• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm a bit confused with the point of the rant. The way I'm reading it is that he is daring the broadcasters to show yaoi, is that it? Because if it is he's got no chance, not before the watershed anyway. Confused

^^; No, the ranter is just stating that while it seems like anime has become mainstream, the only part of it that's mainstream at all is action/shonen titles. He's daring broadcasters to show shojo and drama series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
My evidence for this is the first and second halves of Inuyasha. The first half looked nice and fluffy. The second, not so much.

I always thought the reason for this was as the show went on, it used more and more computer generated cells, hence why the "fluff" went away, and the lines turn out to look more "crisp".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RJ wrote:

Indeed, but I think anime fans should always remember than even though this is Zac's line of work, he's a fan just like the rest of us.

Er... wait, I'm not sure what you mean by this?

I think RJ means that sometimes as a fan, it is hard to maintain an objective standpoint. While I would like to think that I am as objective as possible, when talking about a subjective hobby, it can be hard to remain objective.

I've read the rant and I think it has some merits, but does almost a complete 180 in terms of specific subject matter. Sure, the lack of variety does effect mainstream perceptions of what animation, Japanese in perticular, has to offer, but is that lack of variety as damaging as being linked with lolicon? I would argue that as it stands, the lack of variety is near the middle of the list in worst case scenario. In fact, I think I am going to write a rant and submit it.

Joe Mellow wrote:
If there's one thing, in my opinion, that's declined in terms of anime, it's the visual appearance of shows, but I think prefering the mid-90's art styles is more of an aesthic thing than anything else.

I would argue a similar principle; I'm a fan of the late 1970s through to the early 90s style of animation. Not just the writing and stories behind them, but also of the animation itself. It's what I prefer and it is purely up to subjective tastes of the individual.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm a bit confused with the point of the rant. The way I'm reading it is that he is daring the broadcasters to show yaoi, is that it? Because if it is he's got no chance, not before the watershed anyway. Confused

^^; No, the ranter is just stating that while it seems like anime has become mainstream, the only part of it that's mainstream at all is action/shonen titles. He's daring broadcasters to show shojo and drama series.
Wasn't Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura Shoujo?
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Jadress wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Wasn't Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura Shoujo?

Yes, but there's a difference. First off, it was Cardcaptors on TV, not Card Captor Sakura. They edited it so that the boy, Li, would be the main character. And as far as Sailor Moon goes, yes it was shoujo, but they were still fighting monsters. Let's see someone show a shoujo romance series on TV. With no fighting.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
My evidence for this is the first and second halves of Inuyasha. The first half looked nice and fluffy. The second, not so much.

Not arguing that you're wrong or right, but that's not very good "evidence". Series often become lower in quality as they go on. Often times just because of the lazyiness of artists as well as other reasons (such as a series already being popular, so why put in the effort if people are going to like it either way).

Considering the artistic process seemed to have gotten a complete overhaul midway through, creating a very different ambience, I thought it was decent enough vis a vis evidence.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Considering what kind of anime was brought over to Europe in the 90's I scoff at the idea of companies licensing better products back then. Fact of the matter is that the quality of licenses have gone up over the years. Fans have at the same time become more discerning, which is shown in A-titles capturing market share at the expense of B- and C-titles.

If it's more difficult to create bona fide classics today it's probably more due to the fact that far more anime is produced nowadays than at any other time. It's more difficult for people to agree on something when fewer peope watch the same things. Even if somebody has seen as many shows as me (200+) any comparisons will probably show that less than half the shows on our lists have been watched by both. There's no easily established canon anymore when shows have an increasingly more difficult time to achieve consensus of opinion among the masses.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Kamon wrote:
I always have a chuckle at that. Golden Age my ass. A Golden Age for Splatter n' Tits OVAs with stories that never actually end, maybe...but beyond that, the 80's had the same ratio of crap to good as any other point in time.

Couldn't agree more. Sure, they can respond with, but what about this and this title or such and such. That's fine, you can still point out quality titles from any time frame as they'll still exist regardless, but the fact they exist doesn't counter the fact that a lot of crap existed right along with them. We just simply didn't see as much of it then.

