• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yahoo Reveals Transformers Movie Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
That's a pretty small line-up. I hope a few more will be announced, like Soundwave and Hound.

But I gotta say, Scorponok ftw. Smile

Thank you... Hound was the first transformer I ever owned, and by far my favorite.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So Bumblee still sucks.

Yikes... it does look like Bionicle The Movie. Not good.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Quote:
So Bumblee still sucks.

Yikes... it does look like Bionicle The Movie. Not good.

But I loved that Bioicle movie. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ralboon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Emerje, the reason they look so different than the cartoon versions is so the CGI guys can create transformations that aren't completely retarded, and actually look relatively believeble. I have only one real complaint: What is up with the flames on Optimus Prime?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
The flames on Prime are like a tribute (though possibly unintentional) to Generation 2 "Laser" Optimus Prime which was a black semi-truck with red flames.

Saw the character designs for Starscream... Not too thrilled about that one, they took the "robot alien" idea a bit too far. Not humanoid at all.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Isn't Brawl and autobot? (Gets on Wiki...)

Oops. Sorry, that was Brawn.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Soundwave.. If he does end up on the Decepticon roster, what will he transform into? An Ipod? An XBOX? A Coke machine?

The cassette tape thing is a little outdated.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Soundwave.. If he does end up on the Decepticon roster, what will he transform into? An Ipod? An XBOX? A Coke machine?

I don't know, I think it would be funny to have a movie set in the current time period, but with these futuristic robots looking like old semi's, beetles, and cassette tape players. Sure, It would probably piss off a lot of purists, but I bet it would be hilarious Twisted Evil
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
come on hotshot has been around for a decade and since then he preety much become the second biggest member of the autobots after optimus prime
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

I don't know, I think it would be funny to have a movie set in the current time period, but with these futuristic robots looking like old semi's, beetles, and cassette tape players. Sure, It would probably piss off a lot of purists, but I bet it would be hilarious Twisted Evil

that would be pretty funny. I can see Soundwave stuck on the shelf of some Goodwill store waiting for energon cubes.

but the purists will be ticked off no matter what. There are a couple things I dont understand:

Why all the hate on Bumblebee?- He has no annoying speech pattern, he's not cute or fuzzy, has no annoying catch phrase, he doesnt rely on stupid comedy bits to develop his character. He's just Bumblebee...probably the youngest and most inexperienced of the original Autobot team. Not Wheelie- the worst Transformer ever.

Why all the hate on Michael Bay? - he's no Uwe Boll (who all the hip Internet critics love to bash nowadays). The Island was a decent movie. And he directed the first Bad Boys movie and The Rock..both enjoyable shamelessly good action films. Pearl harbor and Armegeddon are his worst, and thats mainly due to bad scripting and acting.
KeArn Kittrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
I had heard that Soundwave is not involved in this picture...1 because alot of kids will be going to see the movie, and not everyone understands what a casette player is...2 The toy manufacturer that holds the rights to Soundwaves character insisted that he be some form of communication device where his character was originally slated for the Decepticon helicopter...That is why it took so long for the transformer lineup to be released...the toy company had to get on the same page as the movie studio...I've heard that Soundwave has been set aside for the sequal so that his alternate mode can be carefully thought of...as he is a very popular transformer...
This might be old news as I am new here, but here is a link to pics of the toy line...SPOILER ALERT!!!!
http://www.tfarchive.org/forum/showthread.php?p=38367#post38367
Overall I think that hollywood liberties aside, this promises to be a great flick...I was 10 years old when the original transformers hit the scene, and I believed it warped me emotionally as an adult...My GF shakes her head every time I add a new TF to my collection, but she doesn't understand why I will spend the bucks to have every freakin transformer toy I could never have as a kid because my parents couldnt always afford to get me that stuff!!!
I liken it to her obsession with owning Coach purses...
$400.00!?!?!?!?!
For a freakin purse??? Twisted Evil
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
Wow so much baseless whining. Seriously, if you wanted something exactly identical to the original go watch the freaking original then. There's going to be modifications, it's jumping mediums after all. The massive changes in Gankutsuou from its original source didn't bother anyone, I guess it's another case of anime can do no wrong but everyone else can do no right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Wow so much baseless whining. Seriously, if you wanted something exactly identical to the original go watch the freaking original then. There's going to be modifications, it's jumping mediums after all. The massive changes in Gankutsuou from its original source didn't bother anyone, I guess it's another case of anime can do no wrong but everyone else can do no right.

This is actually a good point. Though Gankutsuou did make a couple enemies out of some Dumas purists (there's purists for everything, I suppose), for the most part people who were familiar with the original Count of Monte Cristo really seemed to dig Gankutsuou despite the changes made to it. I suppose it's just some "Nature of the Nerd" thing to more fiercely despise any alteration to some sacred, accepted original canon than most, but really it's still ridiculous and irrational to be so closed-minded.

Give the movie a chance. It's not claiming to be a faithful retelling of G1 or whatever, so don't treat it as such and have an open mind.

And y'know, while I'm at it, I've always found it kind of off how the Japanese Transformers anime (Energon, Armada, et al) never seemed to get this kind of scorn. Is it really just because it's a big Hollywood director that people are so up in arms, or what? Because personally, I think the Japanese series did a lot more to eff up the Transformers franchise than anything we've heard of Michael Bay's version of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

For once, I agree. Him turning into a tape is just stupid. What if he turned into an MP3 player or a Gamecube?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Producer Don Murphy said on his message board that Soundwave will transform into a blender. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4