• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
mushino wrote:
Steve Berry wrote:
As for this statement
mushino wrote:
Incest has a basis in genetic sexual attraction. But scientists recently discovered that people are least likely to mate with or marry with the people they grew up with. This is not only to do with families, but also in communes and kibbutz where nonrelated people are close as children.

it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Can you explain yourself further?? Are you saying that incest happens because we are attracted to those of us who share similar genetic makeup? Or are you talking about not wanting to have relationships with those we are really close to emotionally? I'm just not really sure what you're trying to say. Do these sentences have an arguement binding them together that I'm just not seeing? I don't want to get into an arguement or anything-- I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction

All life is most attracted to reproducing with like members, that is how anything evolve, because it allows species to branch off easily.

In nature, the thing keeping brother/sister from breeding is the Westermarck effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29#Westermarck_effect

Notice the Westermarck effect extend beyond relations and can effect your impression of anybody you grew up closely with. This has been scientifically studied in communes/kibbutzes where children growing up closely together rarely marry or even date once they are of age. In any case, the westermarck effect rendered useless in Koi Kaze by the seperation of Koshiro and Nanoka early in their lives.

excellent discovery and research. a good add to the thread that isnt bickering.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
mushino wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction

All life is most attracted to reproducing with like members, that is how anything evolve, because it allows species to branch off easily.

In nature, the thing keeping brother/sister from breeding is the Westermarck effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29#Westermarck_effect

Notice the Westermarck effect extend beyond relations and can effect your impression of anybody you grew up closely with. This has been scientifically studied in communes/kibbutzes where children growing up closely together rarely marry or even date once they are of age. In any case, the westermarck effect rendered useless in Koi Kaze by the seperation of Koshiro and Nanoka early in their lives.

These are interesting links Mushino-- both of these subjects were brought up in the previous thread on incest in anime (last year??) that I linked to earlier in this thread, although not with these informative wikipedia pages. Thanks for posting them.

Still-- I wasn't really sure what your point was. You didn't really give an opinion-- as the two links obviously contradict each other. I assume you are saying that incest is genetically motivated (as per GSA), and that the Westermark affect doesn't apply in Koi Kaze because they didn't grow up with each other (much like the examples seen in the GSA link, about adopted children finding their genetic families). Which is fine-- although I don't know how that directly related to the discussion..... Are you saying that incest like this is ok because it's genetically movtivated, and therefore natural? Or something else??

Besides that, one of the intersting things about the GSA link, is that it seems like it never directly says that incest in these situations in tied to genetics-- it's more a simple kind of label for the phenomenom. I mean, many people date people who look and act like their parents, but that doesn't mean to me that people are somehow secretly attracted to their parents. It just means that we are attracted to models of acting and looks that we can relate to and know how to deal with. I dunno-- the link was intersting, but rather ambiguous to me. I guess I couldn't really see what you were trying to say.

Perhaps you were just providing data for the conversation, without really giving an opinion or trying to make a point?

On a different note--
hentai4me wrote:
How can you really control your desires though? If you really do love your sister/brother/cousin in a sexual sense then there's not really much you can do about it is there?

This seems odd to me, although the rest of your arguements have made sense. I mean-- people have all sorts of sexual urges all the time that they don't act on. Guys find chicks hot all the time, but most of them know they aren't supposed to feel them up, and act accordingly. You might find the best friend of your girlfriend hot, but you don't do anything about it because you dont' want to f*ck up your relationship. You might be attracted to a woman who is 17, finding her very interesting and attractive, but most guys let that fall by the wayside because the penalties are too big of a deal to want to go there. Perhaps I'm mis-reading you, or you're trying to say something different, but your statement didn't seem that true to me. What are you getting at here??
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
excellent discovery and research. a good add to the thread that isnt bickering.

Steve Berry wrote:
These are interesting links Mushino-- both of these subjects were brought up in the previous thread on incest in anime (last year??) that I linked to earlier in this thread, although not with these informative wikipedia pages. Thanks for posting them.

