• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shining Wings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've had my eye on Kaze Hikaru for a long time, but I have some concerns about it. When I tried to read it way back when in the print issues of Shojo Beat, I found it boring and hard to follow. I figured it was because I was coming in at the middle of the story, and I'm not all that familiar with Japanese history and the Shisengumi. I know a little more than I did then (thanks Gintama), but it still seems to have a high point of entry.

I learned all the history as I was reading. I had to reread the first couple volumes once or twice before I started to get things straight (it does kinda introduce ALL the important Shinsengumi members at once), but maybe your familiarity with Gintama will help :) And yes, the Real History part can be a bummer. But it's so well-written!! I'm continually impressed that Watanabe-sensei doesn't try to change the actual events, but is still able to portray the characters with great sympathy and make their actions seem true and believable.

Agent355 wrote:
I'm so frustrated with Viz because they have the most potential licenses and they seem so reluctant to let anyone else publish "their" stuff, even if they don't publish it themselves. That is how it looks like to us ignorant fans, anyway. Publish it or let someone else (Vertical, Yen, etc) do it!

My thoughts too. I'm cool with the one-to-one publisher relationships but with two of the major three JP publishers working exclusively with one US pub, which also draws from a few more smaller JP pubs, the titles we get seem like such a frustratingly meager trickle of what we could have...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I have to admit, my first thought on seeing Kaze Hikaru's review was that thing lasted 22 volumes? I found it boring as hell and it was the first series I stopped reading back when Shoujo Beat was around. I definitely did not expect it to still be being published today, when most of the other SB titles have wrapped up.

Enough people still buy and read it, thankfully. And yeah, I can see how KH would not be some shoujo readers cup of tea. A huge part of it is a history lesson and some people don't want that in their shoujo, I guess. I'm all for it, though. I guess you have to be interested in the actual Shinsengumi a lot to really enjoy KH. If you're just reading it for romance or something then yeah. Eh. The actual story is just so well-written it's hard to think it's boring, I think. Sad

And yeah, it's 34 volumes and going still in Japan. Since the English version is so far behind I just fear it's one of those that will end in Japan and eventually fizzle out over here before it gets done. Ugh.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm glad Takasugi-san's Obento doesn't seem to be going "there" (at least not in v02) but v01 left a bad enough taste in my mouth for me to just wait it out. If that's not where the mangaka was headed then I didn't think it was handled well in v01-- just too many jokes about the matter that (as I stated at the time) seemed to me like she was having her cake and eating it too (Takasugi's creepy flights of fancy were probably the clincher).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
I wish Viz would either reprint the earlier volumes of KH or release some omnibuses. I'd love to get into it but some of the earlier volumes are now astronomically expensive on the second hand market. It's one of those series that even scanlators don't touch either.

I'd love to see Berry Dynamite licensed too. Maybe if Seiyuu Ka does well they'll consider it.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Bookdepository (free worldwide shipping) and RightStuf both list all the volumes except v5 at less than retail price (5 seems to be the only one OOP). They're also all available digitally if you wanted to fill in the v5 gap that way, unless Viz restricts its content to NA only?? I don't know how that part works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2