• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate OVA II Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burzmali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
Have I stepped into a timewarp back to 1999? 50 minutes per volume for premium price? I understand it's an OVA and this will be Geneon's only source of profit on it, but holy hell. I finally understand why casual fans only watch friggin' Naruto and Inuyasha. Usually direct-to-video releases in NA are the crappy stuff that couldn't get into theaters, not the cream of the crop!

Geneon will never make back their investment. The only people that will buy these discs at release for full price are established Hellsing fans. The OVA format does not work in America..

You kidding? From the looks of this forum, these folks would pay full price for 5 minute segments if you stuffed it with some glossy pictures and interviews with the producer's girlfriend's former roommates Rolling Eyes
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
Have I stepped into a timewarp back to 1999? 50 minutes per volume for premium price? I understand it's an OVA and this will be Geneon's only source of profit on it, but holy hell. I finally understand why casual fans only watch friggin' Naruto and Inuyasha. Usually direct-to-video releases in NA are the crappy stuff that couldn't get into theaters, not the cream of the crop!

Geneon will never make back their investment. The only people that will buy these discs at release for full price are established Hellsing fans. The OVA format does not work in America..

Don't forget that Geneon probably has a stake in the Japanese sales since they are helping to produce this title, so to say that they aren't going to recover seems wrong to me, not to mention that everyone and their brother is preordering this. Or if not there going to be asking for this title for Christmas.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
I finally understand why casual fans only watch friggin' Naruto and Inuyasha. [/i].
Do casual fans who only watch Naruto and Inuyasha even KNOW what Hellsing is? And of course Hellsing Ultimate was produced for established Hellsing fans. The whole point of producing this OVA was because both Hirano-san and the fans were disappointed with the TV series and they wanted another anime version that stayed closer to Hirano-san's vision. Considering most casual Naruto and Inuyasha fans don't collect direct to video released series, I doubt they're going to care much about this and as I said in my previous post, just be glad you don't live in Japan where the Hellsing Ultimate DVDs cost twice as much as they will here. And if you're still too poor that you can't afford the Hellsing Ultimate DVDs there's always Netflix. Plus, Geneon will probably wnd up releasing a cheaper boxset for this eventually. Until then just stick to reading the manga if you can't afford the anime. Since the new anime series is more accurate to the manga, it's not like you're going to miss out on much if you've already read the manga even if you don't get it right away.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
burzmali wrote:
You kidding? From the looks of this forum, these folks would pay full price for 5 minute segments if you stuffed it with some glossy pictures and interviews with the producer's girlfriend's former roommates Rolling Eyes

Don't post about what you don't understand.

jxh2154 wrote:
"Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is another series that comes to mind."
Er, why? 2nd GIG is $25 a disc, and season one is $17 a disc now. It's actually pretty cheap, and being 7 discs is hardly unheard of.

To be fair on GitS: Sac/2nd GIG, it had the added benefit of mostly being produced, selling well in Japan, being put on TV in the US and selling really well.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This all leads me to a question. Just how well did this do in Japan? I can't read Japanese, but I know a bunch of people here can, so they might be able to answer this.

I guess I am interested in if this is selling well already.

Sorry if I missed it on the news side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alucard662000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
shoot, after seeing the first one, im willing to bet that they will pay triple the amount just to see it!!!! it is truly awsome!
otimus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
....How can people honestly justify a US release with so few episodes or so, and charging a premium price? Truly, my fanbase is a fanbase of deluded sheep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
....How can people honestly justify a US release with so few episodes or so, and charging a premium price? Truly, my fanbase is a fanbase of deluded sheep.

Because not all releases are created equal and people realize that for an OVA release they wind up paying more for the quality?

Yeah, everyone's an ignorant sheep except you.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
....How can people honestly justify a US release with so few episodes or so, and charging a premium price?

I found most American anime fans prefer high episode counts per disc. While this measure saves space and gives an impression of "better bang for the buck," it sacrifices:
  • Video quality. Doesn't matter with small CRT or computer-sized LCD (14"-17"), but makes a big difference on large LCD (32"+) or plasma.
  • Audio quality. How many US releases have LPCM? Not a single one in my knowledge.
  • Cover art.
  • Bonus footages e.g. interviews, commercials, etc.
  • DVD-9 (single layer, double side) has a risk of "disconnection" when changing layers. DVD-5 (single layer, single side) has no such a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
otimus wrote:
....How can people honestly justify a US release with so few episodes or so, and charging a premium price?

I found most American anime fans prefer high episode counts per disc. While this measure saves space and gives an impression of "better bang for the buck," it sacrifices:
  • Video quality. Doesn't matter with small CRT or computer-sized LCD (14"-17"), but makes a big difference on large LCD (32"+) or plasma.
  • Audio quality. How many US releases have LPCM? Not a single one in my knowledge.
  • Cover art.
  • DVD-9 (single layer, double side) has a risk of "disconnection" when changing layers. DVD-5 (single layer, single side) has no such a problem.

Does this mean when you watch a 120 minute movie these things will not be available? Or will you need more than one disk to watch a long movie?

Remember America is about 5 years behind when it comes to home electronics. And we are just entering(very limited) into HD/Blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
  • Cover art.

I agree with you Dormcat, for years I have been so happy with Bandai and how they have kept the Gundam series at 5/4 episodes per a disc. Now that I have a high def TV and will eventually have a blue ray/hd dvd (pending the winner of the format war) I really try to buy releases that have high quality grade on them. IE GITS:SAC, the first season I bought almost all regular edition, except for the last and the difference is so noticeable that for the 2nd GIG I have all special edition disc.

But Dormcat you must remember that Japanese and America market are very difference, Japanese will spend 2-3 times as much on a dvd while receieving half of the episodes, hell I don't like buying a single volume over $20.

But with Blue Ray/HD DVD there are certainly going to be changes made to anime, I don't think that anyone will be able to get away with putting clean opening/closing, an art gallery, and trailer. I am hoping that those days will be over, because I like it when my anime has some real EXTRAS on it.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
otimus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
"Because not all releases are created equal and people realize that for an OVA release they wind up paying more for the quality?

Yeah, everyone's an ignorant sheep except you."

That's a silly excuse. There should never be any sort of premium like that. That's fine in Japan. This is NOT Japan. It's things like that, that just further keep something as a niche here in the states.

A big niche, granted, but still a niche none the less.

There's absolutely no justification for something like this past "That's just the way it is, and I gladly accept it!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
That's a silly excuse. There should never be any sort of premium like that. That's fine in Japan. This is NOT Japan. It's things like that, that just further keep something as a niche here in the states.

A big niche, granted, but still a niche none the less.

There's absolutely no justification for something like this past "That's just the way it is, and I gladly accept it!"

Anime isn't a right, it is a premium item that if you want you need to shell out some money. I don't understand why people are so upset over that. It's just like if you want HBO/Showtime/Stars your going to have to pay a little bit more.

Anime is always going to be a niche here in the US, face it. I doubt that hellsing volume one is going to make the anime market more niche. If casual fans like what they see from hellsing volume one, then they will probably buy volume 2. Besides it's not like you can get anime at every store, there normally at speciality shops, so if your going to places such as these you know that your going to drop a little more dough.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
otimus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
....you're basically just making excuses for price gouging. How can you justify this?

Also, speciality shops are criminally overpriced, especially in comparison to normal retailers and online shops.

They gouge on the basis of misinformed and impatient people.

The kind of people that probably still think everything in english is edited still, and Funimation is still a bad company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7