• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things that are reliably realistic in anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of discussion about whether this or that in anime is "realistic" or not and it got me to wondering if there was anything in anime that was usually realistic. I wanted to make a list and almost everything I put on the list I removed. That is true even though the criteria is not "always" realistic (nothing is) just reliably so.

Right now I have one item left: School buildings. The occasional abstract outliers like our beloved Honnouji Academy or the quirky Rococo-themed Ohtori Academy aside, it seems that school has become so core to Japanese real life experience and culture that they almost cannot mis-portray them. From the old wooden structures (usually abandoned these days) to contemporary upscale and downscale academies and even schools in the future or in space they seem true to life backgrounds. In spite of never having been in one I think I could get around in one without a guide just after seeing so much anime.

Can someone suggest anything else?
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I would guess that most Japanese housing designs - whether dorms, apartments, or houses - set in modern day are very realistic (excepting of course intentionally outlandish or abstract designs). So are the occasional times that abandoned villages pop up in anime, as that is a well-documented phenomenon in Japan. Trains and train stations also always seem to be portrayed in impeccable detail, and I would bet that the depictions of Comiket-like events aren't far off from reality.

What I'd really like to know is how little truth there is to the impression that anime gives about numerous Japanese teenagers living on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have any suggestions, but...

The only thing that I think really needs to be realistic in anime is the only thing that really connects us humans to all these fictional worlds, the people. Their reactions and emotions should be relate-able, and explainable.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The sounds of summer are pretty spot on. One of my trips to Tokyo was during August and sure enough, the sound of cicadas seemed to fill the air of every park.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm from a Japanese woman who went through the Japanese school system that the phenomenon of girls getting confession letters in their shoe lockers from other girls does actually happen.

And while I don't know from first hand experience, I would say the preoccupation that anime high school students have with exams to get into a good university or college (i.e. the use of cram schools, etc) seems pretty realistic.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
But in reality, do they study and stuff for those exams? Because no one in anime ever seems to need it. (Oh, you use this equation there. Now I understand math!!!)
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
But in reality, do they study and stuff for those exams? Because no one in anime ever seems to need it.

From what I have seen it seems that the characters who are supposed to be normal students do study. It is the comic relief characters who do not study.
In K-On! I think that all of the girls except Yui and Ritsu are very serious about studying.

I believe that those entrance exams really are very important.

On the subject of schools and realism, I think that the way that the students stay in the room and the teachers move around is realistic.
Though I do not think that it is shown a lot because the stories tend to focus on one class.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that this topic popped up now. I have a japanese in-law and pummeled her with "is this thing from anime really a thing?" so many times that she banned me from asking her again.

Anyway, here's what I know. Source: one trip to Tokyo, Fukuoka, Tenjin and Dazaifu. A few questions to a japanese in-law and a blood relative who lived there for almost 10 years.

-Little boys in the country really do go hunting for insects (near Dazaifu, anyway).
-Kids trying to goose you with their finger. I didn't believe this at first but it happened to several people I know. I don't see it much in anime anymore though.
-Sound of summer. As Beltane said it's spot on. Actually, ambient sounds in anime are very realistic. The "construction" noise was so familiar from anime that I leaned against a wall, closed my eyes and could picture the camera panning by the cityscape in a big establishing shot.
-Akihabara. The place's layout is often depicted to accurately you can use anime as a map to get back to the station.
-Anime is always really accurate whenever real firearms are shown. Those guys make it absolutely 100% clear what gun the character is using. Usually because animes/manga with lots of guns are drawn by gun aficionados. Sometimes it's so accurate that a google image search will ID the gun.
-The boxy red backpack, blue smock and yellow bowl hat kindergarteners wear. I spat out my drink laughing when I saw a picture of my niece wearing that getup.
-Those dome things with the holes all over it that you see in playgrounds. I saw more than a few of them when I was in Japan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
*Surprisingly, the short skirts of school uniforms. I was told a while back, that skirts had to be past the knee for junior high.

OH NO. NOT THE CASE NOW.

I was just there in March!

*Also how passengers are portrayed on trains is accurate. Hardly anyone ever talks; if they do, it's quietly. The 'chikan' thing must be accurate too because there are signs in the stations that read something like "Gather your courage and scream if there's a chikan on the train. Let others know!"

*In Akihabara stations, there's a sign that reads "Watch out for upskirters!" (people who try to take pictures of girls' panties with their phones) every few feet on the stairwells. There was an episode of Comic Party that had a big scene over how wrong of an activity this is.

*Maid cafes are a real thing too. They walk around Akihabara handing out flyers.

*Oh, the game centers are also very accurate! The buildings are SEVEN STORIES.

*The print club booths, where you go with your friends or bf to get your pics taken. We walked right past those booths!

*Vending machines and food in general look identical to anime ones. Bentou boxes, pudding, cakes, mont blanc, melon bread, takoyaki, yakisoba, onigiri, omelet rice, croquettes, nikuman, taiyaki, it's all there. I am shocked nobody mentioned food at all!

*The sound of the railroad crossing (another geek moment for me)

*The shrines. We even saw men in hakama. The shrine maids will tell your fortune and you can buy good-luck charms and talisman (omamori). There are huge trees with big ropes and paper zigzags around them just like in Tenchi Muyo and Inuyasha. It's pretty awesome!

*McDonald's are PACKED with students. It's *the place* to hang out and chat.

*Characters getting separated in big crowds is truth. People just push and shove; it's not hard to lose track of your friend or even let go of their hands.

*Koi at shrines. I didn't see one jump but man, they are BIG fish. And if you feed them, they swarm all over each other.

*Deer have been shown to be aggressive in anime. Yes, they really are. They won't hurt you but they're pushy if you have food. They'll follow you and nudge you; it's funny.

*Just like shoujo heroines and shounen/seinen girls, girls and women dress very girly and cute. It's like a woman wearing jeans is unheard of.......(from the many crowds of people we saw, anyway.)

I'll post more if I think of them...but I hope this list has renewed peoples' faith in anime realism a little. Anime hyper

Quote:
I would guess that most Japanese housing designs - whether dorms, apartments, or houses - set in modern day are very realistic

Yes, very much so. Traditional hotels look just like the hot springs ones in anime. I was geeking out so hard when I discovered this. Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
School festival is real. Guys get chocolates in valentine's day.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Groping in metros... I'm lead to believe that's an actual problem there.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm sounding like a total pervert here, but I'm genuinely curious if RL Japanese schoolgirls do wear bloomers in P.E. sessions.

...And, weeell, how about school swimsuit? Do they actually exist?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Groping in metros... I'm lead to believe that's an actual problem there.

I don't doubt it is real but I haven't ever gotten a Japanese woman to admit she had ever been groped. Mexico City on the other hand ...
Bango

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm all of Chiibi's list. The shrine at Dazaifu gave me an almost otherworldly feel with the deep chanting and hitting the drum. And I did see a koi jump. I also saw a turtle. My first time seeing a live turtle, actually.

Speaking of drums, the dudes in fundoshi wailing on a giant drum at festivals. True.

Also, walls. There's walls freakin everywhere.

Those giant parfaits people share are real too. And stupid expensive. The 2nd one on the top is about $40 http://i.imgur.com/X3Qv91D.jpg

Oh, and one I can't believe I forgot. My most magical moment in Japan. Yes, the Tokyo Big Site is indeed absurdly massive. It holding a half a million people seriously wouldn't surprise me. I was there for the Lyrical Party 3 event and the thing blots out the freakin city when you're close to it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Big Site is, indeed, pretty big. I've been there for two Tokyo International Anime Fairs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3