• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Well, to be fair, this only happened in this thread because somebody made a hyperbolic statement that the data in this very article does not support. I don't think OP fans mind whichever series is the #2 selling manga in Japan.

Also, you're going to have to point out which posts in this thread are 'defensive' about KuroBas' popularity. Perhaps you should provide links when making accusations, else it looks like you're making stuff up.

1. This did not only happen in this thread. For the past six months, every time AoT did great on sales and someone commented how it could even compete with OP, OP fans started their usual diatribe about how it would not because blablablah. And it's not hyperbolic to say a monthly series that just came out four years ago giving a 15-year-old-top-popularity series a run for its money (less than 3 mill volumes difference) is impressive.
2.Tbh, I don't care about the specific subject enough to spend half my life hunting for the specific thread in which "No KuroBas can't even be compared to OP because blablablah". It may not have even been KuroBas, but I'm not the only one ever to notice this kind of over-zealous behavior from many OP fans and it's really annoying

funny thing is that the OP fan were right. AoT did not and could not beat OP sale this year based on the weekly ranking. some people add those sales together and came to conclusion that AoT cannot.

the weekly ranking is for sale discussion. i dont get why u said people cannot discuss whether AoT is able to beat OP or not. and dont forget, AoT fans also make statements about how AoT is guaranteed to beat OP. I follow the weekly ranking so i do notice this.

so ure saying that OP fans are jealous of another series success? thats funny bc we all know nothing ever come close to OP sales. it may be the opposite that AoT fans want their series to have the same success as OP, thus they begin to calculate all the numbers to see how much is need to beat OP. check one of the ranking thread in may and june and u will see what i am talking about.

anyways, AoT was a megahit but this number will not happen again.
im surprise that fairy tail is that high with all of the competitions this year.

this will be the last time in quite a while that we get to see hxh on thr list.

the cutoff for top 50 volumes are so high that we dont get to see series that usually rank in the top 50 last year.

Last edited by yukimasuka on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for completely missing the point and confirming it at the same time.

Yes, nothing ever [expletive] sells like OP. Most likely nothing ever will. We know it. But certain OP fans seem also incapable of admitting that other's series' success/achievements are impressive, and what AoT pulled this year IS impressive, like OH&S explains; and that's what's insanely grating
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Thank you for completely missing the point and confirming it at the same time.

Yes, nothing ever [expletive] sells like OP. Most likely nothing ever will. We know it. But certain OP fans seem also incapable of admitting that other's series' success/achievements are impressive, and what AoT pulled this year IS impressive, like OH&S explains; and that's what's insanely grating

one of the poster in this thread said that AoT outsold EVERYTHING. an OP fan said it did not outsell everything. idg how that is incapable of accepting. we can all see that AoT did good. but that poster has to go and said that AoT outsold everything, which it did not.

also, ure one of the people who are jealous of the fact that Toriko has more promotion than bleach. before talking about OP fans, look at the way u talked about another series. shonen jump would be out of their mind to promot bleach, knowing that it cannot sell as high as it used to. also, toriko consistently has good rankings in the jump toc, thus it promotion is justified. the promotions (color pages, covers) are based on how popular a series is in the magazine, not how much volumes it sells. if it is based on how much volume it sells then a bunch of new series should not have more promotion than bleach although they sell around 100-200k
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
No one ever said AoT outsold everything. Ever. Seriously quote me who did it. At most it was said that, had OP released one less volume than it did this year (4 vs AoT's 3), AoT would've topped it by a small margin, and that it gave OP some real competition because it experienced an extreme boost of sales due to the anime. Most manga that do get animated never get that kind of boost. And OP fans reacted thus:

Quote:
Umm OP is still number one with 3 million lead , not sure how you consider this to be "ass kicking everyone this year" and Attack on Titan exploded this year yet still couldn't beat OP , if this doesn't say anything then i don't know what does.

And yes, it bothers me that a manga like Toriko gets the amount of publicity it does and that Bleach doesn't when, effectively, it's still outselling it. Whereas OP's volumes sell twice as much as AoT's, Bleach's sell twice as what Toriko does -and it doesn't even have an anime to boost it anymore-. Bleach was one of the series that carried WSJ through the 2000's with its popularity and sales, and now it's basically getting the cold shoulder from Shueisha because it had an undeniable drop in popularity that still doesn't put it behind any of WSJ's new fads (except AssClass, that one is truly making unbelievable numbers). Bleach is in its final arc just as much as Naruto is (afaik, I don't keep up with that one) and it barely ever gets the kind of promotions and events that Toriko does. So yes, it freaking annoys me, thank you very much.
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
There are a "few" Shingeki fans who stated bullshit, and there's also a "few" One Piece fans who stated bullshit.

