• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
...forcibly stripping and groping people does not 'barely' qualify as sexual assault. It is, and it's frightening you even think that way, but seriously. Try to do that in real life. See where it gets you.

You do realize that we are discussing animated characters? The series sounds awful, but I find the knee-jerk condemnation to be disturbing. If you want to ban this series, go ahead; but there's a market for it, and assuming that anyone who happens to enjoy it is a "maladjusted" sex-offender really is offensive. The number of anime fans who wish to "clean up" the genre and complain about offensive content wherever it rears its head is likewise disturbing, based on the idea that somehow this content being in poor taste has an influence on people's actions--the same kind of faulty logic which led to restrictions on violent video games during the 00s. No, this smut does not turn impressionable young men into virulent mysoginists anymore than Grand Theft Auto makes them into car-jackers and abusers of sex-workers.
On a different note, Golgo 13 is a legend. I'm glad that the reviewer can appreciate an anime icon. In some ways the Duke is preferable to Bond himself.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I actually had the same reaction as Bamboo for Aesthetica. I started it recently since I'm a big fan of fanservice shows, but I stopped at four episodes for exactly the reasons she listed. There was only so much, "But he meant well, so it's ok," that I could take before it was outweighed by how much of an issue I had with what the main character does. If anything, I'm probably exactly the person this was meant to appeal to, and I still had Bamboo's exact reaction, so I find it pretty laughable that anyone on here would suggest that her being female had anything to do with it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
noigeL wrote:
Y'know DmonHiro, I was gonna suggest that you just stop, but at this point you may as well continue digging that hole for yourself. You're gonna reach China pretty soon.

I'm in Romania. I don't think that's accurate.

If you dig straight down you'll end up a couple of thousand kilometres off New Zealand's eastern coastline. If you make it to shore I'll be happy to give you some frigărui.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
D-did you just compare the actions of a perverted anime character (which can only barely qualify as 'sexual assault') to the holocaust...

No, I compared people who think sexual assault is a good basis for a comedy series to people who think the Holocaust is a good basis for a comedic film. Because, y'know, they're both tasteless bastards who appropriate the suffering of others for their own yucks.

And yes, unwanted touching is most definitely a form of sexual assault -- not necessarily rape, which is a specific, extreme subset of sexual assault -- to say nothing of forcibly removing someone's clothes.

PCGOD wrote:

You do realize that we are discussing animated characters? The series sounds awful, but I find the knee-jerk condemnation to be disturbing. If you want to ban this series, go ahead;

Get your bingo cards ready, everyone, 'cause here comes Mr. Harsh Criticism Equals Censorship.

Quote:
but there's a market for it, and assuming that anyone who happens to enjoy it is a "maladjusted" sex-offender really is offensive.

No, obviously not everyone who enjoys Aesthetica is a sex-offender, but the attitude surrounding the series, including the guy quoted above who doesn't believe unwanted groping is sexual assault, feeds the culture that shames women into not reporting sexual assaults because there'll be a bunch of idiots laughing and saying that what happened was just good fun and not a real sexual assault.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
noigeL wrote:
Y'know DmonHiro, I was gonna suggest that you just stop, but at this point you may as well continue digging that hole for yourself. You're gonna reach China pretty soon.

I'm in Romania. I don't think that's accurate.

If you dig straight down you'll end up a couple of thousand kilometres off New Zealand's eastern coastline. If you make it to shore I'll be happy to give you some frigărui.

Would he be closer to Antarctica? Also, there might plausibly be less linguistic difficulty with the penguins, as Kiwi can sound strong to unhabituated ears.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Get your bingo cards ready, everyone, 'cause here comes Mr. Harsh Criticism Equals Censorship.
Well, the latter doesn't come from nowhere, and it starts with angry folks (who have the right to be angry, I just question their anger Very Happy)

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
...the attitude surrounding the series, including the guy quoted above who doesn't believe unwanted groping is sexual assault, feeds the culture that shames women into not reporting sexual assaults because there'll be a bunch of idiots laughing and saying that what happened was just good fun and not a real sexual assault.
And you know this, how? Once again, your "harsh criticism" disturbs me. I don't believe any of these creators' intent of said smut is to "laugh" at sexual assault, and neither do I believe that anybody believes unwanted groping isn't sexual assault (if they're brazen enough to commit it, they don't give a damn about the labels). Your linking of the two is easy, but nevertheless false and potentially dangerous, the stuff censorship dreams are made of... but I digress, as I feel we all have.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
And you know this, how? Once again, your "harsh criticism" disturbs me. I don't believe any of these creators' intent of said smut is to "laugh" at sexual assault, and neither do I believe that anybody believes unwanted groping isn't sexual assault (if they're brazen enough to commit it, they don't give a damn about the labels). Your linking of the two is easy, but nevertheless false and potentially dangerous, the stuff censorship dreams are made of... but I digress, as I feel we all have.

