• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return Not Announced in Shonen Jump 50

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
I thought the author was struggling with sickness?
I quite doubt "lazyness" is the issue here.

Yea, sickness called laziness, apathy, etc.

You dont know much about his works either right, his laziness is VERY visible and his antics are relatively well known by now.

This guy is lazy and lacks respect toward fans and his manga. He has 0 love and 0 dedication. If he had Yuyo Hakusho would not have ended the way it did, and HxH would not be in the state it is.

Wonder what game he is busy playing to not want to resume HxH this time... Evil or Very Mad

As bakuman is almost a true story, I firmly believe Hiramaru is based on the lazy Togashi, except, 0 likable, unlike Hiramaru. You dont judge a book by its cover, but look at Togashi's pictures, he looks like a real as*.

With his popular manga and his wife's Naoko Takeuchi's, I guess he does not need to work at all and can be lazy all he wants, and he shows it.

bj_waters wrote:

I knew he was big, but I didn't think he had that much clout. Is he really as big of a deal as the other nigh-untouchable manga-kas? I'm talking like Rumiko Takahashi, CLAMP, Akira Toriyama, Ken Akamatsu, Takehiko Inoue, and Naoki Urasawa. I guess I'm just underestimated how huge YYH and HxH is in japan.

Nah, he is not that big, his sucess is only local so far(Japan only) but YuYU Hakusho was super popular and so is Hunter x Hunter but in manga form mainly.

He is light years away from the sucess of big shots like Akira Toriyama, Oda, Rumiko takahashi, Leiji Matsumoto, etc.

His own wife Naoko Takeuchi is a way bigger shot than him with Sailor Moon that reached super-stardom status internationally and that continues to make tons of money.

HxH sells like a million + copies every new volume so I guess the publisher just keeps up with his lazy ass, its not like anyone can reach a million seller per volume and HxH is 15 years old and like One piece, its popularity does not decreases and despite his laziness he still sells, he has a very faithful fanbase (for some strange reason, no matter how good (HxH is great but not THAT great), no work is worth putting up with his lazy butt imo but his core fanbase thinks otherwise evidently).
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
<snip>
I knew he was big, but I didn't think he had that much clout. Is he really as big of a deal as the other nigh-untouchable manga-kas? I'm talking like Rumiko Takahashi, CLAMP, Akira Toriyama, Ken Akamatsu, Takehiko Inoue, and Naoki Urasawa. I guess I'm just underestimated how huge YYH and HxH is in japan.

Probably not as big a deal as someone like Takahashi or Toriyama. Part of his untouchability does depend on the fact that HXH does sell very well, so he can leverage the threat of taking it to another publisher and make big bucks for them. If it was a series that performed poorly instead, he most likely wouldn't be able to get away with this for long.

As far as how well the manga for YYH and HXH did/does in Japan...
According to the top 10 lifetime WSJ sales chart in Shueisha's Media Guide for 2013 (thus, information dated February 2013) (the part relevant to WSJ can be found here):
Yu Yu Hakusho (barely makes it into 10th place thanks to Hokuto no Ken no longer being included...) has a lifetime total sales of 50 million volumes. Over 19 volumes, this gives an average of 2.63 million copies per volume. This is actually noticably less than how Dragonball and Slam Dunk did (these two have lifetime averages of high 3 million per volume), but it's still pretty darn well and beats most WSJ series.
Now, it's lifetime sales, so it can be unfair to compare against series from different eras. So I'll look at initial print numbers, using this site as my source. Why initial print? It's a barometer on the publisher's sales expectations, since they have to strike a balance between additional costly print runs due to underprinting and spending money on storage due to overprinting. And I like to think that expectations of this type are based on prior performance.
There are 5 data points for initial print numbers for Yu Yu Hakusho: 1.2 million for vol 9, 1.65 million for vol 13, 1.7 million for vol 15, and 1.6 million for vol 17 and 19. So what would be a modern comparable to those kind of initial print numbers? Naruto's been recently getting initial prints between 1.5 and 1.6 million.

