• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madoka Magica: Rebellion US Premiere

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That is exactly what I meant by "shoving /u/-pandering into an otherwise good story".

This movie goes to absurd lengths to shove all the characters into forced pairings it HURTS (Completely invalidating Sayaka's feelings for Kyousuke spoiler[which were the whole damn reason she fell into despair], solely to make spoiler[KyouxSaya] fans happy, is one of the biggest offenders).

Dammit, Gen. You tore your series and your characters to pieces just to milk it further.

YOU HAVEN"T SEEN THE MOVIE.

Also, jesus christ you seriously think that she should just have pined for Kyousuke forever? What the fudge is wrong with you? She's 14. She'll get over it. She'll move on and find someone else. The fact that that someone else happens to be a girl just means that OMG SAYAKA IS BISEXUAL. Something you should have no problems with because you will not shut up about how you are bi!

Guess what? It turns out that Kyousuke spoiler[is just kinda a jerk in general, and Sayaka really dodged the bullet on that front. So good for her.]

Also, YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE MOVIE SO PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE YOU HAVE.

Go see one of the showings, watch the camrip or wait for it to come out on BD, but until then, kindly keep your incessant whining about how oppresed you are by yuri and yuri fans to a minimum. Its not contributing at all to the discussion.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Sylontack wrote:
Quote:
After Rebellion, do you have any plans for the Madoka franchise in the future?

Iwakami: No, we don't have any plans.

Yet Iwakami was one of the two who spoiler[had Urobuchi CHANGE the original ending to a poorer ending (in my opinion) so the franchise could be continued for more money... Just animate The Different Story if you want my money Razz].
Please understand I've been ranting about this everywhere I go to everyone I meet ever since I saw spoiler[the revised ending]. I am irrationally bitter about it.

Think of it this way, Madoka Magica ended with the tv series. Everything is is just crap designed to carry on a story which had correctly ended with no problems whatsoever.
As long as people are so easily conned, well Urobochi & co will continue producing crap. Just say no. But fans being fans you'll get a better chance of taking a drug addict off this drugs than a Madoka Magica fan renounce even a crap sequel ova or tv series.

I love your review, it totally hits on all aspects of this movie, this fandom, and hell, humanity as a whole. You talked about everything in such a beautiful and concise manner I have no other choice but to crown you "King of the Reviewers." Your analytical mind truly is amazing.

Weak move, trying to check the obviously incoming opposition to your post by comparing us to drug addicts. It's what you do when you have nothing of substance to say. So you're either a troll or an idiot who doesn't even know the subject material.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Just got back from a screening in Seattle, and oh maaaaan.....

*Brain is dead*

I do not have a clue how I feel about that whole thing. The first half seemed fairly slow and unnecessary, and then spoiler[the fight with Mami kicked in and the new revelations started to trickle out, which got me thinking, 'NOW we're getting into the meat of the plot! Great! However, once the actual plot revealed itself I felt the original message of Madoka Magica became twisted. Originally it was one of hope, a 'you are never alone' sort of thing. Here, the message seems to morph into "Love makes you evil/Evil is necessary to balance Good" with the duality of Evil!Homura and Goduka, an element that wasn't even really in play in the original show (I guess an argument can be made that it was with Homura's ruthlessness contrasted to Madoka's peace-making overtures, but you cannot deny it wasn't a focal point!). This movie left a bad taste in my mouth, especially because I wanted to love it (what with the stellar animation/art, some really nice moments between the main cast before everything goes to hell).] Maybe it'll grow on me if I give it some time, but I really feel like the tv show had the better ending; sure, it may've been more open ended and vague, but it was one of hope and possibilities. This (forgive me, Madoka fans!) is a lot like End of Evangelion to me in that it is obtuse, fatalistic, and casts a different light on memories of the show that came before it. I can't say I want to follow the franchise past this, and will look on the show as the "true" ending for myself.

Once again, not meaning to offend any fans, maybe I "just don't get it," but I'm also tired and freezing, so hey, perhaps that far off second viewing will yield different results.

Random Q: spoiler[Can we officially recognize Homura/Madoka and Sayaka/Kyouko as canon, or was all that just subtext? Curious to hear other opinions on this]

Madoka Magica has always been about balance. Hope can not exist without despair to balance it out; good can not exist without evil to balance it out; unchecked emotion can produce as much good or bad as pragmatism without empathy, etc. spoiler[Madoka Magica the TV series had the wraiths balanced out by the Magical Girls, but who balanced out 'Madokami'? Could the story have really ended with this great force of good in the universe, but no force of evil to balance it out?]

