• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon Anime's Visual & Script Changes for U.S. TV Detailed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
4kids-level editing.

Why am I not surprised...........

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess changing the name from Doraemon was the one thing that they wouldn't allowed changed, probably written into the contact.

Doesn't mean that they won't still butcher the pronunciation. You KNOW they will.

Last edited by RokugoPeachMoon on Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Seems that Disney is now a Neo-4Kids. :/ I will probably won't watch that 'americanized' sheet.

To the fansubs, I go!

To the fansubs ya probably never watched in the first place. Doubt you'd like it any better though. If it wasn't to your intrigue for years now, it wouldn't suddenly be to your taste just now.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun May 11, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedHotPT

Just 1 thing i don't understand.
What is Doraemon doing there??
They have to remove it and put Mickey Mouse there!!
How can Disney forget that during the editing???
Hoppy800

Mackre central. Hasn't anyone learned from the 1970's-1990's.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I laugh that seems everyone suddenly cares when they didn't really care for this show before.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I laugh that seems everyone suddenly cares when they didn't really care for this show before.

Oh, I don't personally give a shit about Dorrymans, just the principle of stupid and pointless edits.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

To the fansubs ya probably never watched in the first place. Doubt you'd like it any better though. If it wasn't to your intrigue for years now, it wouldn't suddenly be to your taste just now.

1. Who are you to determine what people are watching/ interested in?

2. I guess certain people will go to the ends of the earth to apologize and make excuses for these edits (doesn't change the reality though).
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I don't think people really care about the show in itself, more like they find the whole thing taken to such a level quite stupid, if not a little offensive at times.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Oh, I don't personally give a shit about Dorrymans, just the principle of stupid and pointless edits.

Ah ok, that's fine. Better than some feigned outrage.

RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

1. Who are you to determine what people are watching/ interested in?

2. I guess certain people will go to the ends of the earth to apologize and make excuses for these edits (doesn't change the reality though).

Didn't determine it for him; he just determined it himself.
RedHotPT

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I have watched before in my country TV (subtitled version and dubbed version).
And it was a great anime for children.
This series never needed any editing before.

I understand that some countries need some minor edits because what they see as appropriated for their children but this is just ridiculous.

If Disney need to make so many changes it would be better they do a complete new series. Maybe it would be cheaper.

Last edited by RedHotPT on Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
4kids-level editing.

Why am I not surprised...........

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess changing the name from Doraemon was the one thing that they wouldn't allowed changed, probably written into the contact.

Doesn't mean that they won't still butcher the pronunciation. You KNOW they will.

Was about to say this. It's gonna be awkward when the topic of Doraemon comes up and I'm the only one saying doh-RAH-eh-mohn and everyone else is saying Dorrymawn or do-Raymond.

Why the pizza, the tears, and the time capsule though... If the broadcast standards say to promote healthy eating, why did they add pizza...?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the edits, its a show for very young kids.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
#814635 wrote:
Who cares about the edits, its a show for very young kids.

So ? Just because it's made for young kids doesn't mean any kind of stupidity should be tolerated or encouraged. Young kids are probably smarter than we would like to believe. I'm sure a little exposure to some things they are not necessarily familiar with would not kill them.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh......why?.......-.-
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow. How horrendously unnecessary and ridiculous all those changes are.

They might as well not air it.

CHOPSTICKS ARE TOO FOREIGN, GUYS. NOBODY IN AMERICA WILL KNOW WHAT CHOPSTICKS ARE. AMERICAN CHILDREN NEVER CRY, SO GET RID OF THAT, TOO.

Whoever is in charge of these changes is a feeble-minded simpleton.

I wouldn't go that far necessarily. None of these changes fundamentally ruin the main content of the show. Whether the adaptation is any good depends on the quality of the acting and the translation of the scripts. Either it will be good enough to stand as a quality Americanized product, or bad enough for a few laughs at least (I still think it was worth having 4Kids butcher Yu-Gi-Oh, if only because the ludicrous dub changes inspired an Abridged Series).

But yeah, whoever decided any of these changes were necessary must be some kind of moron. Changing the setting to some generic place in America is nonsense. Why not give American kids a chance to identify with people from a different culture? It's not as though they would be completely baffled by chopsticks for instance. I eat with chopsticks all time when I order Chinese takeout. Besides, even I knew that rice balls were rice balls in Pokemon when growing up with the 4Kids dub of the show, despite them being referred to as donuts. Rolling Eyes

Thank Jesus Disney isn't allowed to edit their domestic releases of the Studio Ghibli films.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sun May 11, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12