• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
elfen lied was one of the first animus I saw. The only thing I want to say that it was really good, but with too much nude bodies and blood.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
rederoin wrote:
It honestly is one of the worst anime shows i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of different series.

Why would you say that?

It's not hard,

Oh I know I just though a little elaboration would have been good on a topic like this, that's all. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
rederoin wrote:
It honestly is one of the worst anime shows i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of different series.

Why would you say that?

It's not hard, you just have to think for a second to realise that the premise for the plot is stupid. For the whole show to be the way it is the facility from which Lucy escaped must be run by a bunch of total idiots. And characterization is so flat that it can hardly be called characterization at all. Plus, tasteless fanservice and needless violence. It's very easy to think it is one of the worst anime shows.

Or one of the better ones if you're looking for the reverse opinion. All of that stuff is debatable. Not saying the show is without flaws but those wouldn't be the ones I'd immediately point out. At any rate you haven't even seen it according to your list or at least not all of it, I don't think you're qualified to make some of those statements.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Why would you say that?

It's not hard, you just have to think for a second to realise that the premise for the plot is stupid.

Okay, so let's think for a second - tell me why it's so stupid, or at least stupid compared to the myriad of other outlandishly plotted anime generally regarded as top-tier.

Aylinn wrote:
For the whole show to be the way it is the facility from which Lucy escaped must be run by a bunch of total idiots.

First off, if I remember correctly, Lucy was partially aided in her escape by someone on the inside unbeknownst to most of the guards/personnel of the facility. Second, you can hardly blame someone's idiocy for being savagely mutilated by a virtually indestructible killing machine; the abilities of whom they were clearly misinformed or otherwise ignorant of.

Aylinn wrote:
And characterization is so flat that it can hardly be called characterization at all.

It's a well known fact the the anime was produced before the manga was finished and that, in order to condense the series into the 13 episodes that were produced, certain elements and characters were left out. Regardless, the show does a fair job of presenting the necessary information about the characters for the viewer to at least get the general idea behind their motives. So to say there was 'flat-no characterization' is stretching it a bit.

Aylinn wrote:
Plus, tasteless fanservice and needless violence.

It's a horror anime that's known for its overt and blatantly gratuitous violence/nudity. I'd cite this as as a criticism if it were marketed as a comedy, but one should at least have an idea what they're getting themselves into and what to expect if they just read a brief synopsis of the show.

Aylinn wrote:
It's very easy to think it is one of the worst anime shows.

Based on your assessment, sure, it would be easy to think that. But much of what you referenced is either incorrect, unsubstantiated, or just plain your opinion.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Why would you say that?

It's not hard, you just have to think for a second to realise that the premise for the plot is stupid.

Okay, so let's think for a second - tell me why it's so stupid, or at least stupid compared to the myriad of other outlandishly plotted anime generally regarded as top-tier.

If you are keeping someone as dangerous as Lucy, you must have a plan what to do in case she escapes. They weren't keeping a harmless flower. And it better be a good plan. Instead of trying to shoot her, which quickly proved pointless, they should have thought of another thing to do that would work. For example, they could use gas or something else. Of course, I understand that without their idiocy there would be no 'cool' amount of blood and violence.

Honestly, the antagonists behaved as if the earth would swallow them if they started to act competently.

Sohma_Curse wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
And characterization is so flat that it can hardly be called characterization at all.

It's a well known fact the the anime was produced before the manga was finished and that, in order to condense the series into the 13 episodes that were produced, certain elements and characters were left out. Regardless, the show does a fair job of presenting the necessary information about the characters for the viewer to at least get the general idea behind their motives. So to say there was 'flat-no characterization' is stretching it a bit.

I may have stretched it a bit. But the characterization is still bad no matter how I look at it. Kouta is a generic protagonist. Bland and average guy who suddenly finds he has his own harem of girls interested in him for absolutely no reason. What did he have that made girls like him so much and would make him stand out from millions of average guys? The answer is easy. Nothing. He was slow on the uptake and with zero interesting personality. And you can find harem anime shows with more interesting protagonists.

The girls have one or at best few traits and sad stories glued to them. If someone thinks, it's enough, fine. For me it's too little to count something like that as characterization. It's too dull.

Sohma_Curse wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Plus, tasteless fanservice and needless violence.

It's a horror anime that's known for its overt and blatantly gratuitous violence/nudity. I'd cite this as as a criticism if it were marketed as a comedy, but one should at least have an idea what they're getting themselves into and what to expect if they just read a brief synopsis of the show.

