• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ar no Surge RPG Linked to Ar Tonelico With Shurelia's Return

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

What's bad about liking the first one? You're making no sense.

Well for one Aurica is the worst. Just terrible. I loathe everything about her. Secondly Lyner's an asshole.

Thirdly the battle system is boooooorrrriiiiiiing.

Its not a total loss, Misha is great, and theres some really good songs, but thats about it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved the first Tonelico the best. Not only did it have a balanced story that only occasionally bordered on silly moments (but did not go over the top with them), but Lyner, Ayatane, Aurica, Misha and Shurelia also appeared in Cross Edge. There was even one character in AT that I personally loved meeting for the first time, but he wasn't playable sadly.

AT2 was okay, but I can't give it anything higher than a C minus. The battle system was a bit shoddy with its attack and defense phases. And yes, in agreement, I couldn't stand either Cloche or Luca. Those girls need to check themselves into a mental ward (especially Luca, damn what a head case) because they don't know how to use their brains nor do they know how to treat Croix with any level of respect. Jacqli was kind of an attitude case at times and I wasn't a huge fan of hers either (yeah I know who she is, but I also don't care). I feel like I connected more with Shun, Leglius and Amarie than anyone else on the team.

AT3 was just...ugh. Saki's song turning enemy soldiers into cakes? Seriously? And they waste a cutscene doing the same thing to enemy ships. Even by Japanese absurdity standards, that's just way too stupid for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the character designs or the locations you had to visit. The dialogue gets really bland at times, and other times the characters spend too much blabbering about the party's most obvious goal while occasionally throwing insults at Aoto for being himself. The battle system was an utter joke, pretending to be Star Ocean or Tales or something. And of course the emphasis on taking everyone's clothes off to "increase their power"...what were they thinking with this game, honestly?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Aquaregia99 wrote:
It's weird because the character Shurelia is part of the Ar Tonelico series which was a multi-media project between Gust Corporation and Banpresto (most likely part of the reason that they started a new series with Surge Concerto as opposed to continuing Ar Tonelico, the other part being that Ar Tonelico is just over). These two companies have since become subsidiaries of different larger entities. So I'm wondering if there was some sort of licensing agreement for the IP with regards to Shurelia with Namco Bandai to allow them to use the character or if characters in Ar Tonelico are owned wholly by Gust (and therefore Tecmo Koei).

The Ban in Banpresto has always stood for Bandai and it's had that name since 1989 so they've been a part of Namco Bandai since long before the AT series, that hasn't changed. Banpresto is listed as publisher and Gust as developer so Banpresto probably didn't actually own any character rights, just the distribution rights in Japan.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Ar Tonelico 2 is not only my favorite of the Ar Tonelico trilogy but tied for my favorite PS2 RPG (the other being Tales of the Abyss). AT3 was alright, but certainly not nearly as good AT2. I liked it more than AT1 though. Still need to get around to NG+ and do the Finnel and, er, 3rd girl endings.

belvadeer wrote:
I personally loved the first Tonelico the best. Not only did it have a balanced story that only occasionally bordered on silly moments (but did not go over the top with them), but Lyner, Ayatane, Aurica, Misha and Shurelia also appeared in Cross Edge. There was even one character in AT that I personally loved meeting for the first time, but he wasn't playable sadly.

I haaaaaated Lyner for what he did to Misha late in the game. And Aurica is a horrible, horrible character. Her entire character is that she has massive dependency issues and she never really fixes that from what I recall. I found her obnoxiou and unsympathetic and laughed at her when she pops up during the split on Misha's route and is losing her goddamned mind because Lyner wasn't there or something.

belvadeer wrote:

AT2 was okay, but I can't give it anything higher than a C minus. The battle system was a bit shoddy with its attack and defense phases. And yes, in agreement, I couldn't stand either Cloche or Luca. Those girls need to check themselves into a mental ward (especially Luca, damn what a head case) because they don't know how to use their brains nor do they know how to treat Croix with any level of respect. Jacqli was kind of an attitude case at times and I wasn't a huge fan of hers either (yeah I know who she is, but I also don't care). I feel like I connected more with Shun, Leglius and Amarie than anyone else on the team.

Cloche and Luca were great characters. They had interests and character arcs that didn't revolve around the main character and rely on him to solve everything for them. It's funny seeing Luca criticized for being a 'head case' when such issues are par the course for VNs and anime. Extra funny to see them criticized for 'not using their brains' by someone with the favorite character of Aurica, especially since this is a rare game that completely ejects the main guy from the end of their character issues. Jacqli was the only character for which I felt Croix ending up romantically involved with worked or felt right. Not that there wasn't room for improvement, but man, that Jacqli's ending scene with Croix was beautiful.