So how about we try to not judge and generalize entire fandoms by the "few" who makes everyone look bad?

Anyway, since I predicted that Shingeki's only going to sell 5-7 million in 2014, I'll also make a prediction for One Piece (just to be fair).

Since there's a 5 million drop from 2012 to 2013, so maybe One Piece will only sell about 13 to 15 million next year, which fyi - is still AMAZING.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
No one ever said AoT outsold everything. Ever. Seriously quote me who did it. At most it was said that, had OP released one less volume than it did this year (4 vs AoT's 3), AoT would've topped it by a small margin, and that it gave OP some real competition because it experienced an extreme boost of sales due to the anime. Most manga that do get animated never get that kind of boost. And OP fans reacted thus:

Quote:
Umm OP is still number one with 3 million lead , not sure how you consider this to be "ass kicking everyone this year" and Attack on Titan exploded this year yet still couldn't beat OP , if this doesn't say anything then i don't know what does.

And yes, it bothers me that a manga like Toriko gets the amount of publicity it does and that Bleach doesn't when, effectively, it's still outselling it. Whereas OP's volumes sell twice as much as AoT's, Bleach's sell twice as what Toriko does -and it doesn't even have an anime to boost it anymore-. Bleach was one of the series that carried WSJ through the 2000's with its popularity and sales, and now it's basically getting the cold shoulder from Shueisha because it had an undeniable drop in popularity that still doesn't put it behind any of WSJ's new fads (except AssClass, that one is truly making unbelievable numbers). Bleach is in its final arc just as much as Naruto is (afaik, I don't keep up with that one) and it barely ever gets the kind of promotions and events that Toriko does. So yes, it freaking annoys me, thank you very much.

if they promote bleach, it may lead to a decrease in magazine circulation. people that read SJ dont vote for bleach or dont buy it bc of bleach. they buy it and vote for series they like. thus u see series with high ranks get more promotion. if sj promote low ranking series, they will lose BIG money from circulation and advertisement. they are running a business and has to market their magazine to the audience that read it, not to those that only buy bleach volumes but dont read the chapter in the magazine.

that is just how the business work. jump especially is one of those magazine that follow the ranking very strictly. hence u see more series getting axed in sj than pther magazine. this method has been shown to work well. they are the most circulated magazine in japan for a reason.

i agree with what pykrete said. I think OP sales will begin to stabilize around 15mil
------------------
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
For the people who said that One Piece can't be beaten check out the numbers.

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look top selling by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones asses.

(Please reply only after reading all my comments)

@crowlia: here is the quote that u want. someone said it in the first page.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
But that quote doesn't say it outsold OP. It says it kicked its ass because, in comparison, AoT with 11 volumes and a two-cour anime was only 3 million sales behind OP with its 70something volumes and 10 years worth of anime. A relatively new and previously obscure series gave the history's top-selling manga some serious competition; honestly, that's pretty ass-kicking, whether you want to admit it or not
Shankusu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Expected numbers. Shingeki did really well even though it very much relied on the anime's extremely heavy boost. I doubt it'll stay that way for too long but it sure as hell will continue selling well and it deserves to do so more than some others.

Nice to see Kuroko continuing doing good. And someone please kick Togashi's ass to his desk!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad, after all that's happened this year regarding it, Kuroko no Basket is high on this list.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But that quote doesn't say it outsold OP. It says it kicked its ass because, in comparison, AoT with 11 volumes and a two-cour anime was only 3 million sales behind OP with its 70something volumes and 10 years worth of anime. A relatively new and previously obscure series gave the history's top-selling manga some serious competition; honestly, that's pretty ass-kicking, whether you want to admit it or not

it depends on how people interpret it. u interpret it differently, the other person interpreted differently.

OP sales per vol still dominate so saying that AoT kicks everyone ass is not all true. but i do know what poeple are trying to say.

i KNOW and did ADMIT that AoT did good. idk what ure trying to say here.

also, AoT was not an obscure series. it popularity is around that of assclass when it started.