As for Hunter X Hunter... the media guide gives us 65.87 million total copies sold. With 32 volumes out at the time, that's a lifetime average of 2.05 million. Roughly comparable to Naruto's 131.28 million over 63 volumes (average of ~2.08 million). And the two started roughly a year apart? Close enough that comparing lifetime average still works.

In the sense of manga sales in Japan specifically, Togashi basically made a Naruto, finished that, then started up another Naruto.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
As long as this series doesn't have a crappy ending like YYH, I'm fine with this.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

You don't know much about his works either right, his laziness is VERY visible and his antics are relatively well known by now.

This guy is lazy and lacks respect toward fans and his manga. He has 0 love and 0 dedication. If he had Yuyo Hakusho would not have ended the way it did, and HxH would not be in the state it is.

Wonder what game he is busy playing to not want to resume HxH this time... Evil or Very Mad

As bakuman is almost a true story, I firmly believe Hiramaru is based on the lazy Togashi, except, 0 likable, unlike Hiramaru. You don't judge a book by its cover, but look at Togashi's pictures, he looks like a real as*.

With his popular manga and his wife's Naoko Takeuchi's, I guess he does not need to work at all and can be lazy all he wants, and he shows it.

bj_waters wrote:

Nah, he is not that big, his sucess is only local so far(Japan only) but YuYU Hakusho was super popular and so is Hunter x Hunter but in manga form mainly.

He is light years away from the sucess of big shots like Akira Toriyama, Oda, Rumiko takahashi, Leiji Matsumoto, etc.

His own wife Naoko Takeuchi is a way bigger shot than him with Sailor Moon that reached super-stardom status internationally and that continues to make tons of money.

HxH sells like a million + copies every new volume so I guess the publisher just keeps up with his lazy ass, its not like anyone can reach a million seller per volume and HxH is 15 years old and like One piece, its popularity does not decreases and despite his laziness he still sells, he has a very faithful fanbase (for some strange reason, no matter how good (HxH is great but not THAT great), no work is worth putting up with his lazy butt imo but his core fanbase thinks otherwise evidently).

Where are your sources to say he's lazy? Your saying a lot but not backing anything you say. If he really didn't care he would of just quit because like you said he really doesn't need to do this anymore. Despite that he still remains connected with the series as seen by his role in the anime movie.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
He doesn't need to source laziness. Togashi has nearly no contact with his fans in absence of his manga. Hopefuls will point out that with a TV series and movies that use his involvement, he merely does not have time to return to the manga. Nevertheless, there has been no, "Hey fans, thanks for holding a candle for something you enjoy." It's entirely thoughtless towards fans genuinely curious about something an author has created. Especially something unfinished.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I tend to think that the scribbles for the magazine release of HXH, as well as the art still being scribbles in the last released volume, is fairly likely to be a function and sign of laziness.

Plus, I haven't heard of illness for Togashi being sourced, either.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The long hiatuses Togashi is known for don't really bother me. I'd much rather Jump publish something interesting and he take time off than be handed page after page of filler drivel like most shonen action series.

The amateurish scribbles he's turned in and had Jump run on occasion, however, are just sad and embarassing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, the long hiatuses used to bother me, but I try not to criticize people when I would do a similar thing in their position.

The fact of the matter is, making manga is a long, and tortuous process. You are stuck in a room for days on end and the pressures of making deadlines are intense. It is a system that became the norm due to Tezuka, but Tezuka was an outlier rather than the norm. Togashi's already been there and done that. It is unsurprising that someone would not want to subject themselves to the same hellish conditions forever.

Obviously, Togashi has now reached a position in his career where he can dictate when and how much he writes. And you know what? He's earned it. Unlike most mangaka, he does not use assistants, which increases his workload by more than double. When you take that into consideration, his constant breaks make a lot more sense.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

You don't know much about his works either right, his laziness is VERY visible and his antics are relatively well known by now.