Being the author of the only trivia in Koi Kaze's entry, I have to admit that I'm quite sensitive to the credit and authorship issue. Rolling Eyes

Like I have mentioned in one of the earliest discussions about Koi Kaze, I happened to have a scientific article about it:

Quote:
J Exp Child Psychol. 2003 Jul;85(3):279-95.

Possible olfaction-based mechanisms in human kin recognition and inbreeding avoidance.

Weisfeld GE, Czilli T, Phillips KA, Gall JA, Lichtman CM.

Department of Psychology, Wayne State University, 71 W. Warren, Detroit, MI 48201, USA. [email protected]

Three studies explored kin recognition through olfaction. In Study I, adults (N=22) were tested for ability to identify the odors of themselves; their mother; their father; a sister; a brother; a familiar, unrelated individual; and a stranger. Acquaintances were identified as accurately as biological kin, implicating an association mechanism. However, biological kin were often confused, implicating phenotypic matching. Same-sex kin were confused more than opposite-sex kin, but mainly when same-sex kin had odors of similar intensity. Study II implicated phenotypic matching. Mothers (N=18) could identify their biological children but not their stepchildren. The preadolescent children (N=37) identified their full siblings but not half-siblings or stepsiblings. Thus, olfactory cues may help mediate favoritism of blood relatives. In Study III, mutual olfactory aversion occurred only in the father-daughter and brother-sister nuclear family relationships. Recognition occurred between opposite-sex siblings but not same-sex siblings. Thus, olfaction may help mediate the development of incest avoidance during childhood (the Westermarck effect).

There are other articles look interesting but I have no access to them:

Quote:
Psychoanal Q. 1999 Jul;68(3):347-75.

Oedipus, Darwin, and Freud: one big, happy family?

Morehead D.

The author reviews recent sociobiological and psychoanalytic literature relevant to sexual aspects of the male Oedipus complex. Sociobiological discussions of incest and incest avoidance frequently contrast Freud's Oedipus complex with the Westermarck hypothesis. Westermarck argued that children who grow up in close association are averse to sex with each other as adults. Human and animal evidence supports the Westermarck hypothesis, and sociobiologically oriented writers have argued that it contradicts Freud's oedipal notion of an early incestuous sexual interest. However, two additional lines of evidence are relevant to such discussions. First, recent analytic theory on the Oedipus complex does not require the existence of a central, powerful, incestuous sexual drive. Second, both oedipal and sociobiological theory suggest that early familial experience forms a model for adult sexual mate choice and establishes patterns of adult sexual relationships. In these instances, sociobiological understandings of early development correspond well to oedipal theory.

Quote:
Evol Hum Behav. 2000 May 1;21(3):151-161.

Early separation and sibling incest. A test of the revised Westermarck theory.

Bevc I I, Silverman I I.

Department of Psychology, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This was a follow-up study of earlier reported findings by the present investigators suggesting, albeit equivocally, that separation during early childhood inhibited later sexual acts of a potentially procreative nature between siblings but did not deter other sexual activity. The present study surveyed 170 subjects, mostly in the Toronto area, by telephone and mail. Respondents reporting potentially procreative, postchildhood sexual acts (attempted or completed genital intercourse) with siblings were compared with those reporting sexual relationships excluding procreative acts, and a third sample reporting no postchildhood sibling sexual behavior. Consonant with expectations from the earlier study, prolonged separation during early childhood was associated with procreative postchildhood sexual activity but not with other postchildhood sexual activity. Contrary to predictions, however, both sexual activity groups reported significantly more nudity and physical contact with siblings during childhood than subjects reporting no sexual activity. The findings are discussed in terms of a revised version of the Westermarck hypothesis, which is consistent with a domain-specific approach to evolved incest avoidance mechanisms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:

On a different note--
hentai4me wrote:
How can you really control your desires though? If you really do love your sister/brother/cousin in a sexual sense then there's not really much you can do about it is there?