Last edited by zeo1fan on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
On top of what I said earlier, the plot makes sense allegorically as well. spoiler[Exactly what follows the second coming of Jesus Christ? The great battle between good and evil. So what follows Madoka's second coming? The battle between good and evil (or Homura and Madoka). This was foreshadowed by Ms. Saotome early in the film when she was talking about the end of the world and the second coming of Jesus. And who better to fill the role of 'Lucifer' than Homura, really? Lucifer was someone close to God, who fell as a result of his own tragic flaws that would eventually be destined to fight God once again. Wasn't Lucifer someone who wanted to live with human desires rather than living as an angel? And let's face it; Homura is a character that's always had trouble letting go. She was never okay with the sacrifice Madoka made. If she thought letting go of her pain would mean letting go of her love for Madoka (recall that she identified her pain and suffering as 'proof' of her love for Madoka), does it really make sense that she'd give up an existence that lets her maintain that love? And psychologically speaking, a great many people that live their on the edge of danger learn to cope by loving that edge (which, again, Homura did say she'd gotten used to the pain).] I'd love to hear what other people here have to say on the matter, because none of my friends who like Madoka were able to make it to the movie. Anime smile
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
On top of what I said earlier, the plot makes sense allegorically as well. spoiler[Exactly what follows the second coming of Jesus Christ? The great battle between good and evil. So what follows Madoka's second coming? The battle between good and evil (or Homura and Madoka). This was foreshadowed by Ms. Saotome early in the film when she was talking about the end of the world and the second coming of Jesus. And who better to fill the role of 'Lucifer' than Homura, really? Lucifer was someone close to God, who fell as a result of his own tragic flaws that would eventually be destined to fight God once again. Wasn't Lucifer someone who wanted to live with human desires rather than living as an angel? And let's face it; Homura is a character that's always had trouble letting go. She was never okay with the sacrifice Madoka made. If she thought letting go of her pain would mean letting go of her love for Madoka (recall that she identified her pain and suffering as 'proof' of her love for Madoka), does it really make sense that she'd give up an existence that lets her maintain that love? And psychologically speaking, a great many people that live their on the edge of danger learn to cope by loving that edge (which, again, Homura did say she'd gotten used to the pain).] I'd love to hear what other people here have to say on the matter, because none of my friends who like Madoka were able to make it to the movie. Anime smile

I admit, after having slept on it and let it sink in, the film does make more sense. My big problem was that I saw the show as an allegory for Faust, spoiler[as Homura basically sells her soul for the sake of the one she loves, for power. When she became "the Devil" it seemed to contradict the original allegory it had going, but then I *can* see early shadings of "Homura as Devil in the show" via her more considerable ruthlessness compared to the other girls. Not to mention, the many cycles she went through would break down the toughest soul, I imagine. My problem was that I was ~foolishly~ expecting a happy ending, a "love redeems all" sort of deal. It made sense to me, after the hopeful ending of the show. However, upon reflection, I am becoming more comfortable with this film's ending. One of the many variations of the origin story (I can't remember which) had Lucifer jealous of the love God gave an inferior being, a human, and rebelled in response, falling from grace. Homura could not stand Madoka's existence being relegated to the role of God where she belongs to all and yet none at the same time. Homura wanted to possess her; I believe this is why she wanted to keep every memory she had of her, even if it was just pain. Madoka's love was pure and became a saving grace; Homura's love became twisted and grew to be, what I assume from the ending, the entrance of sin/darkness in Madoka's relatively sweet dream of a world. Already I feel like I need to watch it again, especially since I was in too much shock to process everything that I watched last night. I just can't get over how Homura could reject "Madoka/Heaven" in turn so that she could become that world's source of evil! Where would the story even go from here? I heavily doubt it will be about Homura's efforts to protect/see Madoka anymore. An exploration of the new world as balanced out by the two MagiKamis? We'll see....]

Well played, SHAFT. Well played...

By the way, sorry to hear your friends couldn't make it. Those shows sold out pretty fast Shocked
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Honestly, the definition of 'subtext' in this context has become pretty twisted. Subtext is just as valid as actual text. Just because a girl doesn't get up on a table, declare she's lesbian and wants to eat pussy all night, doesn't mean she can't be read as, or intended to be read as, lesbian.

The movie made it explicit that spoiler[Homura is doing this because she loves Madoka. That was in fact the entire goddamn point of the last act of the movie. Now, people will quibble over whether that mean she loves her 'romantically' or not...but once you've destroyed and rebuilt the entire universe solely for the sake of the person you love, mere sexuality is sorta beside the point.

As for Kyouko and Sayaka, the big deal here is Sayaka telling Kyouko that her one regret was leaving her behind. This is a really major development in general, and for Sayaka in particular. Not to mention that the intertwined fingers they had is very much a thing in lesbian subtext in general. Also in both world Homura constructed they are together, not just together but living together.

