• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
An excellent series gets an excellent thread.

selenta wrote:
I honestly can not understand why incest is such a delicate topic for some people; It's only a truly harmful thing genetically if it occurs over many generations, and kids don't magically have 3 legs or down syndrome when someone has kids with their cousin or sibling. I've come to accept it because I realized that to not accept it is blind ignorance and social brainwashing (I mean that in a very literal sense) based on superstitions from ages long past.

When you say you've come to accept it, does “it” refer to...

1.Media that simply portrays it?
2.The fact that it happens in real life?
3.The idea that nothing is wrong with it?

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I avoided this series until the recent Geneon sale.

Same here. Your post was spot-on with my views as well. You've also reminded me that I'm still waiting on the Takahashi Anthology. Sad

Cloe wrote:
What I love is, in SPITE of all that, I was still rooting for Koshiro and Nanoka with all my heart.

I felt pretty much the opposite; the more the show went on the less I wanted to see them hook up. I mean, have you ever seen one of those cheesy Hollywood romantic comedies where one of the targets simply just does not seem to 'get it' or just refuses to accept it or is such a complete jerk that they simply don't deserve the affection they're shown? Well, that's pretty much sums up how I felt about the relationship portrayed in Koi Kaze. spoiler[The brother was a real jerk, maybe asshole is a better term, and this is even without the whole incestuous lolicon aspect being considered. In a nutshell, I didn't think he was either capable of handling the relationship or worthy of receiving his sister's affections. I also felt that the way he handled himself during the series was proof positive that something bad was bound to happen down the road. Having them get together only ensured that they would eventually face even tougher times ahead. My concern for the sister and pity toward the brother precluded me from rooting for a relationship that could potentially see them harming each other or committing suicide.]

Cloe wrote:
When Koshiro's friend (can't remember her name, gah) spoiler[called him sick and perverted] I wanted to intercede and yell "Nooooo! It's not like that, you just don't understand!" It's an amazing series that can draw me in so successfully. They never let you forget it's a taboo romance, but in the end you just don't care. Love conquers all.

Although I can't agree with you, that comment had me laughing out loud nonetheless.

IvoryBirch wrote:
The premise could easily have led to lots fanservice and/or smut, but (thankfully) the show handled its subject matter beautifully.

Lots of good points in your post and, like you, even though I really enjoyed such an unusual level of frank and compelling story telling I still find it hard to recommend this title unsolicited.

HellKorn wrote:
Do I accept Koi Kaze? Anyway, as far as incest goes, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't flow that way but can easily respect the people that do so as long no babies are produced as a result.

I'm not really sure what to say to that. I mean, you are aware that 99% of the world apparently disagrees with you, at least in public? What about a parent and child? Is that really perfectly okay and respectable to you as well? Is incest okay even when it involves an adult with a child?

Richard J. wrote:
Personally, Koi Kaze struck me as one of the strongest and most emotional series I'd ever seen. The idea of incest doesn't bother me all that much, although I'm not exactly comfortable with it outside of a fictional setting. As long as it isn't forced (in other words, rape) then I can't really get that worked up. I don't get it myself. I'm not attracted to my sister at all. However, I could understand how in real life someone could be attracted to their sibling, especially if they were in the same situation as the characters in Koi Kaze.

I don't have a sister myself, but I once had a cousin who appeared to be somewhat gaga over me. Even that was enough to make me want to avoid her once I realized what was going on. Maybe if I had been the one who got the crush I would feel differently now.

Richard J. wrote:
To me, rape is more sickening than murder.

Really? Why?

Richard J. wrote:
I would never reject a person for having incestuous desires or having acted upon them. I try to be very open and receptive to everyone who has not actively tried to destroy someone's life, innocence, sense of security, etc.

How does acting upon incestuous desires not “destroy someone's life, innocence, sense of security, etc?” I mean, a brother and sister of a similar age is one thing but when their ages are vastly different or when you're talking about a parent and child you're talking about an inherent betrayal of trust.

Animefreak6969 wrote:
I have absolutely no problem with the incest in anything like Koi kaze or Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru Kono Koi wa Himitsu , that was pretty good too however totally contradicting at many points, anyway I have no problem with anything as long as it makes for a good show or story or at LEAST slightly intertaining in whatever way it will be.

