• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Discs Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that Funimation screwed themselves over with the Level sets. They had pretty much exploited the Dragon Ball fandom to the point of saturation:

Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks (DVD) - 2007 to 2009
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box (DVD) - 2009 to 2011
Dragon Ball Z Kai (DVD/BD) - 2010 to present
Dragon Ball Z: Level Sets (BD) - 2011 to 2012

Don't forget only a few months ago they released this all-new Rock The Dragon Box including the Blue Ocean Dub just this year. By the time winter comes, they'll have released at least two versions of DBZ within the same year.

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't care about original aspect ratio...

[...]It wasn't originally made in 1080p and the whole point of remastering is altering the original content.

No. Remastering is about improving, not degrading. You scan a good master source at a high resolution, then clean up and adjust what you can to make it resemble as close to the original as possible. Removing all the grain, cranking the colors over 9,000, cutting off the top and bottom of the frame, then stretching the sides to fit a widescreen display is not an improvement at all.

Your comments show you know absolutely nothing about film and only goes to prove Mr. Adventure's point that people who don't know anything won't care, and thus, will only continue to support FUNi's egregious treatment of this particular franchise.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
LOL, how is it egregious? Just buy the dragon boxes or kai if you hate 16:9. This release is clearly for people that don't have an issue with 16:9. They sell a product that's 4:3. If you want that one, but that one. Stop crying that they've given the market options for people who want it in 4:3 and those who want it in 16:9. Clearly I want it in 16:9 but I'm not crying a river over the fact that they sell a 4:3 version.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It wasn't originally made in 1080p and the whole point of remastering is altering the original content. This release isn't for you if alterations bring you to tears.

If it was cell-animated (before digital era) it might as well be. Heck you could go straight to 4K...(though the benefits would be small at that point).

It's only when we enter the 2000 and the start of 'digital era' that we have an entire decade of true loss of HD of anime, for any possibility of true HD remakes, until the pixels started pushing up in this one to make digital HD true.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Just buy the dragon boxes or kai if you hate 16:9.

The Dragon Boxes were a limited release. The second Dragon Box now regularly hits $400 in second-hand sales... and these are actual sales, not just theoretical eBay listings.

It was, and remains, the only officially-released North American product of uncut, bilingual, DBZ TV episodes 35-67 in its original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Dragon Ball Kai contains different music* and different voice recordings / cast members on both the original Japanese and English dub side. It is not a valid substitute for the original version of the show if you are looking to specifically purchase the original version of the show.

*Yamamoto vs Kikuchi, etc. I know, I get it Razz.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd also think that people aware that the show should be in 4:3 wouldn't take kindly to Kai's amateurish scene recreations that stick out with the rest of the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
LOL, how is it egregious? Just buy the dragon boxes or kai if you hate 16:9. This release is clearly for people that don't have an issue with 16:9. They sell a product that's 4:3. If you want that one, but that one. Stop crying that they've given the market options for people who want it in 4:3 and those who want it in 16:9. Clearly I want it in 16:9 but I'm not crying a river over the fact that they sell a 4:3 version.

Yeah, they don't have an issue because they're ignorant casuals. They're the types that preferred pan and scan versions of films before they bought a 16:9 screen, and then they don't like things produced in 4:3 for the same reasons. I was like that too, when I was a child who didn't know any better. I bet you and those kind would prefer Disney crop Snow White and Fantasia too, eh? Like someone else stated, just because it's DBZ doesn't mean it's okay to fudge around with this stuff, they might get ideas on other releases.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I'm the type who generally prefers titles to appear in their original form as well, but all this effing kvetching about "children" and uneducated boobs who have the temerity to like a different visual style kind of makes me want to puke.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Clearly, you have no idea what the word "integrity" means and are just another part of the mass majority that doesn't give a fudge about it. Thanks for losing.
Paradox295

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
The new sets will be in widescreen format.

Thank god. I remember buying Kai sets and being really disappointed that the legit product wasn't 16:9 like the fansubs were. The fansubs never felt like content was falling off the edges so getting a real product with huge black bars on the side felt like a major fall off to me. I like content that properly displays on my television.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't care about original aspect ratio. I've seen it in 16:9 and I wasn't missing anything and it looked great. You have dragon boxes and the Kai sets if you loathe DBZ in 16:9. Now people that love it in 16:9 have a product they can buy and enjoy. Why does this hurt your heart? Don't like, don't buy.

It wasn't originally made in 1080p and the whole point of remastering is altering the original content. This release isn't for you if alterations bring you to tears.

