• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Warfare (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
This one has potential.
The story seems interesting enough.
Characters look nice as well.
Action parts were really good.
I'm gonna be watching this one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
I dug it. I actually like Magical Schools, so that's a plus for me. I thought the action scenes were pretty well done so I hope that keeps up as opposed to, "we'll shoot our load in the first eppie or two and then go to humdrum animation after that."
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just making a small disclaimer here. Magic schools are actually one of my favourite, if not my absolute favourite setting for a story. I'm just worried (admittedly very prematurely) about it falling into training/tournament hell.

As always when my expectations are low, I hope I'm proven wrong.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I also was impressied with this one. The story is interesting, I like the characters, it has good action, and it's Madhouse which is a plus.

Winter is apparently the season of supernatural/magic anime. There's like 4 of them now that I'm watching.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get even a few minutes past the op. I got to the point where she shoots at his head point blank in response to her falling off the bed and accidentally kissing him. He responds to this with a mere "Calm down," and I respond to that by turning the show off.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought too much while I was watching the show so I didn't get my usual "brain dead" enjoyment approach to this show.

First off, Mui's spoiler[annoying "tsundere" antics are such a frustration to deal with. Then the whole fight that occur after this had my eyes rolling. The MC was able to fight on-par against a magician. Really, I thought his bamboo kendo sword would break in at least two swings but because of his 'plot armor', he was able to defeat the magician. Not only that, but they both apparently have the same powers and yet the magician never used his (or at least that's how I interpreted the fight).] But hey, who am I to bring up real world laws and physics in a show about magic.

Those were my biggest peeves this episode. The show does have few good merits and I'm really interested in MC's backstory which is a total mystery now. Other than that, I find it hard to care for the other characters. I also really like the female character designs but Mui's actions in the nurse offices make me want to strangle myself.

I'm not really impressed by this show but I'll probably just keep going along with the ride because I become a masochist when I'm watching anime. I just enjoy things I shouldn't.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of the show, but a lengthy info dump during a chase scene doesn't really work. I'll definitely keep watching, but a better second episode would be nice
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This was the most hyped up show of the season, so my expectations were maybe higher than they should have been.

What a mess that episode was. They tried to cram entirely too many developments into one episode. I felt like I was watching a mid-season recap.

It wasn't the worst debut of the season (Nobanaga) but it was the most disappointing to me. Hopefully they will slow down in later episodes and present something worth following.

There's potential here, but they have to do a much better job of showing it.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
I started skipping through the video before I even finished the first episode. This anime is a prime example of lazy writing. Why bother doing actual work when you can just copy/paste the plot and characters of better shows that came before you? The poster image tricked me into thinking it would be a serious show with some decent action at least. NOPE
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I like the show. So is this gonna be the show of the season that is decent but gets hit with alot of hate?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This show is so mind-numbingly weak it's not even worth hating. But it's also not worth watching either.

getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
finally, Amnesia has a use
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This show is so mind-numbingly weak it's not even worth hating. But it's also not worth watching either.

Start off with 2 mainly exposition based episodes and I have other things to watch, maybe I will come back at the end of the run and see if the show is finished telling us about magic and history 101.
Leprochaun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
The description of this show made me think it was going to be much darker. And thus, I have been let-down. Oh well, it's my own fault for holding such hopes.

Anyways, what I've experienced from watching these first two episodes is practically nothing positive.
The writing seems like it's driving towards an elementary audience. Not just because it feels the need to explain things in ways that insult my intelligence. But also because the characters act incredibly childish(By that I mean younger than they already are)- well at least to me they do.

This show has no lack of plot directions either.
-spoiler[Mui and her Brother]
-spoiler[Takeshi's family problems.]
-spoiler[Magic war with ghost trailers, the "bad guys"(Apparently they tried to erase all humans with some super powerful spell. Though my understanding is that using magic on a human makes them into a magician? Wouldn't that just make all humans into magicians? This must be a spell that can break the laws the plot set for itself.)]
-spoiler[Previous owner of Takeshi's new sword(Which seems much more interesting than any other plot.)]

Well, I'm not watching this anymore.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
finally, Amnesia has a use

Yep. And I plan to use that gif for every show I drop, so don't be surprised when it appears in the forum again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7