• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Keepin' It Neil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
That Crimson Star Media guy... I don't know whether to laugh at the guy's foolishness or to feel sorry for him for digging himself into such a giant hole pursuing a dream so earnestly. Which seems to host's reactions too. Sounds like an absolute cluster screw for people like Neil who were peripherally involved.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved hearing Neil talk about his philosophy on translating, and his stories about working in the industry. If he wants to ever be on the show again to talk about his work, or the theoretical "bad anime" episode, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I can feel that Mad Bull 34 will always show up on those bad anime episodes, but I just watched and enjoyed that OVA. It's horrible in most ways, but still hilarious and I loved that dub. It'd be great to see a BD of it someday, as I think it's still a rung above most of the other generically bad OVAs of old.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I can feel that Mad Bull 34 will always show up on those bad anime episodes, but I just watched and enjoyed that OVA. It's horrible in most ways, but still hilarious and I loved that dub. It'd be great to see a BD of it someday, as I think it's still a rung above most of the other generically bad OVAs of old.

Mad Bull 34 isn't worse than say AD Police or Angel Cop. What really kills it is the dub. Such a shitty shitty dub. Even for early ninties standards it was shit. Funny but atrocious. I hope never to hear it again.
And a BD version should it eventually come out should have a hopefully new and better dub.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I found the dub hilariously cheesy and appropriate for the anime. You really only need Sleepy and Daizaburo's voices, and I felt they both worked for better or worse, bad accents as all. I'm not sure I'd want to see it redubbed, why bother?
docsane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for all the good vibes coming from the comments. I enjoyed being on the podcast and I'm really glad some of you found it interesting. Me, I'm always amazed that people want to listen to me at all.

As far as the whole Corey Maddox thing, I just had to laugh. I really could have used the money from that thing the month it all went down, but all I really lost was some time and effort for a couple weeks when I didn't have another project to do. I still feel sorry for that kid, because nobody's life should get ruined over anime.

And I'd love to talk about bad anime, if only to crowd source new ideas for the Totally Lame Anime panel I like to do.
docsane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Ah, Crystal Triangle, I remember that movie. It raised so many questions. Like what does God need with a spaceship? Or why is God a large green Caterpie? Although given how bizarre that entire movie is, I'd give even odds that the writers really did want to refer to AK-74s.

Funny thing: in all the arguing I did with Cliff about that one stupid line, I learned that the AK-74's chief difference with the AK-47 is that it fires 7.62mm ammo and is visually almost identical to the old gunm save for a slightly longer flash suppressor on the end of the barrel. Lo and behold, the animators actually did take the trouble to draw that suppressor correctly, so the CIA agent/archeologist/hot babe with a gun in the movie wasn't mistaken about the weapons they were using.

I still own a copy of Small Arms of the World for reference.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Mad Bull 34 isn't worse than say AD Police or Angel Cop. What really kills it is the dub. Such a shitty shitty dub. Even for early ninties standards it was shit. Funny but atrocious. I hope never to hear it again.
And a BD version should it eventually come out should have a hopefully new and better dub.

Buddy, even if the acting is a bit off the script totally fits the kitsch of the show. Loose cannon cops who don't play by the rules in pre-Giuliani New York as envisioned by the Japanese? Swearing up and down would be the only acceptable way to dub them! Though I will say, the one true "bad" performance is Lisa Ross as Perrine, as she gives up by episode 3 and defaults to a British accent.

And I wouldn't get your hopes up for a BD. Mad Bull (the anime that is) is practically a non entity in Japan, and Discotek's DVD was clearly culled from old analog video materials. I wouldn't be surprised if Magic Bus or whoever through the film out long ago.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is either projection or you misinterpreting me completely. Either way it's not fair and isn't at all accurate. I loved having Neil on.

We conduct these interviews via Skype, so there is some awkwardness when it comes to knowing when someone's done speaking - you don't have the usual visual cues that let you know when someone's finished. So I usually err on the side of caution and let a pause happen before moving on, which might be what you're hearing.

Either way, your reading of it is really uncharitable to me and kind of insulting. But hey, thanks for listening.

Sorry Zac, I wasn't trying to insult you, but what I was perceiving sounded like exaggerated sighs. That's why I really was wondering if you were okay and not under the weather or going on two hours of sleep, because it seemed out of character for a host, and could see a guest as taking it the wrong way.
I don't listen to podcasts to pick apart hosts I don't like, I have better things to do with my time, so I was genuinely curious to see if other people were hearing what I was hearing.
I do see how what I wrote can read that way, so apologies again, that's not what I intended.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Well at least you can get a Bad Debt tax deduction for 2013 I guess to soften that blow.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
But that's nothing compared to ten years ago, when it was vogue to leave half the text in Japanese. We of course know that Keikaku means plan, but I've seen fansubbers leave simple things from nakama (comrade) to bukatsu (club) to hai (yes) untranslated.

You want obnoxious weeboory? I saw a fansub that splashed a giant, distracting translation note across the top of the screen to explain something in the background that had no bearing on what the characters were talking about.

That is pretty annoying and I don't feel like pausing on every single frame for that stuff.

invalidname wrote:
rec.arts.anime and FidoNet… wow, thank you for making me feel old yet again. Now excuse me while I go join the Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter.

I loved Usenet and was even once complimented on being the top poster on rec.arts.animation.

vanfanel wrote:
The mention of rec.arts.anime.misc made me nostalgic and inspired me to go back for a look around there...a few familiar usernames are still posting, but the big shocker was spotting a thread with a [GRIT] header. "That thing is still alive?!" Nope, just a spambot replying to a thread from 1998. Very Happy

Doesn't surprise me, I'm sure that happens a lot.

docsane wrote:
Funny thing: in all the arguing I did with Cliff about that one stupid line, I learned that the AK-74's chief difference with the AK-47 is that it fires 7.62mm ammo and is visually almost identical to the old gunm save for a slightly longer flash suppressor on the end of the barrel. Lo and behold, the animators actually did take the trouble to draw that suppressor correctly, so the CIA agent/archeologist/hot babe with a gun in the movie wasn't mistaken about the weapons they were using.

At least that's one thing to take away from the film that made sense regardless of the confusion Neil had to sort through.

ActionJacksin wrote:
And I wouldn't get your hopes up for a BD. Mad Bull (the anime that is) is practically a non entity in Japan, and Discotek's DVD was clearly culled from old analog video materials. I wouldn't be surprised if Magic Bus or whoever through the film out long ago.

That's assuming we're talking the original camera negatives here. If those are still safe in some vault in Tokyo, perhaps it's more a hassle of not getting around to digging that out and merely sending over a video master anyway.

LordByron227 wrote:
Well at least you can get a Bad Debt tax deduction for 2013 I guess to soften that blow.

See why anime isn't worth it, kids? Razz
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know the name of the opening song on this episode?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLM_tP1_sz0
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLM_tP1_sz0

It's nice when it's a tune only I know of. I've been digging the past few ANNCast calling attention to classic cartoons of the 60's personally.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Adam Wednesdays wrote:

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved hearing Neil talk about his philosophy on translating, and his stories about working in the industry. If he wants to ever be on the show again to talk about his work, or the theoretical "bad anime" episode, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

And the old skirmishes with Trish Ledoux. Laughing
LordByron227

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:

See why anime isn't worth it, kids? Razz[/quote]

Hey, my Federal Taxation class was still fresh in my mind when this ANNCast came out, so yea... I hate my major.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3