See, those two sentences I bolded? They contradict each other.

If you "like content that properly displays on my television", then you have to care about the original aspect ratio. Fact is, if you're watching Dragon Ball Z in 16:9, it isn't being properly displayed on your television.

Here is how Dragon Ball Z is supposed to look:

Here's how that image is displayed on your widescreen TV:

Now, if we're an idiot and want to "fill muh whole screen", we have 2 options.

First is to stretch the picture out, distorting the image, making it look unnatural, similar to the TV broadcasts (and thus your fansubs) of DBZ Kai:

Or, we can cut off the top and the bottom, losing 25% of the image:

For option 1, we're distorting the image heavily. For option 2, we're losing a large amount of the picture. In both cases, we're gonna be screwing with the original artwork that the creators made.

If you call yourself a DBZ fan. You do not want to to do that.

"Remastering" does not mean "taking shitty footage, pressing a button and making it look like it was made last week". It means that you are remaking the master copy with the original footage.

Here's Fight Club.

This is what you get when you watch the DVD on your HDTV: http://i3.minus.com/ibxuBjJngDYuUw.png

This is the same movie, but on BluRay: http://i4.minus.com/iOlKdZrCf5PfX.png

BluRay looks significantly better, doesn't it?

But you don't really think they (quote unquote) "remastered" the DVD, and put that out on BluRay, do you?

No. Both of those are from the 35mm film source. With a completely new master copy made for the BluRay.

But that isn't what Funimation are doing. What Funi are doing, is taking the same masters they used to make the season sets with, adding a shit ton of grain removal (which is a no-no. Look at the BD of Fight Club. Grainy, innit?), pumping up the brightness and cropping a bunch of the footage off so it "fills the screen".

All to convince people that it looks good.

And it does. Honestly, if you didn't show me other footage of DBZ to compare it to, I'd say this DBZ looks great. It looks like a show from 2013.

But that isn't a good thing. DBZ is not from 2013. It's from 1989. If you want to remove any problems that have been in there since 1989, then you're also going to be removing details.

That's why every other company that releases their shows and movies on BluRay leaves the grain in. You don't think Funimation is smarter than other companies. Do you?

Oh, and notice something else about Fight Club? The image doesn't fill the fuckin screen.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw DBKai in 16:9 and really enjoyed every second of it. I didn't see egregious and blasphemous content like you guys did. I saw a cool show that looked great on my tv. Now I can get the whole series like that. If that makes me casual, so be it. I like stuff that looks great on my tv. That's the whole reason I spent as much as I did on my tv.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
And stuff can still look great on your TV without being 16:9. 2.55:1 Lady and the Tramp BD, here I come. But maybe you are right, maybe it's best if the picture fills the screen, but even a 21:9 TV wouldn't help me here.
Paradox295

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I saw DBKai in 16:9 and really enjoyed every second of it. I didn't see egregious and blasphemous content like you guys did. I saw a cool show that looked great on my tv. Now I can get the whole series like that. If that makes me casual, so be it. I like stuff that looks great on my tv. That's the whole reason I spent as much as I did on my tv.

Can you not see the pictures? Please tell me how the third and fourth pictures do not look terrible compared to the second one to you.

Does that third image really "look[ed] great on my tv"? Or does it not look like a stretched out mess?

I'm not calling you "casual" or anything, but you're encouraging a company to release a crappy product, just because you're distracted by the black bars on your tv, and aren't concentrating on the actual TV show.

Hell, you can get the show like that if you want, even if the disc itself is 4:3, by using one of the Zoom or Pan and Scan options. You can watch the show with your screen filled and we're not gonna stop you. However, you advocating for this is forcing the rest of us to watch it like that. No thanks.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
No. Just no. Stop already. You can't keep re-releasing this over and over and over again! I refuse to buy it yet again lol. Then again there must be alot of suckers, errr..loyal fans who keep buying it or they wouldn't keep putting out new releases every 3 days. I love me some DBZ but come on they are milking this puppy dry.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I hate to encourage someone as insufferable as "Mr. sickVisionz", but Dragon Ball Kai received selective cropping, from Toei Animation, to ensure important details remained on-screen. It's a valid presentation of the show, as opposed to FUNimation taking a hacksaw and cutting off the top and bottom of the image and stretching it out.

That being said, there are two important things to note: One, that Dragon Ball Kai is not Dragon Ball Z, and two, that this Blu-ray release is that exact same destroyed footage as the Orange Brick DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5