As bakuman is almost a true story, I firmly believe Hiramaru is based on the lazy Togashi, except, 0 likable, unlike Hiramaru. You don't judge a book by its cover, but look at Togashi's pictures, he looks like a real as*.

bj_waters wrote:

Where are your sources to say he's lazy? Your saying a lot but not backing anything you say. If he really didn't care he would of just quit because like you said he really doesn't need to do this anymore. Despite that he still remains connected with the series as seen by his role in the anime movie.

Sure, let me find this interview in which Togashi says: hey I am lazy and could care less about my manga or my fans, or where his publisher says, look, the first time we said his brake was due to "sickness" but in realty he is just lazy.

I do not need sources for what it is evident, all his antics over the years show his laziness and that he doe snot care about his manga or fans at all. He cannot hide it.

Now, its certain he doe snot need to work and he shows he does not want to work at all. First, its not like he can quit for like that, I do not doubt he wants to but probably Shueisha does not let him end HxH as it still sells a lot.

Really, watch Bakuma if you haven't yet, like I said, probably a try story and provides good insight at how this stuff works.

Second and more importantly, when Togashi started HxH in 1998, he still had only one hit, YuYU Hakusho, and Level E manga was not a big hit at all, lasting only 3 volumes, by 1998, he still did not have his life resolved and his future secured, by that time it was still unsure HxH was gonna be a big hit, and it was only until 1999 that he married a big shot like Takeuchi, after that its evident he eventually did not care anymore, sadly, he seems to have a talent that which probably no motivation he still make his manga interesting, I wont deny that, (totally like Hiramaru from Bakuman), his motivation is probably his next brake LOL. Laughing

One of his first big hiatuses was evidently called upon sickness, and the one after that? and the next? and the next? and the next? Shuesha and WSJ just dont say anymore why, theres no way to justify this evidently.

And yep, 0 respect to his fans, really, his laziness just shows.

Even when he does his job, he is still super lazy, just check his manga seriously. His chapters need to be corrected for Tankobun release, evidently such lazy works cannot be released as such, I could bet his wife helps him, actually its rumored she helps him.

Anyone know by now his brakes are duw to anything (most likely laziness) but "sickness", that excuse cannot be used anymore and by now some of his antics are well known or rumored if you wish.

ShaolinWolf wrote:
Y'know, the long hiatuses used to bother me, but I try not to criticize people when I would do a similar thing in their position.

The fact of the matter is, making manga is a long, and tortuous process. You are stuck in a room for days on end and the pressures of making deadlines are intense. It is a system that became the norm due to Tezuka, but Tezuka was an outlier rather than the norm. Togashi's already been there and done that. It is unsurprising that someone would not want to subject themselves to the same hellish conditions forever.

Obviously, Togashi has now reached a position in his career where he can dictate when and how much he writes. And you know what? He's earned it. Unlike most mangaka, he does not use assistants, which increases his workload by more than double. When you take that into consideration, his constant breaks make a lot more sense.

BS.

Not when you have mangaka like Oda that shows passion, dedication real love for what he does, probably for mangaka like him taking a brake is working on that which they love (manga).

Do you think Oda needs to work anymore? He is the most successful mangaka. He can quite today, he is already a millionaire and would continue to get tons of cash, with how dedicate he is, noone would criticize it for much needed brakes or long vacation, guess what? HE DOES NOT, and One Piece is from the same time of HxH, can you tell how many hiatuses he has taken all this time? let alone brakes? Its only recently that he has taken a week or two at much a few times, but before that, always working on what he genuinely loves, AND IT SHOWS; its EVIDENT, we, or at lest me as fan, can get all those feelings from his manga and how he has led his career till now.

Togashi, he is just lazy. No assistants? And it shows in his half backed chapters. It would merit respect if the quality would not diminish, but, who cares, his fans dont mind it, why should he?

When on hiatuses he is reported to work on his lazy magazine chapters for the tankoubon which would be more profitable, so if you dont buy the tankoubon he could care less about magazine only fans, you do not merit a better work from him.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:MrGenial11/Yoshihiro_Togashi%27s_addiction_to_Dragon_Quest_and_Final_Fantasy

Well, I will leave it at that, my posts look as if I have some personal hatred for him Surprised Not really, I enjoy Hunter x Hunter truth to be told, not my fav shounen or series for that matter but still dont like his attitude and wish he had more respect for fans,his won manga and had more dedication.

