• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ: "How do I get my idea made into an anime?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:
That is assuming your super-awesome idea is actually good.
And even that isn't really necessary, considering the number of garbage visual novels that have gotten anime adaptations.

someone needs to burn that hat full of crappy VN/LNs to adapt into anime/manga.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless you are independently wealthy, or know someone that is willing to put up the literally millions of dollars it takes to produce an anime, you are effectively locked out of the system.

As you and others have pointed out, THAT is probably the best way to go about it... Become a multimillionaire doing something completely unrelated to anime, then spend your personal fortune to pay all the necessary people and companies to make your idea for you.

Of course, if I was a multimillionaire, I would be way too busy enjoying my fortune to want to throw it away like that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR IDEAS.

This is what I would love to say every naive idiot on DeviantArt who thinks they're going to live in Japan one day and actually make it big. It may be harsh, but Justin is telling the truth. That's just how it is.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
These days it's getting easier to create your ideas into reality through mediums like the internet and Kickstarter-like sites. It would truly be easier for most of these people who have ideas is create a Kickstarter, etc. and pitch it to the hoards of people with money to see where it goes. When an idea is shot down by the public it is much easier to see that there was no market for the idea.

That's of course not to say Kickstarter etc. is easy, it's hard to plan and create a project, as well as make it presentable. Also, if I remember correctly, most anime companies are wary of Kickstarter. The best bet is to create the idea in a separate format first.

And even those who are successful on Kickstarter are well known.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I really think that this is fairly subjective because it is a case by case basis. I understand that you have to establish your position before getting into the anime industry, it is the reason why most anime is made directly from manga.

Again, manga is a hard industry to get into. It is easier an easier industry than anime.

Another entry point is a light novel. It is how Trinity Blood started, the anime is based off of the light novel.

Visual novels are also a starting point that is good. This is how Clannad and Fate/Stay Night started. But, most of these are adult content based and then turn tame when they turn into anime.

Books. Yes, books. Having a book adapted to an anime is possible, just unlikely.

Live action movie adaptation. Need to be established first.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This is what I like about doujinshi, h or non-h, is that any decent artist can make their ideas available to a pretty wide audience and it can even land them solid mangaka work in monthly magazines, and then even have anime made from that if they get really lucky. Better yet these days, you just need someone to make a few drawings for you and you can construct a light novel. So if you want to get an anime made, go back in time, be born Japanese, and hope to god you're a good artist or know one. That'll certainly give you a great leg up on being an American with just a script. I'll use Takeda Hiromitsu as a good example: started with ero doujins as far as I can tell, goes on to making Maken-ki as a serialized non-h work, and not only gets an anime, but OVAs and a sequel series.

Hell, Watamote is a good example as well. That manga is kind of ugly and crude, definitely barebones kind of work (chapters aren't longer than 15 pages most of the time), but the idea behind it was strong enough to get it an anime. Had it just been a lowly script? No chance in hell.

I don't know about the independent comic scene in the West, but I never feel like it's as strong or has as much potential as what Japan affords it. You don't have Comikets and several other events every single year for the sole purpose of indie comics. That's probably the best way I can think of for breaking into the combined otaku scene, you can even meet other long time established mangaka who still make doujinshi for fun.

Quote:
"I'll bet I can sell a series based off this." Hey, stranger things have happened!

Don't see why Wizardy was singled out, they were still pumping out one shots through the 90s for just about everything.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
I really think that this is fairly subjective because it is a case by case basis. I understand that you have to establish your position before getting into the anime industry, it is the reason why most anime is made directly from manga.

Again, manga is a hard industry to get into. It is easier an easier industry than anime.

Another entry point is a light novel. It is how Trinity Blood started, the anime is based off of the light novel.

Visual novels are also a starting point that is good. This is how Clannad and Fate/Stay Night started. But, most of these are adult content based and then turn tame when they turn into anime.

Books. Yes, books. Having a book adapted to an anime is possible, just unlikely.

Live action movie adaptation. Need to be established first.

I was thinking this. Why not instead of telling people "Give on up on your worthless dreams", tell them a less-direct method of doing it...? I mean, this question was answered like anime are never adapted from other mediums.

Here is my advice for people who want to make an anime. I'm obviously not particularly qualified, but once upon a time I took interest in the OEL manga industry:

1. Take some art classes in college or something and learn to write in college too (get a degree in it, maybe). Polishing your skills never hurts. Plus, imo, most good artists can't write very well and most good writers can't draw very well. You need to be able to do both.
2. Write a manga-styled comic. I know, you want an anime, but we're getting there. Get your manga published if possible (like really published, not self-published) and try to do a webcomic in the meantime. Seek out every remaining OEL manga talent search and submit to all of them. Unfortunately, the only one I can think of that still sort of exists is Yen Press's.

