• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Vixens (Ikki Tousen)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with geishageek, take the plot for what it is. It's not supposed to be some Death Note or Eden or any other master plot. It's pure plian and simple a guilty pleasure read. You read it for the silly over the top parts and the fighting (and of course t&a). I take it, and other mangas and books for what they are. If you don't expect a great award winning plot then you're not disappointed when you pick up something like Battle Vixens. You know what kind of manga it is so why compare it or expect something (good plot) from something you know doesn't fit that category. Maybe the english translation is different, maybe it's better or maybe it's worse. Who cares? You gotta keep something in context when judging it. It would be like compairing Ernest goes to Jail to say....Amistad.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I've got no problem with "guilty pleasures," but Ikki Tousen isn't a very good one. Something like Tengo Tenge or a number of other shonen succeeds much more in creating engaging fight scenes and a humorously over-the-top approach than this title. To be honest though I probobly have to agree with Monumension now that I think about it; I still don't have any desire to read either version though.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
yea TenTen is a good one but many people are not picking it up because of the edits. I for one, was not happy about the edits but I do have all current volumes put out by CMX. It is enjoyable none the less, but I will leave that arguement for another time Evil or Very Mad

It just comes down to your preference I guess. I have a lot of guilty pleasures and Battle Vixens and Battle Club are included on that list. I read them for a good read and a good time. Nothing more, nothing less. They are fun stories with hot girls in them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2