But lastly:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUNTER×HUNTER

Quote:

人気の一方で休載が非常に多く(1999年以降は毎年10回以上休載している)、本誌
掲載時にはネームに近いラフ画で、背景もほとんど無い状態で掲載されることが
頻繁に発生した。『幽☆遊☆白書』終盤から、その傾向は見られていたが、本作
で下描き掲載が頻繁に見られるようになり、批判や苦情の声が上がっている。
Though popular, hiatuses are extremely frequent. (Since 1999 there has always
been 10 or more issues of hiatus.) When it appeared in the magazine it frequently
was in rough pictures, almost like that of a Name, and appeared with almost
no backgrounds
. This tendency was seen from the end of "Yuu Yuu Hakusho",
but by the frequent appearance of the under sketches appearing as the actual
work, criticisms and complaints arose.

また、休載の理由は主に「作者急病のため」とされていたが、作者が巻末コメント
などで最新のゲームをプレイしたことや旅行に行ってきたことを隠さず書き、さ
らにコミックマーケットなどの同人誌即売会に参加し、同人誌を発行している姿
も確認されていた。このため、休載の理由と真実を明らかにしないことと、「休
載が多い = 打ち切り」にしない編集部の体質も、批判や苦情の対象となっている。
ラフ画の状態で本誌に掲載された場合、単行本化される際に直されるが、修正作
業を行うために本誌の連載を休む、本末転倒な傾向がある。次第に「急病」という
理由での休載は減り、「作者の都合」とされるようになった。
Also, the reason for the hiatuses was mainly written as "because of sudden illness of the author", but the author's comments at the end of the volumes wrote, not hiding anything, that he was playing the latest games and going on trips. As well, he had been participating in doujinshi sales exhibitions in the comic market, he was confirmed seen publishing doujinshi. Because of this, the reason for the hiatuses and the truth not being clear, and so that it wouldn't be "Many hiatuses = Cancellation", the editorial department became a target of criticism and complaints. Though the rough pictures in the magazine were fixed in the volume versions, in order to do refined work, the serialization in the magazine was put on hiatuses, having this tendency to have their priorities backwards. Gradually the reason of "sudden illness" decreased, and it became "circumstances of the author".

2005年50号から「病気」という理由で休載し、2006年8号に再開したが、11号に掲
載されたのを最後に長期休載となった。当初は2006年 4月に再開予定だったがそ
の様子はなく、出版社側からの説明やジャンプ誌面での休載のお知らせなどは全
くなかった。連載を中断している漫画は他誌などでは少なからず存在し、1年以上
の長期休載は漫画業界全体ではそれほど珍しいことでないとしても、『少年ジャ
ンプ』というメジャーな雑誌での70週以上もの長期休載は極めて異例である。
From issue 50 of 2005 with the reason of "illness" it went on hiatus. Though
it started again in issue 8 of 2006, in issue 11, its appearance ended with
a hiatus for an extended amount of time. At first it was planned to be resumed
in April of 2006, but this did not occur, and there was no explanation about
a hiatus from the publisher nor a notice in Jump itself. Mangas which have
breaks in serialization in other magazines are extremely few in number.
Though for a manga to have an extended hiatus of over a year overall not
extremely rare over the entire manga industry, though for the major magazine
"Weekly Jump", a hiatus lasting over 70 weeks is an extreme exception to
the norm.

そして、2007年44号に突如連載再開が予告され、2008年新年2号まで10週連続限定
という形で掲載される。この再開の2日前の2007年10月4日に、単行本24巻を前巻
から1年7ヶ月ぶりに発売した。これ以降も休載を挟んで連載は継続されている。

And in issue 44 of 2007, there was suddenly a notice that serialization
would continue. It appeared in the form of 10 consecutive issues until issue
2 of 2008. Two days before this resumption, on October 4th 2007, Volume
24, the previous volume's worth of manga from 1 year and 7 months previous
went on sale. From here on, there have been serializations with hiatuses
interposed.

