• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cuss Like a Pro With This Handy Guide for Japanese Speakers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some would argue that Americans aren't the most creative in our usage of expletives (our cousins across the Atlantic are a shade better)

Bothersome blinking blooming crikey flip, we have been tarnished by our own unprincipled tongues!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What pray tell was the 'H' word? Certainly not 'Hell', because I find it hard to believe that people still think that word is even remotely on par with the true expletives.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
What pray tell was the 'H' word? Certainly not 'Hell', because I find it hard to believe that people still think that word is even remotely on par with the true expletives.
Pisst! actually it is. but keep it to yourself. Wink

This isn't new. I'm learning Japanese and my Japanese to English to Japanese dictionary has Japanese words and phrases for most of the English cuss vocabulary. and I remember another English language text book that also taught English cuss words and phrases to Japanese using a cute manga loli girl dressed as a US Marine. But whether it be Japanese, or English, desgression is the best part of valor. Wink
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because I remember there was a book similar to this years ago. It was like a funny phrase book for those traveling to Japan. Now if I study this book will I be able to sound like all those guys and gals during the 70's exploitation era?
Actar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
and I remember another English language text book that also taught English cuss words and phrases to Japanese using a cute manga loli girl dressed as a US Marine.

Maritan!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd have to put this link on Jamie Marchi's Bewitched Warriors (her official Facebook fanpage) because this is similar to how the Panty and Stocking dub is loaded with cussing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think I'd have to put this link on Jamie Marchi's Bewitched Warriors (her official Facebook fanpage) because this is similar to how the Panty and Stocking dub is loaded with cussing.
Yeah, but I get the feeling that all of that was just embellishment garnished to "spice it up" on our side with Panty & Stocking, just like with Black Lagoon and Deadman Wonderland. Wink I'm not saying that the Japanese language track didn't have their brand of swearing, just that unless one is that fluent one would never really know.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Is it strange that I find the random Woody Allen cartoon the most hilarious thing about that book?

Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah, but I get the feeling that all of that was just embellishment garnished to "spice it up" on our side with Panty & Stocking, just like with Black Lagoon and Deadman Wonderland. Wink I'm not saying that the Japanese language track didn't have their brand of swearing, just that unless one is that fluent one would never really know.

If memory serves, Black Lagoon has Megumi Toyoguchi dropping her fair share of "fakkus" in the Japanese audio.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:

If memory serves, Black Lagoon has Megumi Toyoguchi dropping her fair share of "fakkus" in the Japanese audio.
Yeah, but that's just Engrish.
Seiru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I got that third one wrong and I couldn't even guess that fourth one without looking. Laughing
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:

Yeah, but that's just Engrish.

The pronunciation might be Engrish, but it's still genuine lines of English swearing.
In terms of the Japanese dialogue, they speak very roughly and disrespectfully to each other; there's no "swearing" as such in the Japanese language.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Apparently Americans do.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
Any serious learners of foreign language always start with the cuss words first - so ya know what to say to someone who pissed ya off, and ya know to punch the one who says it to you! Laughing

Then of course, there's the old classic from the 90s:

"How to Use the Word F---"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1