• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ping Pong (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Gosh, i love every character in this show, how is that even possible?!

Peco's speech was awesome and it was nice to see more of him and Smile as kids.

Whatever the outcome of the next match(es) will be, i have faith enough in this show by now that it will be moving and convincing. I'm only scared that Peco might spoiler[ruin his knee for good], that would make me (and Smile and Grandma...) sad. Sad
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
I'll third Peco's speech - it was awesome. I made me re-assess both him and Smile.

It's great to watch a series with characters who have real personalites, who are not just confection. Even the baldies are fascinating and ultimately likeable. It's a little disappointing, though, how Weng has become marginalised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So I decided to give this series a try too and am now up to date with the broadcast. It's hard to get used to the animation/artwork, but the characters are indeed engaging.

Even though the series has clearly hinted that Smile will get in the same situation as spoiler[his mentor did years ago, from the looks of Peco's condition I'm afraid he won't be able to win his match against Kazama. Unless... the latter will get a personal crisis while playing Peco.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10.

I really love this show. It feels really tight and focused. The drama is not overdone. People have different reasons and motivations, but at no point does it feel that the show wallows in it. It tells us just what we need to know, so it doesn't interrupt the flow or momentum. Its also been nice how it slowly revealed some of the relationship between Peco and Smile. One more episode to go and I'm almost sad to see this show end, but at the same time it feels like it will be enough. I think this show has been my favorite of the season and hope there's enough streaming numbers to get a physical release.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh Peco. Even if you lose your next match, I would still be so very proud of him. What a great penultimate episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
So the Hero spoiler[saved the Dragon by teaching him the fun of playing (or something like that..). Very Happy] Peco has grown so much on me as a character and Smile spoiler[was having so much faith in his hero that he didn't even have to watch the match... ]

I loved the imagery spoiler[with the bird and Kazama growing wings]. It will be hard to top this epic episode, but i'm sure they gonna manage somehow.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
That has to be one of the best anime episodes I've ever seen. It's absolutely brimming with joy.

It's fantastic how the transformations undergone by Peco and Dragon are totally communicated and shared with the viewer.

I fear the last episode will be a let down. How could it top this?

And it's a sports anime. Who would have thought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The final didn't disappoint at all, it had everything i wanted...and more: spoiler[the buildup to their match with everybody getting excited, the match itself with Peco as The Hero and Smile literally coming alive and especially the ending when we got to see what became of everyone while also learning about the outcome of that match while looking at the picture on the wall (with Smile looking positively radiant).
]

What an amazing anime, i loved every minute of it! For me this deserves a Masterpiece rating.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11/Finale:
spoiler[Blood tastes like iron]~

There were some other quotes in this episode but this was the simplest yet most memorable one. The match between spoiler[Peco and Smile imo was wonderfully done with the OST (shit, I need to get this when it comes out).] The animation as usual was complex with an intense feeling demonstrated by the integrity. Overall storytelling and background characterization was so well done with this show's avant-garde style. Damn, I am seriously going to miss this series.

Most underrated and one of my favorites from this season. I will remember every character from this, especially you China. That ED song is also glorious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
That was fantastic way to go off , I definitely wasn't expecting finale to be so cathartic.Yuasa has shown off some amazing directorial skills,the last match felt really dynamic without relying on animation.I have gotten kind of desensitized to comic panels he was using, so it was good call to finally remove them in last match.I also liked how he used differing size of characters to show off the dominance in match , and light blue coloring that was present , immediately creates liberating atmosphere.Camera angles were also insane, especially the ones in which the camera races through entire hand, in order to show off its length and the subsequent impact on ball.
As far as the writing is concerned , it was really brilliant.A lot of characters and themes were introduced, so I don't have time to write anything substantial.I am kind of disappointed by hoow irrelevant Yurie turned out to be.And I think the epilogue is kind of fan fictiony.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Great series. Great characters. Great animation. Great ED theme.

I felt a let down at the end. Whether it was because the match seemed nowhere near as intense as the Kazama/Peco match or whether I was disappointed for Smile or whether China kinda faded out of the spotlight or whether, as Stark700 says, I'm going to miss this series, I'm not sure.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Great series. Great characters. Great animation. Great ED theme.

I felt a let down at the end. Whether it was because the match seemed nowhere near as intense as the Kazama/Peco match or whether I was disappointed for Smile or whether China kinda faded out of the spotlight or whether, as Stark700 says, I'm going to miss this series, I'm not sure.

I won't argue with your other points, but why would you feel bad for Smile? I thought the ending they gave him was just perfect. spoiler[He got everything he wanted and - more importantly - needed, i guess he was truly happy withz his life at the end. Unless you wanted him to win and go pro or something,] but that would have been a very shounen sports anime way of "solving his problems" and would have seriously dissapointed me...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
...why would you feel bad for Smile? I thought the ending they gave him was just perfect. spoiler[He got everything he wanted and - more importantly - needed, i guess he was truly happy with his life at the end. Unless you wanted him to win and go pro or something,] but that would have been a very shounen sports anime way of "solving his problems"...

Thanks for that. I think you are right. I guess I was rooting for spoiler[Smile to win and go pro], as you say. When I think about it, though, Peco is the one who lives and breathes table tennis. Smile has other things to do, spoiler[like getting a girlfriend, as the coda suggests].
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Great finish, but unsatisfactory in a big way. But first, the good. China got a good end, and I really like the transformations by Smile and Dragon. Even Akuma got a happy ending. There was some fantastic character development in these eleven episodes.

Now for the bad. I noticed the comments that said it was inevitable that Smile would give up so Peco could continue his career, but that was a red herring. The real lead was Smile's late comment that a hero has no weakness. I don't agree with that, and think it cheapened the ending. It's a little rich to have Peco be able to continue on with ping pong and be unaffected by his injury, especially after all the hype around it. See, like the hero he believes himself to be, Peco thinks nothing of sacrificing his knee to get Smile to smile again. Yet long-term he suffers no ill effects from it. He even goes on to becoming Japan's leading ace. I would have preferred there to be more pathos and consequences, like if Peco sacrificed his career for the sake of his friendship. What we got was having your cake and eating it too. I realise this show wasn't intended as a tragedy, but nevertheless it feels quite hollow, and very, very safe.

But as part of my compliment sandwich, now for some more praise. This show is known for being an unusual take on sports anime, but while that's kinda true it actually has little to do with the visuals (which is what everyone focuses on). Instead, the story is about how sport can change people. It can take hold of us and rule our lives, bearing down with incredible pressure and expectation and trapping its victims in a vicious cycle of pain and wasted effort. But sport can also free people, offering fun and fulfilment, allowing athletes to find themselves and also express themselves in ways most people cannot. Sport can damn you, but it can also save you. It's all up to what you are seeking to get out of it, and what you let it take from you.

Apart from that theme (and of course the visual style), the show was fairly by-the-book in terms of the elements it had. The basic story is pretty standard for a sports shounen. It's the intelligence and maturity way the story was told that's impressive. I just wish the ending wasn't a cop-out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5