• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Novels Get New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
>ugly low budget CG battles instead of the glorious 2D ones of the original
This is gonna be shit.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news! I've never seen the original series, but I'm just happy I'll get to experience this franchise in some form.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
So "boring Germans in space" is getting a make over? This was an old saying an older anime fan and friend of mine use to say. At the time the first series was the talk among exclusive circles (people he knew). And he's a fan of political, military type shows like this. But apparently there was something about this show that I knew very little about that brought about those feelings. But I'll have to say the OP had the most beautiful and sweetest sounding vocalization you'd ever hear. I loved it and it fit the subtlety of the OP. Never watched the show because I'm not into sci-fi, military type anime. I still have to give Gundam-Z a shot. At least I've watched 'Macross' and the 'Southern Cross'. But I'm sure this show found it's base. But it is interesting to see this series get rebooted.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
>ugly low budget CG battles instead of the glorious 2D ones of the original
This is gonna be shit.

That's the spirit!

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully it's a multi-cour television anime.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
although I'm 99.9% certain that this will be **** compared to the classic one but I'm still gonna check out the character designs at least. Cool
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
There's so much that they can do wrong and so little they can improve upon.

They'll probably cater to today's demographic and have Charlotte be one of the MC's, as well as playup the Reinhardt/Lohengramm relationship into something that it was not.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Arslan. The adaptation we have of LoGH is perfectly fine already.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, light novel boring nazi imouto crap.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
as well as playup the Reinhardt/Lohengramm relationship into something that it was not.

Not quite sure how you play up the relationship of a character with himself.

(I get what you meant there)

Anyway, yes, it is true there is a lot that can go wrong here. However, just hearing a new project of one of my favorite anime epics is in the works is reason enough to get me pumped. If it turns out crappy... oh well, there's always the magnificent first series.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see how bishounen they turn the characters into these days. This has the potential to be a huge fujo series
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It's so odd to me that producers keep having to tell people they're adapting the source material and not re-doing an earlier adaptation. The Sailor Moon folks had to do that too. Are people that dense?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd prefer to see it done in movies or OVAs again, but how exciting! Certainly this project's happening is owed to the BDs selling so well and the fervor never dying down in Japan while constantly growing internationally, not Tytania's existence or anything of that sort.

I've never read the novels, I doubt many have who aren't Japanese have, but I can't really see how the original OVAs can be improved upon. Pacing? Nah, the show is sublime because it takes so long to develop the complexities and build the myriad cast. Art? Not if it's going to be long, artwork always suffers in those cases. Story and characters? Not much can be changed there anyway. What LoGH needs more than anything is just a proper BD, without those digital fixes, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

For those who haven't seen it, you should probably just dig in. It's chances of getting licensed are miniscule, so that's not a concern.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Can't wait to see how bishounen they turn the characters into these days. This has the potential to be a huge fujo series

I think it always did have a good female following, but the designs should be pretty easy to keep intact. They're not overly entrenched in the 80s.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
There is a god ! And right after i had mostly written of modern anime. Will new otakus even get the anime ? No moe, fanservice or teenage heroes who go to high school on the side in sight ! Thus it could flop but whore cares the best anime of all time returns. Now i only need an ending to Berserk in my lifetime and i can die in peace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

People said the same thing about Space Battleship Yamato 2199,yet the fanservice it added was minimal.
LoGH is an amazing an anime that has aged superbly,which really puts the new staff members in strange position,where it is very hard to improve the original and impossible to modernize it.I am really interested what they will do.
Quote:
There is a god ! And right after i had mostly written of modern anime. Will new otakus even get the anime ? No moe, fanservice or teenage heroes who go to high school on the side in sight ! Thus it could flop but whore cares the best anime of all time returns.

Again,Space Battleship Yamato 2199!
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
umm....I hate to break it to people but all the Main novels were covered in the 110 OVA unless the author has more side stories I don't see how this remake will work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5