• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idea Factory Discusses Censoring in Western Monster Monpiece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Stall_19 wrote:
I mean look at this shit
http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/3498813
If anyone finds something like this sexy then they have serious issues.

Is shit for you, i find this art very good and beautiful and i like it for what it is, just a draw.
And since is a complete draw i don't have any issue of it, art is a very imaginary world and everyone has the right to draw everything since it harm no one and rapresent no one irl.
If you don't like it or have issue with drawings simply ignore it, nobody force you to do so or limit your freedom, your personal attack to people who think different from you is not justified and invasive.

Nope, that argument is not going to fly. That is not some "work of art", that was made solely to titillate and if someone is titillated by what I'm entitling "Creepy old pedophile forces young girl to undress so he can take pictures of her" then that person has serious, serious issues and I'm not going to feel tiniest bit of regret at calling that person creepy.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Here's a quick visual history lesson in censorship.

Before

After

Yes people changing things based on social standards regarding the sexulized deceptions of little girls is just like living under a totalitarian regime.

This is a poor and vapid post masquerading as being smart and powerful in hopes that you don't sit and think about the context.

This is not at all like Soviet Russia where they censored to keep the masses dumb and controlled. To install a sense of fear and dread and compliance. To give the idea nothing is wrong, you're government is perfect and in control. Do not complain.

This is a company-not forced by the government btw- changing touchy material because society here has some issues with the type of material. Hell, it's not even hiding the changes, it's being upfront with you about how it's changed this complete luxury item.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:

I think is better don't release it at all if they have to alter the original content, and leave an unofficial release made by fansub game translators.

One would need a modded system to play unofficial "fansub" games; such games wouldn't be available to regular gamers regardless, so it's pretty much might as well not exist for most. A non-release.

Anyways, they're a business, not some sort of freedom crusaders - so if they make money out of this, that'd justify their actions to themselves; if they don't, then they no longer won't, simple. Think back why they originally made it like this in the first place: to make money in Japan. And now, they're just trying to do the same thing in America. It's not some sort of morals or freedom. What makes money in one place may not make money in another place without serious implications. Time will tell if they're right.

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 am; edited 2 times in total
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
This is what happens to Japanese game companies when they try to sell their product in other countries inhabited by conservatives & Christofascists.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
This is what happens to Japanese game companies when they try to sell their product in other countries inhabited by conservatives & Christofascists.
Yep. If your not for things that arguably look like sexualized young teens, you gotta be a conservative and Christ Fanatic.

Ironic coming from people saying "don't call me a creep for liking this imagery". You're now doing exactly the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
I still say a boycott should be there for this. People can say "well they'll just think no one wants this game because of that." What people could do is also send them emails or what ever with their displeasure about the censorship. Game is targeted at a niche audience, who most likely know how to set up a jp psn account and get funds for said jp account to buy the game and a english text dlc patch. The way I look at is the censorship is stupid and if people buy it this leads to them going "Well we censored it and they weren't happy but they still bought it so we can keep doing this."
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
Nope, that argument is not going to fly. That is not some "work of art", that was made solely to titillate and if someone is titillated by what I'm entitling "Creepy old pedophile forces young girl to undress so he can take pictures of her" then that person has serious, serious issues and I'm not going to feel tiniest bit of regret at calling that person creepy.

Is work of art, every draw created is, in any form in everyplace in every medium, freedom of speech is absolute not relative of individual moralism.
You are creepy and sick and you need serious help and apart this you have no rights to judge what people like or not or free insulting people for what they like based on your personal tastes.
I find it splendid art and very well made, nothing more nothing less, this is my opinion and i continue to support it.

Amiantos wrote:
The way I look at is the censorship is stupid and if people buy it this leads to them going "Well we censored it and they weren't happy but they still bought it so we can keep doing this."

Completely agree, but the fact is that a decision like this affect all west countries, not only Us, in europe games like these aren't an issue (in a lot of countries here drawings are considered mere fantasy and not real works).
Boycott is a stronge message, fans should not to buy this game if they are against censorship, shot them in the pocket, and the more the better.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Agarest War 2 released uncut? I don't know, I thought if that got released just fine Monpiece wouldn't be a problem.
0seveN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
Funny how everyone was excited about Idea Factory doing English Compile Heart stuff because NISA was censoring.
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
Rensie wrote:
Stall_19 wrote:
I mean look at this shit
http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/3498813
If anyone finds something like this sexy then they have serious issues.

Is shit for you, i find this art very good and beautiful and i like it for what it is, just a draw.
And since is a complete draw i don't have any issue of it, art is a very imaginary world and everyone has the right to draw everything since it harm no one and rapresent no one irl.
If you don't like it or have issue with drawings simply ignore it, nobody force you to do so or limit your freedom, your personal attack to people who think different from you is not justified and invasive.

Creepy old pedophile? Naked teens does not equal a pedophile behind the work. A lolicon, perhaps, but not a pedophile. While she may not be my type because I'm not into glasses, I will respect people who enjoy this ARTWORK.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
This would be fine and perfectly understandable if it was just the cards that feature very young looking girls, but it's not. A lot of the cards that they're censoring are of rather busty women that no one would mistake for a kid. I'd be willing to support the game if they went back through their choices of cards to censor and changed their minds on the ones that actually look like adults, but as it is, nope.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
Not too surprised about the difference in rating since Europe is more open to sex than US. US is more open to violence than the rest of the world and can see the censor in that situation, especially Japan. Still find some of the censor cards not that troublesome compared to the ones they left in.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
The problem with censorship, is that you have one group of people telling another group of people what they can watch.

The material is unimportant. The power to control what people are allowed to watch is what is disturbing.

Have no problem with social mores in public or broadcast TV, and even understand it. But in the privacy of your own home it has no place.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Let's try and tone down the rhetoric. We don't need people finger-pointing and generalizing opposition to their viewpoints in such condescending and disrespectful ways. All it does is promote arguments and diminish the discussion of the actual topic. As the rules state; disagree respectfully or not at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hwertz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Spotlesseden"]might as well just not bring to us. Sex sales. Not many people are going to buy it now.

I'm not getting it either way.[/quote]
Agreed 100%.

If they (for whatever reason) decided a few characters needed shorts or whatever in a fighting game, or an RPG, an action game, etc. , well they are being prudes but whatever, the changes probably won't be noitceable in general.

A game where you..umm....power up... chracters by rubbing them, and the clothes get skimpier after much rubbing? Not my kind of game, but it seems truly pointless to release the game if a bunch of the characters just have a number increase rather than having the clothes actually change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11