This seems odd to me, although the rest of your arguements have made sense. I mean-- people have all sorts of sexual urges all the time that they don't act on. Guys find chicks hot all the time, but most of them know they aren't supposed to feel them up, and act accordingly. You might find the best friend of your girlfriend hot, but you don't do anything about it because you don't' want to f*ck up your relationship. You might be attracted to a woman who is 17, finding her very interesting and attractive, but most guys let that fall by the wayside because the penalties are too big of a deal to want to go there. Perhaps I'm mis-reading you, or you're trying to say something different, but your statement didn't seem that true to me. What are you getting at here??

I was simply saying that you can't really make yourself find something unnatractive if you find it attractive. Say for example you find blondes/brunettes/etc women/men attractive...it's pretty much impossible to convince yourself that you. I didn't mean that just cause you find something attractive you have to act upon it, I was just saying that you can't really change what you find attractive through a concious effort. Perhaps over time with exposure you may/may not find something attractive but you can't just decide right now that you find X un/attractive and feel that way.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Just because you can't erase your desires doesn't mean you can't control them. Hopefully this was just a poor choice of words on your part.

hentai4me wrote:
I think we agree in a general sense on most issues like this. Maybe not this one specifically but we do at least understand where we each come from, no?

I think so. You seem to see my side of it and I think I understand where you're coming from. Of course, if you have some website somewhere where you espouse upon the finer points of incest and loli-love, please don't bring it up here. Wink
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Just because you can't erase your desires doesn't mean you can't control them. Hopefully this was just a poor choice of words on your part.

yes poor choice of words, you can't consciously change what you find attractive. At least not immediately. But you don't have to act on them.

hentai4me wrote:
I think we agree in a general sense on most issues like this. Maybe not this one specifically but we do at least understand where we each come from, no?

I think so. You seem to see my side of it and I think I understand where you're coming from. Of course, if you have some website somewhere where you espouse upon the finer points of incest and loli-love, please don't bring it up here. Wink[/quote]

Ha! If I knew how to make a website it wouldn't be on that...
m00nshine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
The artwork was good but I found the main character (male lead) to be very boring. The story also seemed like it moved very slowly. It was slightly disturbing but I tend to like those kind of things. However, I can not really reccomend this to anyone unless they are running out of anime options. I rated it a good or a decent (can't remember and too lazy to look it up) but it was just too slow paced for my tastes.
Nomigid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I just finished "Koi Kaze", these are my thoughts on it.
At first I thought this is cute, thenspoiler[I found out they are brother and sister], then I thought this so just so wrong.
This anime disturbed me more than any anime since "Now and Then, Here and There".
The reasons their relationship is wrong isspoiler[They are brother and sister, she is in junior high school(which would make her about 11 to 13), and the age difference between them( 12 years).]
I had to pause the show a few times to take in what had just happened or what was about to happen.
I even thought about not watching the rest of the series.
It was like a train wreck, you should look away, but you can not look away.
By the end of the show, I knew their love was real and I hoped everything would work out for them!
Does love conquer all?
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
i dont care what the hell anyone says, its mother****ing nasty.

i wonder if the japanese play banjos?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Nomigid wrote:
This anime disturbed me more than any anime since "Now and Then, Here and There".

Two of the best titles out there, though.

Nomigid wrote:
spoiler[she is in junior high school(which would make her about 11 to 13)]

You didn't pay enough attention to the show, did you? Remember what was the reason she has to move in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nomigid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that,"she is in her first year of high school, she is fifteen years old".
She is living with the Father and Brother to "save her a two hour comute".
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
I pretty much agree with you about the "I'm down with incest" type of attitude having some issues. To watch KK and say that incest is ok if you're both consentual is a joke. This show isn't representative of 99.99% of all sibling relationships. Until someone is able to give that retort, they should just say that they like Koi Kaze, think it's a shame their siblings, think they should or shouldn't be together anyways because of their extenuating (spelling?) circumstances, and leave it at that. It's a little aggravating when people such as myself go through all the trouble of actually trying to engage in a real, honest, civil conversation about a subject as complicated and taboo as incest, giving examples and a detailed analysis of why we think incest is generally not a very good idea, and then we are ignored.

