• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Flame of Recca TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Is this one of those longer anime series that didn't cover the whole manga and was left with an open end? I've heard good things, but always am concerned when a series is this long and it didn't cover the entire story of the manga.

Also, the manga worth checking out?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
mdo: Viz has no reason to rescue Recca, since it did so poorly through singles. But they can still make money re-releasing the manga in omnibuses around the same time.

Ali: It wraps up the arc, but that's about it. There's allegedly an OAV which 'ends' the series, but DT probably didn't get it. I do hope they're listening to my suggestion to crowdfund more episodes, though.
BlackHowling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this is getting rescued, I've been wanting a box set version so that I can sell the original Viz release (11 DVDs take up a lot of shelf space).

Engineering Nerd wrote:
I only read the manga (both Japanese and English version), I am kinda curious though: did the anime version censor any rude/not-so-mild language that was abundant in manga? (I am OK either way Anime hyper)

Speaking for the sub version, language and occasional nudity are present in the anime, although there aren't as many band or game references (the characters wear a lot of band clothing in the manga).

Ali07 wrote:
Is this one of those longer anime series that didn't cover the whole manga and was left with an open end? I've heard good things, but always am concerned when a series is this long and it didn't cover the entire story of the manga.

The 42-episode anime series covers the first 16 volumes (of 33); there were two video games ("Flame of Recca - The Game" for GBA and "Flame of Recca ~ Final Burning" for PS2) that both adapted the second half of the manga. The anime wraps up a major story arc, but this is one of many late 90's shows where people kept asking about a second series that never happened.

If you like shounen martial arts action series (from Shounen Sunday or Shounen Jump) then this series has memorable characters and excellent fight scenes. Zac does not recommend it on the ANN podcast (no hard feelings Zac), but if you like the genre then definitely give it a try.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
I hope they'll license rescue Project Arms.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I only read the manga (both Japanese and English version), I am kinda curious though: did the anime version censor any rude/not-so-mild language that was abundant in manga? (I am OK either way Anime hyper)

Yeah, they did in a few instances (but I didn't watch the whole series). If not completely changed, they replaced a really bad word with a toned-down one.

I'm surprised Viz even left the bad words in the manga without changing them.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
This is one of those titles that I've heard of but never got round to watching. It sounds interesting enough so I'll probably end up buying it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
I remember this series being talked about with Yu Yu Hakusho.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Its nice what discotek is doing, but how about getting some shows that we never got, or at least never completed. Mar ended with only 4 vols here, Shaman King only got 2 dvds, how about something like Yakitate Japan, or finishing Kodomo no Omocha.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ali: It wraps up the arc, but that's about it. There's allegedly an OAV which 'ends' the series, but DT probably didn't get it. I do hope they're listening to my suggestion to crowdfund more episodes, though.

Ah, okay. Sound like it may have a better ending then some. May check this out, thanks!

BlackHowling wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

The 42-episode anime series covers the first 16 volumes (of 33); there were two video games ("Flame of Recca - The Game" for GBA and "Flame of Recca ~ Final Burning" for PS2) that both adapted the second half of the manga. The anime wraps up a major story arc, but this is one of many late 90's shows where people kept asking about a second series that never happened.

If you like shounen martial arts action series (from Shounen Sunday or Shounen Jump) then this series has memorable characters and excellent fight scenes. Zac does not recommend it on the ANN podcast (no hard feelings Zac), but if you like the genre then definitely give it a try.

Thanks for that info! I'm a fan of the genre, so may just jump into this one.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
I hope this anime gets an HD remaster. I'd like to revisit it but all the FOR videos online are very bad in quality, it ruins the viewing experience.

And while you're at it, get Gundam and To Heart!!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mdo: Viz has no reason to rescue Recca, since it did so poorly through singles. But they can still make money re-releasing the manga in omnibuses around the same time.

Ah. so that explain why Viz didn't re-license the anime, I see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Crown: If Mar actually did well, I'm sure DT would have an incentive to rescue it. I do agree that DT should try to rescue more 4K**Ts titles, though. Assuming 4K**Ts is not still sitting on 'em, of course.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. What the hell? Flame of Recca of all things? No one is going to buy this.

I actually got the entire line of single volumes of Viz's release for like $15 a few years ago. I've actually never watched them. I've seen part of the show from old VHS fansubs, though. That was even longer ago, ha.

The animation is completely terrible and hard to stomach and it really just feels like a bad Yu Yu Hakusho ripoff. But I think the manga is held in quite a higher regard. Oh well.

Hikaru Midorikawa voiced Tokiya so that's a plus at least.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote
Graceful:
Quote:
Flame of Recca of all things? No one is going to buy this.

Disagree. It's got nostalgia value, and it still holds up, animation-wise.

Quote:
The animation is completely terrible and hard to stomach and it really just feels like a bad Yu Yu Hakusho ripoff.

Not sure in what way is the animation terrible. As for it being derivative of a more well-known series, I think that argument became moot when people gave Fairy Tail a pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2