• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Show Akira, Summer Wars, 1st FMA Film, Trigun Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Boy, when was the last time Akira was aired on basic cable? The days of Sci Fi Channel's Saturday Anime block?

Summer Wars feels like an odd choice. It's basically a family movie.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
So no Bleach for the month of December(looking back at whenever Adult Swim aired a movie it started on Bleach's air time)?
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

Well, there's gonna have to be a bleep over one scene, and there's some pretty bloody action scenes...
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Cartoon Network and Boomerang suffer from heavy recompression on both of the satellite services, based on the idea that it's just cartoons and nobody will really care.

For a film like Akira, it's going to take the actual BD to really do it justice.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
AKIRA will definitely be censored, but I wonder if they'll be showing the DVD or BD as far as quality goes. I have to say, I really do like Toonami going this route over just TV series, and I hope films and OVAs become more common.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
Cartoon Network and Boomerang suffer from heavy recompression on both of the satellite services, based on the idea that it's just cartoons and nobody will really care.

For a film like Akira, it's going to take the actual BD to really do it justice.

It's funny because flat plains, expanses of colors, and sharp definite lines, tend to do worse when highly compressed, whereas the constant soft blurred edges of real life can get away with it better. My guess is it will be the HD version, because FUNi will want to whore their new BD. Speaking of which, does that mean another ANN review? "Yep, it's still AKIRA."
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
Got all these films on blu-ray. Aaah, first FMA movie, it was bloody awesome. A great conclusion to one of the best anime imo.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Boy, when was the last time Akira was aired on basic cable? The days of Sci Fi Channel's Saturday Anime block?

I was wondering the same thing.

Akira will be good for AS Toonami. It's the iconic anime for many mainstream fans.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

Well, there's gonna have to be a bleep over one scene, and there's some pretty bloody action scenes...

There are NO 'bloody action scenes'. It IS more of family movie. CN/Toonami won't censor any of scenes in Summer Wars.

Out of 4, Akira and FMA Movie are the only ones I have not seen before. I already own DVDs of Trigun: Badlands and Summer Wars.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Did they show Conquer before? I don't recall them doing so. If not its time for many viewers to be disappointed by that craptacular ending to a great show.

Wonder what will be cut for Akira. Doesn't matter though, it's solid either way.

Didn't like Summer Wars at all. Wonder if this will lead to viewers who feel the same.

Trigun, well it's too little too late for me. I haven't had a strong desire to watch this as its been years since I finished the tv series. Will I watch it now? Maybe, but probably not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
I've already seen all four of these, so don't plan to hop back onto Toonami for December helpings. Of the bunch, I can only picture Akira running into some sort of censorship when it does premiere on the block.

But with Space Dandy coming along in January, seeing the series will lure me back into seeing what was my gateway drug into anime over a decade ago. Not every day you get an anime that premieres in America before Japan gets it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adamb15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Considering Conqueror of Shamballah is part of the first FMA, and not FMA Brotherhood, I really hope Toonami uses a bump to explain this fact. Otherwise it's going to screw up a LOT of newer/younger anime watchers.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Never saw Akira, maybe this is a good time to finally sit and watch it.

How is the dub for it?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
TheSeventhSense wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

There are NO 'bloody action scenes'. It IS more of family movie. CN/Toonami won't censor any of scenes in Summer Wars.

I'm not saying it's going to be majorly censored, it's just that you can't say 'bull****' on Toonami so that one line from the police officer is going to be bleeped. And there's a fair amount of blood and punches thrown around, about the same as your average Bleach episode so it'll probably be TV-14-V.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I watched Akira, but since I have it on DVD (just need to double dip on FUNi's set so that I can have both dubs), I'll probably pass on this one. Can't wait to see the bumps and promos though.

So, so glad they'll be showing Summer Wars though. That's one of my all time favorite films, anime or otherwise, and more people need the chance to see it. Definitely checking that one out even though I do have the DVD.

Conqueror of Shamballa catches me by surprise though. They, AS I mean, probably needed to air that a long time ago, when the first FMA was more prevalent...at this point, it would have made more sense for them to air Sacred Star of Milos. But seeing as how I don't care much for that one and love Shamballa, this works well enough I suppose.

I've only seen the Trigun movie once before, so I can't wait to see it again. All in all, pretty good film picks for December, way to go Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4