No problem with anything eh? Ugg.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How does acting upon incestuous desires not “destroy someone's life, innocence, sense of security, etc?” I mean, a brother and sister of a similar age is one thing but when their ages are vastly different or when you're talking about a parent and child you're talking about an inherent betrayal of trust.

Did you actually pay attention to the show? The two were utterly miserable when apart, I don't know about you but I would never give up love for the sake of propriety. Regardless of the dynamic, the idea is that only the people directly involved can decide what makes them happy.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Same here. Your post was spot-on with my views as well. You've also reminded me that I'm still waiting on the Takahashi Anthology.

Ah, now you and I are the other way around. I just got RTA while I'm waiting on KK.
I'm interested to see how this story turns out, how these two have to deal with their inner feelings towards each other and the surrounding environment. When you see it be sure to let me know what you thought of it through the public lists.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
I watched the series about about a year ago and it was really good. As to the issues of incest portrayed in the series it's something to me that is definitely disturbing. However, at the same time I believe that a person should always follow their feelings and you can't really help who you fall in love with whether it's someone of the oposite or same sex so it's not much of stretch to accept another type of relationship as well. I, as strait guy will do what I want with my life, and who am I to deny that to others or ridicule them for being different than I am?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
When you say you've come to accept it, does “it” refer to...

1.Media that simply portrays it?
2.The fact that it happens in real life?
3.The idea that nothing is wrong with it?

Number 3. There's only two differences between having a relationship with a relative, and having a relationship with a stranger. One, is how you personally feel about the concept. Two, is that there is a marginally higher chance of expressing a recessive gene with family members. If your family has a history of Alzheimers or something, then having kids with your sibling would give your kids a slightly higher chance of inhereting it than if you were to have kids with someone else.

The odds are actually quite small for most things, I think I heard one time that your kid is about 10 percent on average more likely to inherit a genetic disease or flaw than if you had had kids with a stranger. Considering the risk is already relatively small (though large enough to be ever present in parents minds), that increase really isn't that bad. It can basically be ignored in most cases; however, if you have a seriously dangerous genetic disease that is present in several of your immediate family members, then there are good odds that both you and your sibling inherited the recessive gene and having kids would put your kids at serious risk for the disease. To put it simply, and even if my number is off by a little the point is still valid, the biggest problems with incest are how the people feel about it personally, and if it happens repeatedly over generations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
To me, rape is more sickening than murder.

Really? Why?
When a person's life ends, so does their suffering. A person left alive after rape suffers for the rest of their lives. It doesn't matter how much therapy they have or how far they can bury the event in the back of their heads. It's always a factor in their lives afterward. It never goes away.

Also, I view sex as an expression of love, so I view rape as an assualt not merely on a person's body and mind, but also upon one of the most important of human feelings. (Sounds a little odd, but that's just my view.)
daxomni wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
I would never reject a person for having incestuous desires or having acted upon them. I try to be very open and receptive to everyone who has not actively tried to destroy someone's life, innocence, sense of security, etc.

This would have to be reviewed on a case by case basis. I should have made myself clearer. Speaking strictly in terms of the scenario in Koi Kaze, I wouldn't want to cast someone out of society just for this. Depending on the age factors, it's possible to accept a parent/child situation, though typically such situations are clearly not even remotely right.

Most real world instances are between fathers/step-fathers and daughters/step-daughters who are not even close to a consenting age and generally the girl is not even remotely happy about it. Again, it's an issue of consensual sex verses rape.

Like I said before, I wouldn't exactly congratulate someone for incest, but I wouldn't just write them off as a human either.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
When a person's life ends, so does their suffering. A person left alive after rape suffers for the rest of their lives.

Your point of view can be easily interpreted as

1. A rapist-murderer is more merciful than a rapist, because the former ends victim's suffering. I wish you didn't really think that way. Rolling Eyes

2. Victims of rape could end their suffering by either ending their own lives or hide the fact and pretent as if they had never been raped. Similar thoughts have created additional victims because the criminal is still at large.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
This would have to be reviewed on a case by case basis. I should have made myself clearer. Speaking strictly in terms of the scenario in Koi Kaze, I wouldn't want to cast someone out of society just for this. Depending on the age factors, it's possible to accept a parent/child situation, though typically such situations are clearly not even remotely right.

