• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uguu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is a promotional event and they want demographic-appropriate optics. It's designed to make sure there aren't a bunch of photos of the Sailor Moon premiere where it's completely flooded with male otaku.

You'll find similar policies at events run by fashion magazines all over the world, but instead of outright stating "no dudes" they simply make it invitation-only and only invite wealthy women, models and their +1s.

It's just business. The PR company is told "we want these optics at the event" and so they make sure the crowd is camera-friendly.

So why not ask the person who posted this article to change the sensationalistic nature of the wording and the headline?

People are getting the idea that this is about having a 'safe space away from molesters' and bringing bronies into it and other assorted nonsense when this isn't even about Sailor Moon but about the organization of the magazine's events.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
I kinda understand why ViVi have done this, as several women on this forum who live in Japan have attended similar events in the past for other franchises have said that they feel a lot more comfortable being around just their own gender.

However, had a shounen magazine held a mens-only event for a male-orientated franchise the same people who applaud ViVi's decision would be outraged. No doubt they'd be wielding their pitchforks and demanding action against such sexism.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
I don't see an issue with this, just get a female friend or acquaintance to attend with you. I've attended parties with the same rule in place and I just let my best friend tag along with me.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
I guess it's a good thing I never cared for SM, then.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
"...Never did get to watch it. <Sailor>"

It's out now uncut and it's actually a REALLY good time to start. Check out the first 4 episodes on Neon Alley. I am a longtime male fan and am very thankful my parents were open minded enough to let me watch the show (although I imagine they were just happy I was watching a show with teenage girls in short skirts in it LOL).

The original manga is amazing too. I haven't really encountered another manga with similar art. Naoko Takeuchi's style is very specific and unique compared to other shoujo titles, at least for the time in 1992.

I have an excuse apparently because I have a 6 year old niece that loves Sailor Moon.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

So why not ask the person who posted this article to change the sensationalistic nature of the wording and the headline?

The article was worded this way because the event announcement was already being misinterpreted in English Sailor Moon fandom, hours earlier, as excluding men entirely. The article quotes the event text almost verbatim to emphasize men can go if accompanied by women, and specifically notes that ViVi is co-hosting the event.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
for god's sake Japan literally categorizes their comics into 'for guys' and 'for girls' in a way that you'd never expect from the west.

Because there are no comics for girls in the west?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
uguu wrote:
for god's sake Japan literally categorizes their comics into 'for guys' and 'for girls' in a way that you'd never expect from the west.

Because there are no comics for girls in the west?

Not that people buy anyway. The sad, sad saga of Amethyst was proof of that.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
This event is taking place in Japan, why is everyone one here forcing western gender politics into the matter? Japan doesn't take part in any of this.

Granted if this in American event enforcing these same policies, I'd understand people attacking people I disagree with politically who would make a stink about it. But opposite would also happen. Take away the woman only thing and who knows, you'd probably have a room where the men/boys outnumber the women/girls. Then you'd probably have some feminist who claims she's a real geek/nerd on her tumblr blog talking about how the men at the event were part of some grand patriarchy conspiracy to keep all the women chained in kitchens making sandwiches for the rest of their lives while linking Jezebel/Mary Sue articles to prove her point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Also women only promotions/events are common in Japan, manga cafes often have them (some go as far as having women's only sections).
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
I wish that me and my girlfriend could attend this event.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Do people even read the article? They're not excluding men, they're stipulating that they be accompanied by a female. Which is their right as the organizers of a private event.

This isn't sexism, fellas. This is capitalism.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that the PR-friendly thing to have done would be to make a subscriber-only event. We can assume most of their reader base is, in fact, female, so doing it that way would give them the desired optic turnout, encourage higher subscription rates, and avoid the misandric undercurrent. Unless subscriptions aren't a big concern for Japanese magazines...

... either way, what we think doesn't matter too much. Japan's gender divide is so much different than the western version, I doubt many over there are batting an eye.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What about transsexuals? Rolling Eyes

Transsexuals are people who fully undergo hormone therapy and get corrective surgery. Unless they felt a need to go digging through all their history to find what sex they were born as, I'd assume they'd be able to get in.
Trypticon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
They can run and promote their event and business any way they please, and I’m actually fine with it.

I just find the rationalization of double standards to be irrevocably disturbing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5