• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Offers English Dub Upgrades For Select Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
u_nick wrote:
Another question: What exactly is the Special A deal? Is it the two separate sets for the existing one complete set? Or is it either of those, for a NEW complete set that has a dub? (I'm not familiar with the existing one). And can we assume no BD there? It's the only form without a BD checkbox... ?

Sentai never released a BD version, so that's why there's no option(might be that they can't get the BD rights?).

Last edited by tangytangerine on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
u_nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, there was an update to the main article, i cant remember which site, and someone checked with customer service and said you CAN use those two as well. Thats what I meant there.

I was just so happy with the surprise Mayo Chiki announcement, i think I was half hoping the same would happen for Special A.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
That money you two spent for those sub sets are long gone and irrelevent IMO. Its basically paying 18-28$ for a DVD or BD series that are being sold/pre-ordered MSRP wise of 60-70$ (rightstuf wise in 36-42$) as of right now. I understand though if your intrest with the shipping cash is for spending on something else, then the S.A.V.E funi editions of shows are the way to go. But thats just a single extra show you may have no information or intrest on yet. But you two had intrest in buying the physical subtitled copy of these shows wether you wanted it dubbed or not. Now it may be just a collectors habit, which I humbly understand since I'm a big collector.

I would agree with the sunk-cost argument, except the offer is bad from both a total cost of ownership and straight-deal basis. At first I was kicking myself over doubling-down on SA during this year's sale to correct the no-dub-available issue from last year. That was, until I noticed that it actually came down to a $28 trade-in versus $27.99 sale price comparison (the latter without needing to give-up the old discs or go through the trouble of returning them.) Once it's not worth it as a deal, it almost automatically torpedeos the TCO because you've paid just as much and lost the ability to do anything with your original copy. Availability of these titles will likely be similar, so it just doesn't make sense given any time-frame longer than immediate.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Sweet there dubbing Mayo Chiki! I geass ill wait to pick it up
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

I would agree with the sunk-cost argument, except the offer is bad from both a total cost of ownership and straight-deal basis. At first I was kicking myself over doubling-down on SA during this year's sale to correct the no-dub-available issue from last year. That was, until I noticed that it actually came down to a $28 trade-in versus $27.99 sale price comparison (the latter without needing to give-up the old discs or go through the trouble of returning them.) Once it's not worth it as a deal, it almost automatically torpedeos the TCO because you've paid just as much and lost the ability to do anything with your original copy. Availability of these titles will likely be similar, so it just doesn't make sense given any time-frame longer than immediate.

That was from a holiday sale though. Take it away then obviously it is a good deal to trade it out. You paid for that recently. And I even complained on facebook about Sentai doing a trade offer on S.A. so late after its release until now. These things should happen before the new titles get shipped out for release so users that bought the sub release can do the upgrade program as well as change there preorder. But at least their doing it now then later.

I had that issue too of jumping the gun then surprise surprise a new program happens on returning a copy yet I got it on sale. But its for people that bought it previously via. longer time-frame. Overall ask yourself, "do you want a dub on a new clean dvd/bd, or not?". Either decision I'm okay with. No one is forcing you like some government health-care plan. But I think the dub of S.A. is worth it for the extra dollar or two.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Worth-while-ness of the deal varies from person to person, of course. Companys "test the waters" and some setups sink and some swim. None of these are things I own, so I'm not up for this new deal; but, if it puts us one inch closer to a dub for Dirty Pair TV, then I hope this is a roaring success. As a dub fan, I'd be very happy to double dip on that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Better to have the option than forcing the fans who would re-buy to once again pay full price.

There must have been enough demand to warrant re-releases with dubs.

Though Section23 and Rightstuf are definitely hoping not that many take the offer since this is costing them money.

Especially when I know people who are actually getting more back than what they actually paid for. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
u_nick wrote:
Another question: What exactly is the Special A deal? Is it the two separate sets for the existing one complete set? Or is it either of those, for a NEW complete set that has a dub? (I'm not familiar with the existing one). And can we assume no BD there? It's the only form without a BD checkbox... ?

Sentai never released a BD version, so that's why there's no option(might be that they can't get the BD rights?).
Special A doesn't have a Blu-Ray release in Japan either, which is not surprising for a 2008 shoujo series -- it's a low-res show. Even the fansub scene couldn't/didn't wring more than 576p out of the TV broadcasts.

Dark Absol wrote:
Is dubbed MM! still censored as subbed, especially for the blu-rays? (save for the final ova/omake/whatever it's called when spoiler[they're undressed in the locker room])
Wait, Sentai got the censored TV version instead of the disc version for MM! ? Or was that one of those "nothing was really uncensored/shown on BD anyway" cases?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
Well, since I have all but one of these titles, it doesn't hurt to look these up. I have to get back one I loaned to a friend a year ago.

You know, spoiler[if I were to use dvdfab on the ones I have now, then upgrade to blu-ray, I could still have the dvd versions for making AMVs].

Please don't ban me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Is dubbed MM! still censored as subbed, especially for the blu-rays? (save for the final ova/omake/whatever it's called when spoiler[they're undressed in the locker room])

First I have heard of censoring. What exactly is censored in it?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
No Tegami Bachi Sad
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Just to let everyone know. For a specific time period Sentai is doing a survey/give-away for the celebration of the new year.

There biggest questions are use of premium edditions along with specific releases of shows with dubs or sub.

Though I'am more interested in speaking my opinion on the work of the company which I believe is a mass number of people who can agree with me on that. Start praising or criticising!

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/SentaiFilmworks/posts/773550246005423?notif_t=notify_me[/url]
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Just filled out the survey. I would love to see premium style releases with Sentai. ADV always had great art boxes, and I would love to see something similar from Sentai. It would be great if they would release even more soundtracks, though I know that can be difficult. I've enjoyed the few that they've released.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Just filled out the survey. I would love to see premium style releases with Sentai. ADV always had great art boxes, and I would love to see something similar from Sentai. It would be great if they would release even more soundtracks, though I know that can be difficult. I've enjoyed the few that they've released.

Same here. Their Sentai gatchaman release brings that nostalgia back full force even though its not chipboard. Even my Blue Seed, Elfen Lied, This ugly/beautiful world, excel saga, eva platinum, and saint seiya artboxes are still intact and NOT PEELING!

But I say there going to start out small first. ADV would go all out on there products before passing out it with multiple marketing campaigns. But maybe Section 23 has improved since Sentai is asking that question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2