***Translation not mine

And another translation form back in 93 of why YuYU ended the way it did, basically, as I've been saying, Yogashi is Hinamaru from Bakuman, he wants to have fun playing games, he want lots of sleep and the work of a mangaka is VERY demanding, and Togashi definitely prefers to have fun and has no passion or dedication for manga at all, so in short, he does not like being a mangaka and the hard work it encompasses, with his priorities, he chose the wrong job:

Quote:
First Page:
Ending of Serialization
~Looking back, defeat announcement-
*For those who want to know the conclusion fast, just go ahead to the end of the next page.

That I was finally able to complete it, speaking openly my pleasant feelings honestly is the biggest thing.
It's not that I've lost all attachment to the work, but more like the stress had severely exceeded my will.
Anyway, the half-year until the end has been long and terrible.
Truthfully, I had planned to end it in around December of '93. [It actually ended in July of 1994.]
Far from that, I was forcibly implored by the editorial department, but...
To give all of the large and small reasons it would total about 50, but I'll give you the three main reasons.
(1)For convenience of my health (2)My way of thinking regarding the manga (3)Desires outside work.
(3) Is out of the question.
In short, I want to have fun, I want to relax, and I very much want to sleep, that sort of thing.
But the majority of the 50 reasons lie here.
(1)Is a result of not fulfilling (3) up until now.
From when I was first serialized until about the martial arts tournament [I guess he means the Dark Tournament], my weekly time off went to half days of sleep.
Outside of that, I had continuing days where I took naps to relieve stress which cut down on my sleep time, but it made it pretty enjoyable.
But as in an RPG, my HP was definitely decreasing, with how around when I did a 31 Page One-Shot and a Center Color in succession so I didn't sleep all night, I started to have heart pains, and that time shrank.
Around that time I started to think kinda seriously about my working pace.
I thought "Even if it's impossible to live a regular daily life schedule, if I draw so I can sleep precisely when I want to, I wonder what pace I can work at?"
I acted on it.
Manuscripts started being late really quickly.
But I avoided all-nighters the best I could.
At this time I started to change the way I dealt with my manga for work.
"I don't wanna die from overwork from my work. If I do suddenly then the time for having fun and the time for writing manuscripts as I want will be fine. Color manuscripts are scary. One-Shots are scary." [This paragraph is weird as hell... This should be what he's saying.]
In addition to sleep time, I started to lose time for reliving stress.
And I reached the first peak of sending in manuscripts late in the battle between Sensui and Yusuke.

Second Page:
But at that point, I realized I was building a completely different level of stress than I had up until that point.
Keeping in shape and reliving stress up until that point had brought about a new stress. "I can't satisfactorily do manuscripts." The origin of problem (2).
If you're someone with liked drawings that it's said to attract people with your drawing power, than any ambition they have will be pushed to their utmost limits. [This sentence is weird, too.]
I know that because when I was new, Hagiwara Kazushi-san's editor a the time, T-shi showed it to me. [The mangaka who writes BASTARD!]
If I'm honest, his drawings totally outmatch mine, I thought.
But "If I can, I want to draw it all myself."
I couldn't throw away that ideal.
During Yu Yu Hakusho's serialization, there were a ton of times when I did entire manuscripts alone.
That's when the stress reached its peak.
I don't know if I can make this understandable, but the method I used for reducing stress from when I couldn't satisfactorily do manuscripts was "Finishing the manuscripts by myself.".
The result was those weeks' manuscripts were really crappy. The backgrounds and the characters were scribbles. The one-shot Two-Shot, Karasu VS Kurama, Yusuke meeting with Raizen were all mostly drawn alone.
The second two chapters, according to comments from certain postcards, were 19 pages done half a day right before falling. [No idea what this sentence means.]
I might have been eliminated as a pro, but I was still self-satisfied.
Already, at this point, a reason to suppress the "No matter how people feel, or how rough the manuscripts get, I want to draw what I want alone." feeling had been lost.
It's unfortunate, Yu Yu Hakusho's characters got completely stuck to the commercial magazine basis.
Really that was if you wanted to get rid of a character who was finished, all you could do was keep them around doing the same things until the readers got tired of them.
If you tried to get rid of a character like that in Jump, of course it would get rejected.
I didn't have the physical strength to endure doing the same thing over again anymore.
There's where I realized the thing I'd always thought.
"If I'm able to be serialized in Jump for a long time, I'll end the work of my own will."
The system where if the questionnaire results were bad you would be canceled in 10 weeks in Jump was something I was made aware of.
On the contrary, that becomes encouragement, with consciousness of "influence from the readers" you could be able to study various things.
But I ended up not thinking about that at all and wanting to draw the manga solely for my self-satisfaction.
I couldn't think of any work that could match up to those Jump reader's standards, so I gave up the challenge. I'll summarize all of these sentences:

