeach the ignorant dumbass who's currently in office and get him replaced with someone who's not so introverted about his own nation. Hell, not even we Americans are like that, yet everyone hates us. Go figure. Rolling Eyes

They tried- it ended at Tiannamen Square. (Yes, it's an oversimplication, but what the military did was more than just over-* )

Anyway, the Chinese have their own fansubbers- it's just not anime.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
My first thought when I saw the title was: "What? Wow, that's pretty extreme. I mean, I know they aren't terribly fond of Japan because of WW2, but still.."

After reading the article: "Ah, I see. That makes a lot more sense. That's not a big deal."

Seriously, they are just trying to get more attention to their own animation (and thus more money) so they can improve it and become bigger players in that industry. It's only being banned from prime time. Foreign animation can still be shown at any other time and can still be bought and sold (I would assume, at least).

If this works out like they hope it does, this could be a good thing. Perhaps we will get some good animation coming out of China someday (I can't think of anything animated from China at the moment, probably because there is very little and even less worth watching). If it does pick up, and licensors start licensing it, perhaps it can even have a beneficial effect on anime. For example, if licensors can get animation from China cheaper, that may force Japanese companies to lower licensing costs which in turn could lower the retail price and/or result in more anime being licensed. If not, its only a couple hours that non-Chinese animation can't be aired.

And if we are going to complain about things China is doing, there are far bigger issues to worry about. Whether or not it allows foreign cartoons to be broadcast on TV are the least of the things people should be worried about.
Dingé

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's spent quite a bit of time in China in recent years, I have to say this new policy will hardly affect anime-broadcasting in the country.

People who aren't familiar with Chinese television won't know this, but there's nearly no anime being shown during prime-time these days anyway. Natively produced cartoon/drama/news have already taken up residence in that time period on many channels. Most anime being broadcasted nowadays are what one would call "oldies" (save for Prince of Tennis maybe, which may be airing right now). There's one channel (XuanDong [pronounced: shuan doon] Cartoons, if I'm not mistaken) I'm aware of that is almost exclusively dedicated to anime news, but there's hardly any actual anime being shown. If anything, companies like Disney and Warner Brothers will probably be affected the most by the policy, but not anime. Most fans either download their favourite shows through BT, watch streams online hosted by certain paysites, or buy bootleg. The new policy won't really impede anime distribution in China (legal issues aside).

The quality of Chinese-made cartoons are, in my opinion, quite pathetic. It's easy to see why they're losing to foreign products once you them in a the side to side comparision. The studios are slowly improving, but at the moment they're just no contest for companies like Disney or BONES.
Shii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Off topic, though not by much, it's always fascinating to me how everyone thinks Republicans (and by extension President Bush) are so bad and yet no one seems the least bit bothered by Democrats like Hillary Clinton trying pass bills that would actually place government controls on the internet. Rolling Eyes
Are you talking about the net neutrality bill? Cause if you are, let's send that Rolling Eyes right back atcha...
RZetlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Mind you China hasn't completely banned anime.

There are plenty of anime to buy in stores --- pirated.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
I definitely don't see it as being as extreme as some people think it is. As has been mentioned, Canada has similar rules like this in place for television and radio, where a specific amount of the day's content has to be Canadian (which means that "If I Had a Million Dollars" gets played almost everyday -_-). This law is just a bit more specific about when the local content has to be played.

Also, as has been pointed out, American primetime has no foreign content, so of course a law like this isn't necessary. And while foreign shows might not be "popular", remakes of them sure are (Trading Spaces for example).

So yeah, while it does at first seem a bit extreme, it makes sense, to a certain amount, as they want to promote Chinese productions as much as possible.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
This issue isnt really a big deal.

I live in Australia and i shouldnt be really worried about that...i should be worrying about High Petrol prices($1.30-$1.40 a litre!!!!!!!), high cost for banannas and flaming high interest rates!!( i think 7.9%)

No more anime dvds for a while.... Sad

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
chinese people don't care. they will just download them or buy pirate dvds, ooop, i mean vcds since they love those pirate vcds so much.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Deleted. Face palm.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8