• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Engaged to the Unidentified eps 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't have all that much to say. I appreciate how enjoyable and interesting this show is. It is full of energy, has good comedic timing, and mixes things up so as to be fresh. It is proof that with competent staff who actually care about their material, any genre can be made interesting again. Both leads are good and decent people who are very likeable and are treated with respect by the writing. Plus I do like Kobeni's character design; those hips are a treat. Finally, Mashiro's voice initially annoyed me but I have (mostly) gotten used to it; possibly an acquired taste.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I was another this series impressed with the quality of its writing and humour. I think Benio's a bit overplayed, but Mashiro's antics are almost pitch-perfect in every scene she's in, which is a lot of them.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised how well-received this is. I enjoy it overall, but the combination of the bride-to-be gimmick and the repeated emphasis on Kobeni's cooking abilities did bother me a bit, and I'm not even especially sensitive to those things. Didn't help that Mashiro arrived with the intent to groom her into the perfect wife. Really, all I got out of that was an urge to look up scone recipes.

Maybe I've watched too much anime, but I don't find the characters that special. Benio instantly reminds me of Akane's sister from Yuru Yuri. Hakuya has mostly been a weak presence character like the brother in Non Non Biyori. Kobeni and Mashiro are fun, but nothing really new or impressive. Sure, Kobeni isn't the typical head full of flowers, but that's not setting the bar very high.

The pace also feels a bit slow. I appreciate that they don't just play all their cards up front, but at the same time, the central "plot" hasn't gone very far, nor do I find it particularly suspenseful or intriguing. I'm not impressed that the secrets are used to actually provide meaningful explanations. The fact that that stands out really says more about the quality of the other stuff we've gotten used to.

It is super cute though, especially Mashiro and the scene with her dancing to the TV.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I personally find the two main leads likable but sadly I had to drop this series because I'm tired of seeing the kind of character Mashiro is. It feels so forced and unnatural and I've already seen her antics in several series before. Benio is also quite cliché but at least her seiyuu doesn't kill my ears.

Normally I would overlook these things that bother me but at least up till ep 4 the kid eats too much screentime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm following this title as well and I agree with Theron's review except I think I like Benio's antics more than he does. I'm not sure why I find lezzie pedos hilarious, but I inevitably do. Benio reminds me of a less lascivious version of that chick from Kanamemo who was way into little girls.

What makes it work is poor little Mashiro's primal panic reactions to Benio's depredations. (Gaaa!) They also served up a pretty standard but well done straight-man in the form of Benio's class VP who has the role of dragging her off by the scruff of the neck all the time.

Benio would be totally unfunny without those two foils to bounce off of. But it is really Mashiro that is the unique personality here. She is such an earnest character -- takes everything seriously -- and has an overactive imagination. I would be tempted to tease her the way Benio does.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
^
Agreed on all points, and if I write an end-of-season review on this one then I will bring all of that up. While I did criticize Mashiro a bit in the review for sometimes being over-the-top, it's the voice that annoyed me moreso than the character. Both her and Benio have gradually grown on me over the last few episodes, to the point that I now see their antics as indispensable; since the lead is a more sedate character, they are the series' energy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy - Very good points! The way Mashiro is written does make the tropes fresher.
stephen12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this one. Hehe.. Looking forward to read this soon. Reading for the title makes me curious and wanting to read it as soon as possible. Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm following this title as well and I agree with Theron's review except I think I like Benio's antics more than he does. I'm not sure why I find lezzie pedos hilarious, but I inevitably do. Benio reminds me of a less lascivious version of that chick from Kanamemo who was way into little girls.

I like to think it's a takeoff on girls-fanservice urges taken to a self-kidding extreme.

Blood- wrote:
What makes it work is poor little Mashiro's primal panic reactions to Benio's depredations. (Gaaa!) They also served up a pretty standard but well done straight-man in the form of Benio's class VP who has the role of dragging her off by the scruff of the neck all the time.

Benio would be totally unfunny without those two foils to bounce off of. But it is really Mashiro that is the unique personality here. She is such an earnest character -- takes everything seriously -- and has an overactive imagination. I would be tempted to tease her the way Benio does.

I'll second that--Benio's pure pervertedness would be the only "mad spark" in an otherwise sedate romantic comedy, but as there aren't really more aspects to her personality, it was starting to get old about halfway into the first episode until Mashiro showed up.
Sort of like the way Mr. Kimura on Azumanga Daioh would be just plain creepy without poor, panicking Kaorin having to be the one to fend off his daily wrongness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2