stopped out of selfishness. I'm sorry.

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
i think he is the only guy that make two super popular series. You can't cancel his series because they always sell. What company hates money? And he has more leverage over Shonen Jump.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:

If Togashi has this kind of clout, why can't he simply move HxH to a monthly magazine which (I'm assuming) is less stressful, kind of like what D. Gray Man did? Sure DGM doesn't bring the same numbers, but I think if trying to come up with chapters on a weekly basis is the problem, put him in a different magazine. Considering that HxH is fifteen years old now, I'd speculate that most of his fans are older and wouldn't mind him switching magazines.

Of course, looking over dan9999's massive post, one wonders if Togashi's ideal schedule isn't 10 chapters every 2 years. It's hard to deny that there's some considerable irresponsibility going on here. If he's really sick, then why is still putting out manga? If he's tired of the series, why doesn't he just drop it? If he's really just stringing this thing along to make money without any effort, then maybe Shueisha needs to grow some balls and push Togashi back a little. It's one thing to milk a franchise; it's another to be milked for it. It's like Togashi is holding HxH for ransom!

Granted, there's a lot of speculation here, but such a peculiar situation, one can't help but wonder just what the devil is going on.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'm actually wondering if the reason he wanted a second anime series was that he was signaling the manga was ending.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

BS.

Not when you have mangaka like Oda that shows passion, dedication real love for what he does, probably for mangaka like him taking a brake is working on that which they love (manga).

Do you think Oda needs to work anymore? He is the most successful mangaka. He can quite today, he is already a millionaire and would continue to get tons of cash, with how dedicate he is, noone would criticize it for much needed brakes or long vacation, guess what? HE DOES NOT, and One Piece is from the same time of HxH, can you tell how many hiatuses he has taken all this time? let alone brakes? Its only recently that he has taken a week or two at much a few times, but before that, always working on what he genuinely loves, AND IT SHOWS; its EVIDENT, we, or at lest me as fan, can get all those feelings from his manga and how he has led his career till now.

Togashi, he is just lazy. No assistants? And it shows in his half backed chapters. It would merit respect if the quality would not diminish, but, who cares, his fans don't mind it, why should he?

There are many mangaka that are able to withstand the brutal schedule, but it doesn't mean we should expect it from everyone. Also, Oda has four assistants, while Togashi has none. That means a lot.

I would not argue that 'laziness' has a role to play in this. But do I understand why Togashi would want to take time off when writing manga is such a merciless process? Yeah. We've grown so accustomed to mangaka churning out chapters as quickly as possibly that we forget how difficult it is and take it as a personal affront when they do not.

Also, if Togashi had just quit outright due to not wanting to work anymore or wanting to respect the fans, then we never would have got the Chimera Ant Arc. In the end, despite the examples of poor artwork, I find the arc equal in quality and enjoyment to the rest of the series. If waiting a lot means we'll get another great arc like that, then count me in.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

BS.

Togashi, he is just lazy. No assistants? And it shows in his half backed chapters. It would merit respect if the quality would not diminish, but, who cares, his fans don't mind it, why should he?

