• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Cancels Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians Limited Box, Keeps Regular Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Honestly, some people are getting too worked up over Funimation canceling a LE box for a shitty fanservice show and/or its website not working properly. WE ARE NOT SEEING THE DEMISE OF FUNIMATION PEOPLE.

I have been a detractor of Funimation for while because they seem too interested in releasing more ecchi shows than series with more substance. I also consider the "dub everything" policy myopic. Fortunately, they are addressing those issues by acquiring great new content and considering doing some sub-only releases.

If you add the recently acquired Sunrise titles, Funimation will have a great 2014. Next year they could release Psycho-Pass, Cowboy Bebop on BD, both seasons of Code Geass on BD, Escaflowne on BD, The Devil is a Part-Timer and Attack on Titan. That is a killer lineup for a company that is supposedly struggling.

Definitely 100% agree with this.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
victor viper wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
On a somewhat related note : I was in Best Buy yesterday and the vast majority of their Anime is now Funimation LE Boxed sets. Only a handfull of titles, but 5 or 6 boxes of each. Made it look like the Anime shelves were stuffed until you realized just what it was you were seeing.

How depressing. I rarely set foot in Best Buy anymore but the last time I was in my local store, the anime section was similarly grim. I can fondly recall strolling into Best Buy circa 2005 in any given week and finding basically every new-release title from ADV, Funimation, and Media Blasters on the shelves.

When I first worked at Best Buy in 2007, we have an entire half aisle of anime. It was a 16 foot long section with four shelves apiece, and it was full. Like you said, you could find just about every new release from the big guys.

By the time I left in 2011, the section was cut to four feet and it was barely full at that. I stopped at a larger Best Buy a few weeks ago, and it only had two four foot shelves with just a hand full of titles. Of course, Best Buy has cut way back on the amount of DVDs and blurays they sell across the board. It's not just an anime thing.

Not too surprising though considering you can buy it for a ton cheaper online now. Why bother getting it in stores when you can buy it for really cheap online, just stream the series, or buy it at a con? Also, there probably just wasn't enough money in it for Bestbuy to keep on stocking such a "niche" product.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5