That is all 'subtext', but its not there by accident, just like how the new character who was introduced didn't just happen to be the witch Mami has been shipped with since the revelation about what witches are came out.]

Thanks for the input. I was kind of curious what others thought, since I heard some commentary upon leaving the theater, where one girl was vehemently denying any implications in the film, which got me to wondering if I just had my "yuri goggles" on when I shouldn't have (which isn't to say I see the element at play here as sexual, but rather as romantic). I believe the film forces you to reevaluate how you view spoiler[Homura's dedication and affection for Madoka. At the very least I did, as I had originally seen Homura's affections and efforts as noble if not at times misguided, but now they look less noble and more obsessive, perhaps even tragically broken]. All in all, I can't wait for the BD to be released so I can revisit this film with a group of friends and get their opinions on the myriad of ideas/twists/revelations this film throws at you!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay I fully admit I have NOT seen the movie I am just spoiled for the ending. I am making no judgements about the movie as a whole.

But I think such a departure from the ending of the TV series is really annoying for me. It makes it feel like the ending of the TV (which while not my favorite ending of all time was a perfectly good ending) is all for naught. Unless I completely ignore this movie knowing what happens in the end to one of my favorite characters I can no longer enjoy the ending of the TV series.

And even with what happens to that character makes sense in context (and I think it does) it still is hard for me to enjoy it when I had an ending for the TV series that I was actually satisfied with.

I mean besides milking the franchise I am not sure why they couldn't have made this the ending of the original series in the first place. I think I would have been more accepting then to have the endings of the TV series and movies be so divergent.

Well the movie is not playing anywhere near me so I have to wait awhile before I can see it anyways.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked the movie, even though I'm not too thrilled with the exact status quo at the end.

That being said, its only my second favorite sequel to the TV series.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

What's the first?

Saw the movie twice, and was tempted to watch it a third time too. I greatly enjoyed it. I was quite fine with the ending, and if Urubuchi really did change it to that from his original plan, I'm glad he did. spoiler[Having it end with Homura just being brought to heaven by Godoka just wouldn't have given me the same feelings about the movie that her becoming Satan did. ]But I'm really glad I watched the movie twice, because while I was fine with how it ended the first time, watching it the second time after having had a chance to really digest what I had seen made me appreciate it all the more.

And speaking of the ending, the little bit right after the credits, I wonder if it's just me or if spoiler[the haggard looking Kyubey seemed as though the Incubators were beginning to learn some emotion, namely the emotion of terror. Just the look in his eyes at the end seemed as though he was beginning to be terrified by Homura.] Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Anyone going to the Kansas City premier tonight? Looking forward to this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Go see one of the showings, watch the camrip or wait for it to come out on BD, but until then, kindly keep your incessant whining about how oppresed you are by yuri and yuri fans to a minimum. Its not contributing at all to the discussion.

Thanks for completely missing the point of my post.

I'm not doing any of that, I'm not bitching about oppression or anything like that, I'm annoyed that Gen basically shafted all of us non-yuri fans for you guys to the point of completely derailing characters.

And I have read basically everything I could on the movie. I know basically every that happens in it. I hate what I had read, why would I torture myself by actual watching a movie which I believe shat all over the original series?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

And I have read basically everything I could on the movie. I know basically every that happens in it. I hate what I had read, why would I torture myself by actual watching a movie which I believe shat all over the original series?

Because nobody cares what your opinion of a film you haven't seen is?

Film is more than just plot points. You don't have any idea how the film feels, how the story elements play out, whether or not they're executed with any kind of finesse. I'm not saying you'd like the film, but reading a synopsis and then wading into a discussion of the film is really dumb. Watch the film, then people might be interested in what you have to say about it, but not before.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

What's the first?

To the Stars by Hieronym

Takes place 400 years after the end of the TV series. Humanity has reached the stars, and found unfortunately that they are not alone. Humanity now struggles for survival against a technologically superior foe, the balance made up for by the revelation of Earth's Magical Girls, who came out of the millennia of hiding when the fate of the entire species was on the line.

It is of course incompatible with Rebellion, though there are some thematic similarities at points.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm not doing any of that, I'm not bitching about oppression or anything like that, I'm annoyed that Gen basically shafted all of us non-yuri fans for you guys to the point of completely derailing characters.

Shafted you...how?

I'm legitimately curious. How does the firm establishment of one relationship (albeit rather uhhh...yeah right now), the furtherance of another and the very beginning of a third "screw you over"?

It only makes sense if you think that there being lesbian relationships in the show means you lost something. Which considering that the series for all intents and purposes has no male characters...seems odd.

Please, expound on this, it should be fascinating.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I quite liked the movie, even though I'm not too thrilled with the exact status quo at the end.

I like the end of the movie under the assumption it's not the end of the story. I'd be less happy with it (but still like it overall) if it really is the last of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15