• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's 35th Year Marked With Reconguista in G, The Origin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Super happy to finally see a new Tomino project get off the ground. One of my favorite directors.

From the old news reports on "G-Reko" dating yeeeeears back, one gets the impression that perhaps this started life as an original project and ended up becoming a Gundam thing - but that's all guesswork, maybe we'll get some detail on that somewhere later. Either way, I'm glad this happening before the old man gets any older.

Actually if you go back to his initial interviews about this show in 2011, this was always meant to take place in the far future of UC. He was very explicit about that.

What he didn't want to do was to call this a Gundam show, since there are connotations with that name.

The final title seems to reflect that. The "Gundam" name seems to be slapped on, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was something the marketing division did to make Gundam fans pay more attention to this.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Gundam film trilogy -> Char's counterattack -> Turn A. Everything else Tomino has done in the Gundam Universe is at best mediocre and at worst a steaming pile of shit.

I'll agree with you on the Trilogy and CCA but I'd add either Zeta (not that god awful New Translation) or Aura Battler Dunbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
This SHOULD hopefully extend into the beginning of the OYW. Char makes his name at Loum and The Origin even takes the extra step of having him take part in Revil's escape from Side 3.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
I
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Well there is also Wings of Rean which isn't bad at all.

You're kidding, right? That thing made even less sense than F91. It's one of the best examples of his godawful direction and screenwriting skills.

I said Wings of Rean, not Garzey's Wings. Wink
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat relieved that The Origin will not be a full-out remake of the original show. Although as far as supplementary stuff for the Universal Century goes, I'm still hoping that they'll do something with Operation British and the Battle of Loum.

As for G Reconguista, I'm expecting a neverending influx of comments comparing it to Eureka Seven.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:

Actually if you go back to his initial interviews about this show in 2011, this was always meant to take place in the far future of UC. He was very explicit about that.

What he didn't want to do was to call this a Gundam show, since there are connotations with that name.

So a show takes place in the UC timeline which up to now WAS the GUNDAM TIMELINE per excellence and it's not a Gundam show ? Yeah right. I mean Universal Century has the same connotation as Gundam.
Seriously saying that G Recko takes place in the far future of the UC means for all intents and purposes that it doesn't take place in the UC. The UC is inconsequential to the story. It might as well be any other timeline.

Quote:

The final title seems to reflect that. The "Gundam" name seems to be slapped on, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was something the marketing division did to make Gundam fans pay more attention to this.

If the Gundam name is slapped on, so is the UC name.

Truth be told Tomino has said time and time again that he doesn't want to make any more Gundam shows. I bet G Recko has nothing to do with what most fans expect of a Gundam show. Calling it Gundam and saying it takes place in the UC timeline won't change a damn thing.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
Hey, if it's just Overman King Gainer but with Gundam elements, I'm totally down for that.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
darkhunger wrote:

So a show takes place in the UC timeline which up to now WAS the GUNDAM TIMELINE per excellence and it's not a Gundam show ? Yeah right. I mean Universal Century has the same connotation as Gundam.
Seriously saying that G Recko takes place in the far future of the UC means for all intents and purposes that it doesn't take place in the UC. The UC is inconsequential to the story. It might as well be any other timeline.

Not really. One can make references to UC without actually making a full blown UC series, as Tomino had done with Turn A Gundam. Seems like he wanted to continue the UC story without making a Gundam series, basically. Nothing wrong with that.

Up until last summer Tomino still said that it was undecided whether this show would have a Gundam name.
Quote:

Quote:

If the Gundam name is slapped on, so is the UC name.

Truth be told Tomino has said time and time again that he doesn't want to make any more Gundam shows. I bet G Recko has nothing to do with what most fans expect of a Gundam show. Calling it Gundam and saying it takes place in the UC timeline won't change a damn thing.

I don't know how many Tomino interviews you have read, but the guy changes his mind like no other. You can't take something he said twenty years ago and expect it to hold true. That being said, I agree. From the start Tomino has made it clear that he's done with UC and with what Gundam tends to be and is making something new. And I think anyone who's seen Turn A Gundam would expect no less.
MadHi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
Man, Tomino keeps changing his mind. Is that why he is actually kind of slow with his projects?