Anyway, there's this thing called character development and sometimes people start out as unpleasant people or otherwise do less than great things. Then they grow from it. That's how character growth works. Sometimes their relationships change too. Luca and Cloche's relationship growth was one of the best things I've seen in an RPG (again, even if there was room for improvement in some areas). Also, I find it odd how people so utterly hated Luca, apparently just because of that scene in the prison cell. It's like no one cares about her or her situation, just HOW DARE SHE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CROIX LIKE THAT. And really, while her cosmosphere gets pretty weird, she's not even much of a headcase. Hell, she's not even the most fucked up character in this little series (hi, Finnel and Aurica).

Fencedude5609 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

What's bad about liking the first one? You're making no sense.

Well for one Aurica is the worst. Just terrible. I loathe everything about her. Secondly Lyner's an asshole.

Thirdly the battle system is boooooorrrriiiiiiing.

Its not a total loss, Misha is great, and theres some really good songs, but thats about it.

The 3rd game's battle system sure needed some work, but at least it didn't encourage you to drag out the battles to get better loot. It also had the least interesting story. The only good stuff was about Misha or Mir, and the latter's stuff was only at the very end of the game. Overall story was still meh.

And seriously, fudge Lyner and Aurica.
aquagon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ar Tonelico 2 is not only my favorite of the Ar Tonelico trilogy but tied for my favorite PS2 RPG (the other being Tales of the Abyss). AT3 was alright, but certainly not nearly as good AT2. I liked it more than AT1 though. Still need to get around to NG+ and do the Finnel and, er, 3rd girl endings.

I haaaaaated Lyner for what he did to Misha late in the game. And Aurica is a horrible, horrible character. Her entire character is that she has massive dependency issues and she never really fixes that from what I recall. I found her obnoxiou and unsympathetic and laughed at her when she pops up during the split on Misha's route and is losing her goddamned mind because Lyner wasn't there or something.

Cloche and Luca were great characters. They had interests and character arcs that didn't revolve around the main character and rely on him to solve everything for them. It's funny seeing Luca criticized for being a 'head case' when such issues are par the course for VNs and anime. Extra funny to see them criticized for 'not using their brains' by someone with the favorite character of Aurica, especially since this is a rare game that completely ejects the main guy from the end of their character issues. Jacqli was the only character for which I felt Croix ending up romantically involved with worked or felt right. Not that there wasn't room for improvement, but man, that Jacqli's ending scene with Croix was beautiful.

Anyway, there's this thing called character development and sometimes people start out as unpleasant people or otherwise do less than great things. Then they grow from it. That's how character growth works. Sometimes their relationships change too. Luca and Cloche's relationship growth was one of the best things I've seen in an RPG (again, even if there was room for improvement in some areas). Also, I find it odd how people so utterly hated Luca, apparently just because of that scene in the prison cell. It's like no one cares about her or her situation, just HOW DARE SHE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CROIX LIKE THAT. And really, while her cosmosphere gets pretty weird, she's not even much of a headcase. Hell, she's not even the most fucked up character in this little series (hi, Finnel and Aurica).

The 3rd game's battle system sure needed some work, but at least it didn't encourage you to drag out the battles to get better loot. It also had the least interesting story. The only good stuff was about Misha or Mir, and the latter's stuff was only at the very end of the game. Overall story was still meh.

And seriously, fudge Lyner and Aurica.

While I agree with your points in defense of the AT2 heroines, just because I agree that they were great characters due to the numerous flaws they had and the tremendous development they went through the game (heck, compare Luca how she is at the start of the game to when she sings Hartes ciel, melenas walasye, and look up the lyrics to that song; and for Cloche, compare her to how she was at the beginning to when she sang METHOD_METAFALICA/.). However, I can never agree how you're bashing Aurica and Lyner in order to do so. Aurica herself was quite a troubled character and one that had large justification for her massive dependence issues, not to mention all the causes for her horribly low self-steem, which she ends up overcoming after the second phase of the game and ends becoming much more confident (and her Drama CD even goes deeper in on why she was giving up on life during the singing of Linker and why she decided to become a music box crafter instead of continuing her career in the Church).

As for Misha, sorry, but after reading all the extra material in the Toukousphere, I can only see her as blowing her problems out of proportion, as the Star Singers only have to sing for 30 years and then they are free to do as they please for the other 110~ years of life they have left with a full-on welfare program sponsored by Platina's government, only needing to use some of their time to train a little their successors. She even flat-out stated she was being a drama queen about it in her Lv.6 Cosmosphere just to attract Lyner's attention.