AoT is in my top 10 fav series. im more than happy that it did so well.
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
No one ever said AoT outsold everything. Ever. Seriously quote me who did it. At most it was said that, had OP released one less volume than it did this year (4 vs AoT's 3), AoT would've topped it by a small margin, and that it gave OP some real competition because it experienced an extreme boost of sales due to the anime.

That prediction about OP selling only 3 volumes in 2013 started like 6 months ago when One Piece 69 was delayed from Feb. 2013 to March 2013.

Usually there's a 2 month gap between One Piece volumes, but there's only a 1 month gap between volumes 70 (June 2013) and 71 (August 2013).

When Volume 71 came out, the Shingeki fan/s who bet on the long shot gave up.

But anyway, he/they were right - if only 3 OP volumes for 2013, Shingeki would had won. If there was no One Piece 72 for 2013, Shingeki would had taken first place with just 100k copies over OP.
syrianmj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I really hate Op So much , But to Be fair If Aot With All this Huge Boost Was not Able to Beat It So There is not any Manga In The World Will Have A Chance Versus It .

And The Dude That Sending Threatning Letters to KNB Mangaka Should Have His percentage Of The Profits . Or the Magaka Should Thanks All The Fujoshi Girls Around Japan By filming A sex tape with his guy friend
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So much drama in this thread. Not sure why that Crow guy is being a drama queen over OP, it's cute though.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
I really hate Op So much , But to Be fair If Aot With All this Huge Boost Was not Able to Beat It So There is not any Manga In The World Will Have A Chance Versus It .

And The Dude That Sending Threatning Letters to KNB Mangaka Should Have His percentage Of The Profits . Or the Magaka Should Thanks All The Fujoshi Girls Around Japan By filming A sex tape with his guy friend

hating OP with so much passion. lol. well at least u dont go as far as the dude that hate knb

------------------------------------

@pykrete. i know u know this already

One Piece sales compared to previous years:

- 2008:
overall: 5,956,540
2008 volumes (3 volumes):4,869,186
1-48:1,087,354

- 2009:
overall: 14,721,241
2009 volumes:7,784,185
1-51:6,937,056

- 2010:
overall:32,343,809
2010 volumes(5 volumes):12,701,973
vol 55:536,154
1-54:19,105,682

- 2011:
overall:37,996,373
2011 volumes:12,316,031
vol 60: 786,660
vol 59: 572,798
1-58:24,320,884

- 2012 :
overall:23,464,866
2012 volumes:12,093,262
vol 64: 682,057
1-63:10,689,547

-2013 :
overall:18,151,599
2013 volumes:11,430,979
vol 68:728,158
1-67:5,992,462

- the decrease is in the sales of the old volumes but 5,992,462 is pretty high compared to the other series meaning there are still people catching up.
- the sales of new volumes have decreased by 662,283 compared to last year.
- also, with 728,158 vol 68 (released last year) sold 3,118,783, less than vol 69 3,147,224.

credits to apforum.
pykrete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Just added averages.

yukimasuka wrote:

One Piece sales compared to previous years:

- 2008:
overall: 5,956,540
2008 volumes (3 volumes):4,869,186
1-48:1,087,354 added 22,653 readers

- 2009:
overall: 14,721,241
2009 volumes:7,784,185
1-51:6,937,056 added 136,020 readers

- 2010:
overall:32,343,809
2010 volumes(5 volumes):12,701,973
vol 55:536,154
1-54:19,105,682 added 353,808 readers

- 2011:
overall:37,996,373
2011 volumes:12,316,031
vol 60: 786,660
vol 59: 572,798
1-58:24,320,884 added 419,325 readers (had this been more, 2011 top 50 volumes list would have been mostly One Piece)

- 2012 :
overall:23,464,866
2012 volumes:12,093,262
vol 64: 682,057
1-63:10,689,547 added 169,675 readers

-2013 :
overall:18,151,599
2013 volumes:11,430,979
vol 68:728,158
1-67:5,992,462 added 89,439 readers

Just to compare (cause what else are we gonna compare One Piece to), Shingeki added an average of about 1.25 million readers in 2013.

Without an ongoing anime, I doubt Shingeki will add enough new readers to even offset the number of readers who lose interest. But I dunno really. Shingeki may just surprise me again in 2014.

For one thing, it's only got about a dozen volumes, so it isn't as challenging to buy as say 70+ One Piece volumes.

Hopefully, Kodansha will continue to announce first print runs for Shingeki volumes so that we can more or less gauge on whether its readership has increased or decreased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6