Looks like they're taking the Gundam Wing approach by changing the timeline in the same universe.

I would rather they made an AU instead of sequels and side stories of UC, but I'm still going to watch these.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
So now Sunrise has to figure out when exactly "Reconguista in G" is in the timeline. As F91, Victory Gundam & Turn A Gundam are all 3 take place after the UC era.

Kinda hoped that they would go back the Seed or Wing universe, as those 2 timelines have been ignored a few years after they were created.

Was kinda thrown off by the character designs and animation style in the "Reconguista in G" trailer, as they haven't been used that way yet in the Gundam universe. But then saw that the character designs were by the same guy that did Eureka Seven(makes sense now).

I had a "meh" feeling when reading that "The Origin" was a 4 movie series. I'm glad that it's actually getting animated, but was expecting a tv series out of it instead. But I guess at least this way, it's condensed so that it avoid retreading the original Gundam movies.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't quite discount them doing a full adaptation of Origin yet. Maybe they are going in chronological order.

As for Reconguista, with Kenichi Yoshida involved and an atypical-looking Gundam, I'm getting some Overman King Gainer vibes. I'd be perfectly fine with it being similar to that show. It was a heck ton of fun.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I love being right Twisted Evil
The UC is dead, and Sunrise righfully invests in alternate timelines.
Bye bye UC, you've done the job for more than 30 years, now it's time to let the youngsters come in. Cool Laughing

Somewhere in this universe, a small group of irreducible UC taliban fans are going apeshit. Maybe they'll send death threats to Sunrise, like the eva fans did years ago against Anno ?

Huh?? Every title announced today was UC related in some way. And there were no major UC TV series for over a decade (correct me if I'm wrong).
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
So now Sunrise has to figure out when exactly "Reconguista in G" is in the timeline. As F91, Victory Gundam & Turn A Gundam are all 3 take place after the UC era.

Techinally F91 and V Gundam are Late UC as they are both in the Universal Century (F91 set at UC 0123 and V being UC 0153)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Huh?? Every title announced today was UC related in some way. And there were no major UC TV series for over a decade (correct me if I'm wrong).

No, you're right. Last tv series that uses UC era was Turn A Gundam, which ended in early 2000. Although technically the last UC tv series was 93-94's V Gundam as Turn A takes place in the Correct Century(CC takes place after UC, but is in the same universe).

LuckyAstei wrote:

Techinally F91 and V Gundam are Late UC as they are both in the Universal Century (F91 set at UC 0123 and V being UC 0153)

Ah, you're right. It's been so long since I checked the timeline chart that I kept thinking that the UC era ended after Unicorn.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I wouldn't quite discount them doing a full adaptation of Origin yet. Maybe they are going in chronological order.

I think the general assumption is that the 4 parts constitute the entirety of Origin, with young Char and Sayla being just episode 1. I'm also hoping this is incorrect and all 4 episodes are given over to those two's backstories and then Origin proper comes later, though that seems unlikely given the assumed time span between each episode of this 4-parter...
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Since 1993's Victory Gundam there have been no U.C animations made for the TV format, it's been all OVA's ever since. Thus it was somewhat inevitable that The Origin would be in the OVA/Movie format similar to Unicorn. Animation for it looks great by the way but the CGI Guntank has me a little apprehensive they might be trying to do the mobile suits in CGI instead of hand drawn which wouldn't exactly be welcome.

G in Reconquista looks sort of how I expected. I was expecting something kind of off the beaten path for Gundam in terms of setting ala Turn A since Tomino was directing and low and behold that's the case, but I wasn't expecting a reunion with the King Gainer character designer. The animation in the trailer looked kind of incomplete though or like it was taken from a very limited selection but that's sort of a common impression I get from a lot of first teasers. Compare it to the expected trailer that was shown for Unicorn and it looks so much further along.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied that I got what I watched the event for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5