The eighties saw the start of anime "just for fans" thanks to the rise of the OAV medium, with good anime and some very bad stuff. The difference from todays market however is that crap stuff still had at least some originality whereas today's crap shows mostly are a rehash of story and character concepts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/09/15/009257.shtml

Can Answerman predict the future or does he just have a lot of good common sense? He reports, you decide!

Ataru wrote:
Kilgamayan wrote:
Zac wrote:
There's been a big debate regarding YouTube and the many problems therein lately; I won't get into it all here, but suffice to say, expect to see either a major lawsuit or some pretty gigantic changes happening at that site in the near future.

Seriously? Haha, sweet.
Well, speak of the devil more or less. MPAA I would had thought, but UMG. I guess it might be due to music vidoes and others might have caused it.

Score. Suck it, YouTube.

Successful_Troll wrote:
Yes, but there's a difference. First off, it was Cardcaptors on TV, not Card Captor Sakura. They edited it so that the boy, Li, would be the main character. And as far as Sailor Moon goes, yes it was shoujo, but they were still fighting monsters. Let's see someone show a shoujo romance series on TV. With no fighting.

I am reminded, once again, that Pita-Ten is not licensed. :(
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the rant, I have to say that reason why stuff like comedy anime isn't being played, is because the US wouldn't accept it. I know myself, I rarely even crack a smile in Fullmetal Alchemist's jokes, and Zatch Bell's "humour" has me reaching for the remote. Either way, anime fandom has changed. Naruto has brought on so many new fans to the anime crop, that it could be argued the anime audience has rose by 50% over the passed year, and compare the number of anime played on TV to what it was 3 years ago; I'd say it's far different.

RJ wrote:
What makes a classic? an actual story line or popularity and sales?
Well, this just what I think, but would say a classic would more likely go around on popularity, and well, the overall ratings of them (take the ANN user ratings for example). Still, I know WHR has fans, but I could name a hundred anime that have the same amount. And I know not everybody loves Cowboy Bebop, but it's pretty obvious most do.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
In regards to the rant, I have to say that reason why stuff like comedy anime isn't being played, is because the US wouldn't accept it. I know myself, I rarely even crack a smile in Fullmetal Alchemist's jokes, and Zatch Bell's "humour" has me reaching for the remote.

The only problem with this argument is all the other comedy shows on adult swim. I'd like someone to explain to me why the comedy in Excel Saga would go over people's heads but 12oz Mouse doesn't.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not replying to anything in the thread, just a comment to mention that this was the best Answerman column I've seen in a while. I've always found Zac's method of picking on people rather too serious to be funny, so it's good just to see some questions answered Smile.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
In regards to the rant, I have to say that reason why stuff like comedy anime isn't being played, is because the US wouldn't accept it. I know myself, I rarely even crack a smile in Fullmetal Alchemist's jokes, and Zatch Bell's "humour" has me reaching for the remote.
The only problem with this argument is all the other comedy shows on adult swim. I'd like someone to explain to me why the comedy in Excel Saga would go over people's heads but 12oz Mouse doesn't.
I wasn't referring specifically to [as], but whatever. Anyway, while we can't find every comedy TV plays funny, lots of them are. Simpsons, Family Guy, Chappelle Show, even kiddy stuff like Spongebob are damn funny shows. Wrong Coast (I don't know if the US gets that one, but oh well), Friends, and lots of other sitcoms, aren't funny one bit, but we gotta live with it.
RJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Zac wrote:
RJ wrote:

Indeed, but I think anime fans should always remember than even though this is Zac's line of work, he's a fan just like the rest of us.

Er... wait, I'm not sure what you mean by this?

I think RJ means that sometimes as a fan, it is hard to maintain an objective standpoint. While I would like to think that I am as objective as possible, when talking about a subjective hobby, it can be hard to remain objective.

Thats exactly what I meant, thanks. While there may be a general consensus, everyone has their own criteria for what defines classics or good animes.
luhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

None of the shows the ranter mentioned are yaoi in the least; they are shoujo, i.e., primarily aimed at a female audience (although they often have a broader appeal). Comments like this are probably why shoujo doesn't get shown. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6