For me good horror =/= gratuitous violence/nudity. I like horrors which try to scary its audience by creating atmosphere. There can be violence and I don’t mind it, but there is a point after which too much of it is ridicules. I find it best when horrors try to use different methods to be scary and violence is only one of them that is used in the right amount and at the right time. Relying on gratuitous violence is the easiest way that doesn’t work for me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn,

One of Sohma_Curse's comments was that you haven't seen the whole series. Is this correct? If so, have you seen the part that shows how Kouta and Lucy met, and what happened as a result? If not, then you have NO IDEA as to why Kouta acts the way he does. Even so, I agree he's a bit flat, but unlike some anime, there's at a partial reason (and a good one) why he is the way he is.

As for Lucy. I seem to recall that she had been holding back while in captivity so that they misconstrued the true extent of her powers (which had been growing). And, as has been noted, she did receive some assistance in getting released.

I would definitely say, though, that this show isn't for everyone. In fact, there are a sizable group of people who I think would not like this show at all. I do like this show, though, mainly because of Lucy, so I'm likely to take kinder interpretation of various events than you do. I'm more willing to work with what the creators were trying to achieve, so I can understand that others aren't as willing and as a result have problems with things that didn't really bother me.... like Lucy's escape.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Aylinn,

One of Sohma_Curse's comments was that you haven't seen the whole series. Is this correct? If so, have you seen the part that shows how Kouta and Lucy met, and what happened as a result? If not, then you have NO IDEA as to why Kouta acts the way he does. Even so, I agree he's a bit flat, but unlike some anime, there's at a partial reason (and a good one) why he is the way he is.

I have seen that. I don't have EL on my list, because after Kouta's cuisine unbelievable stupid "you want to suck on my nipples?" I started to go faster, but I watched some scenes here and there at a normal speed.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

As for Lucy. I seem to recall that she had been holding back while in captivity so that they misconstrued the true extent of her powers (which had been growing). And, as has been noted, she did receive some assistance in getting released.

I still doesn't explain why they were acting incompetently after realising their mistake. At least they should have realised it very quickly.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Aylinn,

One of Sohma_Curse's comments was that you haven't seen the whole series.

That was Kruszer Wink

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I would definitely say, though, that this show isn't for everyone. In fact, there are a sizable group of people who I think would not like this show at all. I do like this show, though, mainly because of Lucy, so I'm likely to take kinder interpretation of various events than you do. I'm more willing to work with what the creators were trying to achieve, so I can understand that others aren't as willing and as a result have problems with things that didn't really bother me.... like Lucy's escape.

I definitely agree it's not for everyone. Obviously there are people who either don't care for gore and nudity or are just plain turned off by it. But the problem I have is that too often I hear things like, 'It's too needlessly graphic and violent and that's why it's a bad show.' When what they really mean is, 'It's too needlessly graphic and violent and that's why I, personally, dislike it.' I could understand if the show was graphic, violent, AND a total trainwreck in every other facet, but it definitely isn't. Certain areas are lacking, sure, but I think it's silly to cite the shows explicit content as the main reason why it's overhyped and/or a bad show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
But the problem I have is that too often I hear things like, 'It's too needlessly graphic and violent and that's why it's a bad show.' When what they really mean is, 'It's too needlessly graphic and violent and that's why I, personally, dislike it.'

This. This so much.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I personally feel that all the violence and sex and rape and what have you is there just to be there, to make the show edgier and 'adult'. I think that all of the gratuities could have been removed without any real loss to the story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Was there really sex in Elfen Lied? It's been seven years since I last watched it but I don't remember any sex in it. Lots of nudity, yes, but that's on a different level than actual sex.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied was ridiculously gratuitous, but I thought it had some real themes beneath all the tits and gore. It's been quite a while since I've seen it, so I don't remember it terribly well, but I do remember some interesting stuff about how situations of higher and lower status races occur, and to what extent the diclonii are violent because they're just like that and to what extent it comes from them being exploited to violent ends by normal humans.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, TAN has now uploaded the French Dub
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Was there really sex in Elfen Lied? It's been seven years since I last watched it but I don't remember any sex in it. Lots of nudity, yes, but that's on a different level than actual sex.

No, but there was touchy feely and it was heavily implied spoiler[Mayu ran away because she was being molested at home by her step father or that he was a creepy pedophile at the very least. ]
Slappydappy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Elfen Lied was the most forgettable piece of trash I've seen in a long while. And to call it a masterpiece...oh goodness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15