As for Lyner, Tsuchiya himself admitted he dropped the ball horribly with that scene with Misha because he felt he was being too verbose with what he wanted to convey on it: it was originally something along the lines "I'll fight to release you from your duty and make a world where no one else has to sacrifice themselves for a peaceful world. For that, I need you to please sing to keep Mir sealed for the time being. I need you to fight in the best way you can". And because of summarizing that, we ended up with "Misha, can't you sing again?", which leads to Misha storming off due to having misinterpreted Lyner's words, and because everyone gets so enraged at this, they miss out how Lyner right afterwards goes to apologize to and console Misha and begins wondering what point there is for her to be singing if that doesn't bring anyone any measure of happiness.

And, belvadeer, saying AT2's battle system was shoddy, that puts you in the minority, considering Ar nosurge's battle system is heavily based on it and was the one that got the largest support on the trilogy from the fans on both sides of the world. I'd even wager that it's considered the best battle system Gust has made and that it's tied with Mana Khemia 2's for that spot.

And you might want to call several plot points for AT3 ridiculous, for unfortunately for you, they have canon justification, especially Saki's cake power: she emits waveforms that distort those of the matter she chooses around her and reforms them into the shape of cakes, all of which is based on the Third Tower-exclusive EXEC_FLIP/. program. And it isn't like it's the only instance of it in the game: Arphage, Fusionsphere, and even the Persona Changes all run under the same general principles as that program. The detail is that EXEC_FLIP/. was never perfected and therefore, it has such large energy requirements that if the user uses it too much, she will end up killing herself due to the consumption of her life force.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
aquagon wrote:

As for Misha, sorry, but after reading all the extra material in the Toukousphere, I can only see her as blowing her problems out of proportion, as the Star Singers only have to sing for 30 years and then they are free to do as they please for the other 110~ years of life they have left with a full-on welfare program sponsored by Platina's government, only needing to use some of their time to train a little their successors. She even flat-out stated she was being a drama queen about it in her Lv.6 Cosmosphere just to attract Lyner's attention.

As for Lyner, Tsuchiya himself admitted he dropped the ball horribly with that scene with Misha because he felt he was being too verbose with what he wanted to convey on it: it was originally something along the lines "I'll fight to release you from your duty and make a world where no one else has to sacrifice themselves for a peaceful world. For that, I need you to please sing to keep Mir sealed for the time being. I need you to fight in the best way you can". And because of summarizing that, we ended up with "Misha, can't you sing again?", which leads to Misha storming off due to having misinterpreted Lyner's words, and because everyone gets so enraged at this, they miss out how Lyner right afterwards goes to apologize to and console Misha and begins wondering what point there is for her to be singing if that doesn't bring anyone any measure of happiness.

I'm at least glad they realized they screwed up that part. Not sure how much that helps, been too long since I played it. "Only" 30 years is still a long goddamn time and is asking for a massive sacrifice on her part. And it's very odd that that information wasn't in the actual game somewhere.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

My my, someone's defensive. I know what character development is, and I wasn't impressed with how AT2 handled it. I was thinking of all those other times Luca ticked me off with her reactions and comments to things. The jail scene may have been a precursor, but it wasn't what I was thinking of when I stated my dislike of her.

So bottom line: you hate Lyner and Aurica. I dislike Cloche and Luca. You can't just leave it at that?

aquagon wrote:
And, belvadeer, saying AT2's battle system was shoddy, that puts you in the minority, considering Ar nosurge's battle system is heavily based on it and was the one that got the largest support on the trilogy from the fans on both sides of the world. I'd even wager that it's considered the best battle system Gust has made and that it's tied with Mana Khemia 2's for that spot.

It's not like I'm the only one. A lot of people said they got headaches from all the shaking the screen did during the defense phase.

aquagon wrote:
And you might want to call several plot points for AT3 ridiculous, for unfortunately for you, they have canon justification, especially Saki's cake power: she emits waveforms that distort those of the matter she chooses around her and reforms them into the shape of cakes, all of which is based on the Third Tower-exclusive EXEC_FLIP/. program. And it isn't like it's the only instance of it in the game: Arphage, Fusionsphere, and even the Persona Changes all run under the same general principles as that program. The detail is that EXEC_FLIP/. was never perfected and therefore, it has such large energy requirements that if the user uses it too much, she will end up killing herself due to the consumption of her life force.

I know all that, but it doesn't mean it justifies how ridiculous it was.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well that's good news for Ar Tonelico fans. And I had been wondering if the series had ended but of course that always brings out hornets. Yet there hadn't been a follow up since the 3rd game. But now we have a tie in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2