It's like I'm really reading r/MensRights!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
I don't believe any of these creators' intent of said smut is to "laugh" at sexual assault,

Uh, but it was. And Aesthetica is hardly alone in that, it's done by a lot of shows.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
PCGOD wrote:

It's like I'm really reading r/MensRights!

lol Because I disagree with your position? Plenty of people do, if you want to talk about helping women gain equality and equal opportunities then I'm GAME, but when it comes to peddling semantics then I decline to nod in easy agreement.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
PCGOD wrote:
I don't believe any of these creators' intent of said smut is to "laugh" at sexual assault,

Uh, but it was. And Aesthetica is hardly alone in that, it's done by a lot of shows.
According to your moral definitions, yes, but unless this smut advocates violating real people I'll save my moralizing for when it's needed (if ever).

Last edited by PCGOD on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have described LWA's designs as "gangly" save for Sucy, but that is more of a posture then her build-- and maybe the scene in the dorm, where I thought Akko's limbs were a little off-model. When I think of gangly, visions of CLAMP characters prance about in my minds eye. Maybe its the relationship between their relatively big heads to small bodies.

LWA is something I feel has been missing for a long time (if Denno Coil is a long time)-- a child's story that isn't saccharine, strives for good or consistent production values and makes great strides to be universally appealing. It also helps when your 2nd favorite Japanese animator is making his directorial debut. Ever come across people who think LWA is blatantly derivative of Harry Potter? I jived with a couple when I brought my blu-ray artbook to school for high-quality scans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
Would he be closer to Antarctica?

Surprisingly no, as he would over a thousand kilometres closer to New Zealand than Antartica. He would also be several kilometres closer to New Zealand than other countries in Polynesia.

PCGOD wrote:
Also, there might plausibly be less linguistic difficulty with the penguins, as Kiwi can sound strong to unhabituated ears.

New Zealand English isn't so much strong but rather uses different stresses for vowels. We also slur or even partially drop a lot of consonants and even syllables from words without realising it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
PCGOD wrote:

According to your moral definitions, yes,

So you don't consider the stuff he did to be sexual assault?

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
PCGOD wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:
...forcibly stripping and groping people does not 'barely' qualify as sexual assault. It is, and it's frightening you even think that way, but seriously. Try to do that in real life. See where it gets you.

You do realize that we are discussing animated characters? The series sounds awful, but I find the knee-jerk condemnation to be disturbing. If you want to ban this series, go ahead; but there's a market for it, and assuming that anyone who happens to enjoy it is a "maladjusted" sex-offender really is offensive. The number of anime fans who wish to "clean up" the genre and complain about offensive content wherever it rears its head is likewise disturbing, based on the idea that somehow this content being in poor taste has an influence on people's actions--the same kind of faulty logic which led to restrictions on violent video games during the 00s. No, this smut does not turn impressionable young men into virulent mysoginists anymore than Grand Theft Auto makes them into car-jackers and abusers of sex-workers.
On a different note, Golgo 13 is a legend. I'm glad that the reviewer can appreciate an anime icon. In some ways the Duke is preferable to Bond himself.

Yes, because it's animated and fictional means it's exempt from criticism! Okay, hun.

I didn't say they all were, did I? And nor did I say that I wanted to ban it, but nice projecting there. I was replying to someone's comment about saying things that happened in the anime wasn't sexual assault, when it was, but it is rather amusing you're defending this while the culture and attitude it permeates to the target audience is posting right freaking before me.

Also, I find it laughable when people talk about how these types of things can't influence people. I'm a psychology major and study this kind of stuff, and I can tell you that it can actually affect you mentally. Not always, but it can happen.

Nothing is exempt from criticism. Get over it.
PCGOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
PCGOD wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
PCGOD wrote:

According to your moral definitions, yes,

So you don't consider the stuff he did to be sexual assault?

At least for me that was never the question, of course it is, but in the same way that series have serial killers and thugs for protagonists this one has a molesting bully/pervert. It's really quite simple, whereas whenever something like this pops out of the woodwork we have self-appointed culture czars making anodyne comments about "what it means" and how it enables crime; I remember the same thing happening with video games, and I even agreed with it then, but now when I sniff the bulls--- I have to respectfully if firmly decline.

Last edited by PCGOD on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought Little Witch Academia was...okay. I don't really get the hype over it. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it was so generic and predictable. Aside from some really good animation, it does absolutely nothing to make a name for itself.

I'll watch Aesthetica one day when I feel like seeing the world burn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18