Many anime fans are hopeless romanatic rather. BTW, I agree with your post given their situation as I'm more of a realist. I'm more concern with the age presented in this anime. He's 27, she's a 15 year old girl, so it's not like they're the same age. And I dont' think 12 year is much of an issue if she was like 20 and he was 32, but to me at 15 year old she's still a young girl.

I have a 15 year old sister myself and if she's dating a 27 year old guy, I'm gonna beat his pathetic ass. I just hear too many horror story of older creepy guys taking advantage of younger girls...... especially older guys who drive nice fancy cars and lure younger naive middle school girls.

On the subject of Koi Kaze, given their situation, it was handle in a sensible manner.

hentai4me wrote:

I wouldn't call it desire since it is more like a crush. Have you ever had a crush on someone before? I'm sure everyone does at one point in their life. You might have sexual fantasy about them, but you can control your desire, and you can definitely move on. If you can't control your desire and need to act upon them, than you seriously need to seek help.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

hentai4me wrote:

I wouldn't call it desire since it is more like a crush. Have you ever had a crush on someone before? I'm sure everyone does at one point in their life. You might have sexual fantasy about them, but you can control your desire, and you can definitely move on. If you can't control your desire and need to act upon them, than you seriously need to seek help.

This point is itself a bit of a digression, I am not talking about specific circumstances but in general.

You have a crush on someone...what if that crush turns out to be on something illicit such as your younger brother/sister? Regardless of wether you act on your crush is not what I am talking about. What I mean is that you can't for sure decide right now that no matter what you will NEVER find a sibling/child/etc attractive. Wether or not you act upon the feeling (fleeting or otherwise) is irrelevant, you can't for sure control your future feelings...you can control how you act upon them though...perhaps I should have included that in there.

Originally it was a reply to Daxomni saying that people who are deviants and who don't find non deviant behaviour atractive are backing themselves into a corner and will either live unfulfilled lives for not acting on their urges or will feel guilt for acting on them(potentially).

I meant to get across that while someone may back themselves into a corner and be unfulfilled or guilty they can't really go out and decide to not find children/siblings/etc attractive and to find other things attractive when they werent before. True with time and exposure almost anything can become attractive but you can't change the fact that they did find X/Y/Z attractive in the first place.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I'm more concern with the age presented in this anime. He's 27, she's a 15 year old girl, so it's not like they're the same age. And I don't' think 12 year is much of an issue if she was like 20 and he was 32, but to me at 15 year old she's still a young girl.

I strongly agree with you on this and I'm somewhat heartened to see my views aren't completely unique among this crowd. I don't have any siblings but I can still remember what I was like at the age of fifteen, and I was certainly no adult. I've also had a few bizarre experiences that helped show me how creepy substantial age gaps and close relations with relatives can be.

darkhunter wrote:
I have a 15 year old sister myself and if she's dating a 27 year old guy, I'm gonna beat his pathetic ass. I just hear too many horror story of older creepy guys taking advantage of younger girls...... especially older guys who drive nice fancy cars and lure younger naive middle school girls.

I think a number of hard-core anime fans suffer from a profound lack of life experience and thus have a somewhat distorted view of what constitutes a healthy relationship and what does not. Over time I've come to realize that these are not people who have any desire to do harm, but they are nonetheless a treat to themselves and others if they remain indifferent toward their own desires and the impact they could have if acted upon.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Some observation.

Koshiro has an unhealthy addiction to young girl, it just so happen the girl he flirt with at first happen to be his sister. His unhealthy addiction is one of the central theme in the anime. He sniff her underwear, masturbate to her at night, and get jealous when she's with another guy. All the drama in the anime is cause by his unhealthy addiction.

Nanoka is drawn to be much younger her actual age. She's essentiall a little kid in the anime. 4'5, 70 LB, flat chested, innocent and naive. Koshia though is like a full grown adult, he seem like he's 6Feet, 200LB, with a beard. I don't know about you, but it's pretty damn creepy.

Brother/sister relationship is definitely look down upon by society and it's reinfored throughtout Koi Kaze.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8