There are many mangaka that are able to withstand the brutal schedule, but it doesn't mean we should expect it from everyone. Also, Oda has four assistants, while Togashi has none. That means a lot.

I would not argue that 'laziness' has a role to play in this. But do I understand why Togashi would want to take time off when writing manga is such a merciless process? Yeah. We've grown so accustomed to mangaka churning out chapters as quickly as possibly that we forget how difficult it is and take it as a personal affront when they do not.

Also, if Togashi had just quit outright due to not wanting to work anymore or wanting to respect the fans, then we never would have got the Chimera Ant Arc. In the end, despite the examples of poor artwork, I find the arc equal in quality and enjoyment to the rest of the series. If waiting a lot means we'll get another great arc like that, then count me in.

Why not hire assistants instead of compromising the quality of his work? Again, this IS NOT something worth of praise when the quality he delivers as a "pro" (art) leaves much to be desired and is less than amateurish.

It would be worth of praise if he did not have assistants, BUT did not cause trouble for his publisher and editor constantly braking deadlines, did not cause trouble for the fans, did not produce an amateurish quality.. for a pro, if he was delivering a work with a minimum of standard as a pro, then it would be worth of praise. Like it was mentioned above, if a weekly schedule is too much, why not do a monthly serialization instead?

I did not mention Oda wanting and ODA in all mangakas, but a minimum of passion, dedication and respect is needed, Togashi does not have them at all, he has clearly stated he rather relax and have fun, like Togashi there is NONE, only he is infamous for his antics, not all are as dedicated as ODA but they are pros and maintain a standard of professionalism. Togashi has even admitted not being a pro and would not aim to be after YuYU Hakusho, he also stated he would not care about his fans either or the quality of his work, yet he still has talent for the story at least and a faithful fanbase which makes him a big manga seller, he does not deserve the sucess at all but yet again, he does have talent which is a shame not to use right, YuYU and HxH would have been a lot better if this talent was deposited in a more professional and dedicated mangaka, someone that really loved his manga AND cared for his fans.

The problem I see with him is that he does not like to work at all, he liked to draw apparently, but he does not like the schedule of a professional, something he discovered after mere 3 years as a pro with YuYU and that broke him down, he would have been better being amateur or drawing manga, doujin maybe as a hobby not as a pro, I guess that is why he loved to work on dounjinshi and attended comiket and published doujin when he was apparently "sick". Togashi simply has no ethics.

He should have quit right after YuYU Hakusho if he did not like the pressure of a pro, he saw that he was not cut for it but I conclude that his desire for a relaxing fun life need more money, with only one local hit it was not enough, so he decided to do another one which was not that good and then HxH which was again a hit, then he married a super famous rich mangaka, HxH became a hit even with his lazy quality, fans would still buy in part because HxH is indeed quite good despite the poor art work and then eventually he just realized he got the life he so desired and the constant big hiatuses started so he could have fun and sleep a lot, I can only think he does not quit HxH simply because unlike with YuYU now he does as he pleases, fans put up with his antics and still sells a lot, so Shueisha also pouts up with him as its not affecting the manga sales, AMAZINGLY SO. So lucky this Togashi.

The below link only covers until 2004 but this so many hiatuses are only the reflection of his laziness, he did it since the beginning with a mere dozen of chapters, really, no shame:

http://comipress.com/article/2007/02/11/1492

And of course we know it got even worst by 2006-2007. Jump even decreased the pages to 15 pretty early in the life of HIATUS x HIATUS to help him and it was even worst, lol, really, you have to wonder what kind of influence Togashi has.

Really, Togashi has no justification no matter how you want to see it, just none. His talent is sadly wasted on him but at the samr time his works are so successful, really, as I said amazingly so, he is lucky to have gotten way with his lazy ways.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
I too would love to see the Hunter x Hunter manga continue, but it's entirely up to the author whether he wants to continue it or not.

To paraphrase Neil Gaiman, Yoshihiro Togashi is not your b*tch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3