For the record, the difference in age between parents and siblings, is sometimes less than the difference between husband and spouse. One of my best friends is 22, his father is 56. His father remarried last year to a 26 year-old cheerleading teacher. Needless to say, the fact that his wife isn't even as old as the age difference between them should tell you that "love has no boundary~!" ......or something philosophical like that. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
This whole post is one big spoiler. Consider yourself warned.

Pleroma wrote:
Did you actually pay attention to the show? The two were utterly miserable when apart, I don't know about you but I would never give up love for the sake of propriety. Regardless of the dynamic, the idea is that only the people directly involved can decide what makes them happy.

At the beginning of the show, before anything had happened between them, the brother was merely coasting through life. He didn't appear to be any more miserable than anyone else who had just broken up. Fact of life. We've all been dumped (well, most of us), and you simply learn to move on. There's nothing unusual about that. So he 'moves on' by taking a complete stranger on a funny sort of impromptu 'date'. Only, she's a little girl so the 'date' means different things to them based on their vastly different perspectives.

Even so, this seems to be okay with him and he appears to be able to express himself around her in ways he normally can't. You get the feeling that he's perfectly okay with robbing the cradle except, of course, that this just happens to be some sort of animated Twilight Zone and he's unknowingly robbing his forgotten sister's cradle. In other words, the guy's already a little sick in the head. He doesn't seem to enjoy the company of women his own age but little girls apparently bring out his softer side. The one and only thing he can't seem stomach (at first) is the fact that it's his sister. If it weren't for that, he'd probably have been plenty happy to have somebody else's little kid sister in his arms.

Now, the sister was already very happy and excited just to finally be around the brother she had a crush on when she first arrives. If he had even just been a regular big brother to her she would have probably been ecstatic. If only he had kindly let her know that he was unwilling to let it go any farther than just a simple crush and gave her some space without being a jerk about it, she would have probably been able to find another boy her age to get all crazy over. It's not like the brother was the only male in her life after all, and it wasn't until he started treating her like shit and making a fuss about her being around other boys before she became miserable. The fact that she was willing to stick around and take such abuse without losing faith in her sick, abusive brother doesn't bode well for her own mental state either.

I don't really dispute that the brother might remain miserable in his sad, worthless life, but who knows, maybe a few months of no contact would get him back into the swing of things with women his own age. It's not like he didn't have a ready supply of eligible women to talk with on any given day. If not, at least he wouldn't be stunting the development of his own kid sister.

In the end, even though the story was really engrossing and even though it gave me more to think about than most series do, I still do not agree that the end justified the means. This relationship is still potentially troubled on so many levels. Age difference, family relation, verbal and physical abuse, pseudo-masochism, and an unnatural level of secrecy just to name a few. The idea that the end was intended to represent some sort of 'happily ever after' is incredibly naïve in my opinion. The sister could have been happy without taking her crush to it's ultimate possible conclusion, just like any other girl. The idea that here brother was the only possible man for her just doesn't match what I believe or what I saw on the screen.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
Interesting thought: Imagine a live-action portrayal of this story, with, say, Hayden Christensen and Dakota Fanning as the siblings.
I would recommend the show, (I just made a post in Bamboo's column btw) but for you guys saying that the real thing wouldn't bother you, I have to wonder if you would feel the same if this show had been live-action.

I think that anime has the ability to present believable accounts of subjects and topics that live-action just couldn't pull off, and this series is an example of that.
I saw the series as exploring lonliness and rejection, and what would you do to keep a love you had found.
I didn't think the brother was a jerk at all, but that he was definitely depressed, and depression can make you desperate to find a love to lessen the pain (as well as irritable). I think that the sister was a classic rebound relationship, and I share daxomni's feeling that it wouldn't have lasted.
As for the sister, I never could really figure out why she fell for him so much, though the link to the ANN trivia posted in Bamboo's thread might explain some of it. The center of the story was the brother, though, so I guess it's understandable if the sister turned out to be a little 2-D (no pun intended).
I sympathized with both characters, but unlike Cloe I felt that this was the type of relationship which would ultimately cause both of them a lot of pain, regardless of whether or not they were siblings, so I wasn't rooting for them to stay together.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
As for the sister, I never could really figure out why she fell for him so much, though the link to the ANN trivia posted in Bamboo's thread might explain some of it.