If you have skill and/or talent, you will get noticed. Sometimes by someone in Japan.

Svetlana Chmakova never got an anime, but she did get an original idea made into an anime-inspired cartoon which aired on Canadian television on a popular channel. She got discovered doing webcomics or something, I think. Felipe Smith did a comic for Tokyopop one time and friggin' Kodansha noticed him. He got an actual manga published in Japan. Popular manga get made into anime. Of course it's rarely the mangaka's first work, but you have to build your popularity first.

Actually moving to Japan first and looking for work as a mangaka's assistant helps too. Of course, being a mangaka is very, very hard work in Japan, so yeah.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
That's not entirely true that nobody cares. A few years back, I sent TMS my joke about a moe Fujiko meant to appeal to otaku on the surface, but really just make fun of the genre; and apparently they built an entire show around the idea. Cool And of course, those international applicants who submitted manga to Jump might actually be successful enough for their stories and/or future ideas to get the anime treatment. Also, Japanese media companies *are* trying to interact more with English-speaking fans nowadays, instead of just hiding in their shells or behind their American partners/subsidiaries. And they're finally embracing the changing landscape of marketing as a whole. So I think it's a different world than when Justin was growing up.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:

They have!

I particularly liked this comment:

Quote:
I've actually just optioned it, to a Japanese company who is going to make an anime version, because I love Japanese animation and my kids do too, and whatever was done with Deltora Quest I wanted it to be cool, and I knew that they would provide this - so that's for television, whether there'll ever be a feature film made of it, live action, I don't know.

But, of course, Jennifer Rowe (aka Emily Rodda) had already made a name for herself. I read in another interview that she had been approached by more than one country to turn the books into a television series. She went with an anime company because her kids thought that was the coolest option.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
being extremely wealthy would help of course.

This would solve many problems in the creation process.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this whole thing makes me think back to the whole hassle that went into getting Oban Star Racers made. It took the guy many, many years to get the project off the ground, and once he started working on it in Japan, from my understanding the project was anything but straight forward, going as far as Savin choosing to right the scripts himself as opposed to letting someone else do so. I heard something about disagreements with the production committee with the scripts.

Was it profitable? From what I understand, no, but it did help get people like Savin Yeatman-Eiffel and Thomas Romain more known in the market, particularly Thomas in Japan where he still works today.

Oban's is probably an example of how hard it is to work in the animation industry, period, not necessarily in Japan. I wonder if the write up of the whole production process is still available...

Last edited by ChibiGoku on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
It's not impossible but I guess the people has to start small like how they get into Game industry. Nobody can get into creative industry just like that. Nowadays, it seems a bit easier to get your name out there.

Got to make your name big with a light novel or visual novel first. And I would like to know if Japanese people would even play the visual novel written by Western game industry, not that many I can even think of. There is one I thought of written by bunch of 4chan members but can't remember the name. Is it practically unknown in Japan as I never even heard of that game being translated to Japanese?

In the first place, The western industry is still not even that familiar with Light novel or the visual novel and they are not really even thinking of tackling those mediums yet. By now it'd be obvious that both the light novel and visual novel are very integral to anime industry. If they don't even really start writing as of those, it definitely is a pipe dream for us to get into Anime industry as of now.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:
That is assuming your super-awesome idea is actually good.
And even that isn't really necessary, considering the number of garbage visual novels that have gotten anime adaptations.

someone needs to burn that hat full of crappy VN/LNs to adapt into anime/manga.

You can burn the ln's but don't you dare touch my vn's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Justin, your answer was not nearly as cynical or soul-crushing as I expected, just realistic! Any intended Grinch-iness on your part shall require some fine-tuning, sir!

It's good to be aware of the realities, but whether you let them discourage you or not is what truly dictates your path. There's already been some great advice - find a form of expression (like writing or art) that you enjoy and develop your idea that way. Sure, there are ways - contests like the WSJ one that allow international entrants and people like Felipe Smith and this blogger who was an assistant for the Prince of Tennis mangaka, but they are the exception, not the rule. Your work may get famous/get an anime or it may just be something shared between you and a polite group of friends, but if you actually flesh out and make your idea in some form, you're ahead of all of the idea guys that never did. Wink I guess at the end, folks just have to decide what's really important - the expression portion or the "getting famous" portion of the dream.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Was it profitable? From what I understand, no...

That's a shame to hear. Oban is really good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7