• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Danny Elfman is a Miyazaki Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
MentalMachine wrote:

I've hated Miyazaki for over 9 years now
I can't tell if you're soap boxing, or trolling, or a bit of both. Laughing

Nope, the TRUTH. Most hardcore Ghibli fans themselves consider Howl to be a blight on Miyazaki's record. Howl is the Cars of Ghibli, though even Cars has more to offer than that dreck,

Actually, the last time I checked it was ranked by the majority of his fans as his second to third best work. Whenever I go on those types of threads Howl's Moving Castle is usually pretty high up. I also regard it quite highly. I think it just didn't work for a few critics, that is all. But in terms of the fandom it is loved very much for the most part.

I wouldn't rate Cars higher than any Ghibli film, not even Tales From Earthsea (which I didn't seem to hate nearly as much as everyone else did).
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:

He wrote and directed Ponyo, which looked like something from the early 80s, due to the dated cel animation

Ponyo is not cel animation, but digimation. It was made to look like cel animation and it was promoted as "hand art craft", but it's definitely digital animation. Just look closely for the typical artifacts you find in cel animation (scratches, shadows between layers, interrupted outlines of characters, ect.), you won't find them in Ponyo. Moreover, you can't find any cels of the movie in Japan or online, because they do not exist.
Ghibli abandoned cel animation after Mononoke hime in 1997 and uses software for coloring, editing and animation checking like all other japanese anime studios too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
MentalMachine wrote:

He wrote and directed Ponyo, which looked like something from the early 80s, due to the dated cel animation

Ponyo is not cel animation, but digimation. It was made to look like cel animation and it was promoted as "hand art craft", but it's definitely digital animation. Just look closely for the typical artifacts you find in cel animation (scratches, shadows between layers, interrupted outlines of characters, ect.), you won't find them in Ponyo. Moreover, you can't find any cels of the movie in Japan or online, because they do not exist.
Ghibli abandoned cel animation after Mononoke hime in 1997 and uses software for coloring, editing and animation checking like all other japanese anime studios too.

Really? I did not know that. Learn something every day, even for a 50+ year old Chinese git like myself. Still looks pretty old school looking, which is distracting.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
MentalMachine wrote:
wootsman wrote:
Quote:
Danny Elfman is a Miyazaki Fan

Who isn't? lol

I've hated Miyazaki for over 9 years now, due to that farce of a movie called Howl's Moving Castle. Pure garbage. Even in Japan, the film got negative criticism and got nominated for a Razzie equivalent. That's their Phantom Menace. Not well liked, but a huge seller.

One bad movie and he's ruined for you?

He wrote and directed Ponyo, which looked like something from the early 80s, due to the dated cel animation, the plot and overall feel is lame. He wrote Arrietty, which was also garbage. The visuals were better than Ponyo, due to the returning to digital animation effects, but his writing wasn't very good. He wrote On Poppy Hill, which is a bad movie, due to themes, which I won't gloss over. He ended with a crash and burn with The Wind Rises, which not only has atrocious voice acting, the worst in a Ghibli movie, which is saying a lot, the story is cheesy, forced and I've heard it a million times from this dude.

This is what I think.

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
MentalMachine wrote:

I've hated Miyazaki for over 9 years now
I can't tell if you're soap boxing, or trolling, or a bit of both. Laughing

Seems like both

Took the words out of my mouth Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Dimlos"][quote="wootsman"]
Quote:
Call me when someone comes out and says they're a fan of Haruhi, Genshiken, or some other show that won't have mainstream appeal.

Apparently, Robert Pattinson likes Mushishi. Does that count?

http://s60.photobucket.com/user/lil_slugger11/media/12690356126061.jpg.html
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Tales from Earthsea is the only "bad" Ghibli film in IMO. On its own, it's probably better than 90% of the other animated films out there, but compared to the rest of Studio Ghibli's catalog; it's extremely mediocre and generic which is practically the worst thing you can say to a film from this company.

Howl's was good, but the ending felt rushed. For me, the best film by Miyazaki is a coin toss between Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I hope to see the Wind Rises when it comes out in theaters.

Also, his son's name is Oliver!? That's my name! Shocked
Gohan22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke is by far my favorite Ghibli film. It is one of the very few films that I consider to be perfect. And the Dub was fantastic as well. Really, the only BAD Ghibli film that I've seen is Tales of Earthsea, Howl was merely ok.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Gohan22 wrote:
Princess Mononoke is by far my favorite Ghibli film. It is one of the very few films that I consider to be perfect. And the Dub was fantastic as well.
I always thought Billy Bob Thornton's performance was rather lacking.
Gohan22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I never minded his performance, it worked for me. I was watching JesuOtaku's review the other day and she actually made some really good points about his performance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2