Wonder who wrote that trivia. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
I have heard about this anime and it caught my interest but right now I am quite busy with other anime. However I have heard about what it is all about and as far as the brother sister falling in love.........it does not bother me.

Sorry no comas on this friggin mac keyboard I am using.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the beginning of the show, before anything had happened between them, the brother was merely coasting through life. He didn't appear to be any more miserable than anyone else who had just broken up. Fact of life. We've all been dumped (well, most of us), and you simply learn to move on. There's nothing unusual about that. So he 'moves on' by taking a complete stranger on a funny sort of impromptu 'date'. Only, she's a little girl so the 'date' means different things to them based on their vastly different perspectives.

Ehmm, he didn't think of it as a "date" he was just still confused over the breakup and not really paying much atention to the situation, Nanoka simply happens to be there at a crucial time and in a similar mood and he opens up to her. At this point there is nothing remotely sexual in the relationship, people can open up to others in sudden ways you know?

Quote:
Even so, this seems to be okay with him and he appears to be able to express himself around her in ways he normally can't. You get the feeling that he's perfectly okay with robbing the cradle except, of course, that this just happens to be some sort of animated Twilight Zone and he's unknowingly robbing his forgotten sister's cradle. In other words, the guy's already a little sick in the head. He doesn't seem to enjoy the company of women his own age but little girls apparently bring out his softer side. The one and only thing he can't seem stomach (at first) is the fact that it's his sister. If it weren't for that, he'd probably have been plenty happy to have somebody else's little kid sister in his arms.

Bullshit, this isn't about "little girls" having an effect of him, but about this very particular person doing so. Her age is not the factor, her personality is. The reason he was never very happy with his ex is also not because of her age, but her personality and his overal plain and uneventful life.

Quote:
Now, the sister was already very happy and excited just to finally be around the brother she had a crush on when she first arrives. If he had even just been a regular big brother to her she would have probably been ecstatic. If only he had kindly let her know that he was unwilling to let it go any farther than just a simple crush and gave her some space without being a jerk about it, she would have probably been able to find another boy her age to get all crazy over. It's not like the brother was the only male in her life after all, and it wasn't until he started treating her like shit and making a fuss about her being around other boys before she became miserable. The fact that she was willing to stick around and take such abuse without losing faith in her sick, abusive brother doesn't bode well for her own mental state either.

How the hell is he abusive?? He tried being nice and she got more atached, then he tried being a jerk and it just her her feelings wich in turn hurt him. Even when he comes to some sort of typical brother role near the end of the show a person cannot just magically turn off feelings for someone, sorry, doen't work that way. Also, while she liked him as a brother its pretty clear there was abit more to it, not infatuation, but her interest in other boys just wasn't quite there and it was obvious a plain sibling relationship felt incomplete.

Quote:
I don't really dispute that the brother might remain miserable in his sad, worthless life, but who knows, maybe a few months of no contact would get him back into the swing of things with women his own age. It's not like he didn't have a ready supply of eligible women to talk with on any given day. If not, at least he wouldn't be stunting the development of his own kid sister.

Oh shut up, he was quite ready to accept a miserable life he didn't deserve but SHE pursued HIM. It would have been the pinacle of cruelty for him to reject her as it would have brokem her heart and driven him into even deeper depression.

Quote:
In the end, even though the story was really engrossing and even though it gave me more to think about than most series do, I still do not agree that the end justified the means. This relationship is still potentially troubled on so many levels. Age difference, family relation, verbal and physical abuse, pseudo-masochism, and an unnatural level of secrecy just to name a few. The idea that the end was intended to represent some sort of 'happily ever after' is incredibly naïve in my opinion. The sister could have been happy without taking her crush to it's ultimate possible conclusion, just like any other girl. The idea that here brother was the only possible man for her just doesn't match what I believe or what I saw on the screen.

There is absolutely no abuse here, I have no idea what the hell were you watching but it wasn't Koi Kaze. Nobody said things would be easy for them, but they owed it to themselves and their happyness to try and make it work. Life is quite meaningless if one only picks the easy options.
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Bullshit...Oh shut up...I have no idea what the hell were you watching

Well, no need to reply to your post then. Come back when you've had a chance to calm down.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No problem with anything eh? Ugg

nope, no problem with anything
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8