• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megumi Han: Hunter x Hunter Anime to End at Episode 148

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Chimera Ant is a dark arc in nature, but I guess Lain's argument is that Madhouse may not have made it as visceral as they could. With the glossier visuals, chipper (and recycled) opening theme and preview tune (seriously, why did it take them 136 episodes to change it?) the odd directorial choice and perhaps slightly underwhelming yet consistent animation at times it may have missed the sweet spot in a few places I might attest to. Certainly the 1999 version had it right and I still regard it as a classic; the Yorknew arc is just extremely hardhitting while it feels a little too soft, fast-paced and emotionally distant in the 2011 version. Chimera Ant in 2011 is still quite good though, and episode 85 in particular was jaw-dropping for me.

For me, I'd say 1999 & Yorknew Continuation OVA>2011's first 58 episodes, but Greed Island was vastly improved in 2011; the slower pacing wasn't to Greed Island's benefit unlike Yorknew and the other very heavy scenes throughout earlier arcs, and the production values and direction sucked the fun out of the arc meanwhile the 2011 version made it a blast to watch.

Finally, someone who can see what I was saying. THANK YOU. Laughing

Hahaha, no problem. I'm also in agreement about the liberties part. Even if 1999 does take liberties with the manga, that's not entirely nor innately a bad thing even still; honestly Killua is my least favourite of the main 4 because he's kind of an obnoxious Gary Stu, but he was at least more tolerable and more reserved in the 1999 version than 2011. One of my favourite anime series also happens to be a very unfaithful adaptation of a novel and manga series, Kure-nai; the manga is absolute juvenile garbage from what I've read whereas the anime is a nuanced, visceral, emotional and mature little gem. I'm also of the opinion FMA2003>Brotherhood, not to say 2003 is perfect by any means though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
By the next iteration of the series, it'd be the next Han, granddaughter, taking over.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
1.) Maybe 2011 was more 'accurate' but the pacing pooped all over that so it's a flawed argument, whats the point of detail if you can't even take the time to see it?

Its pacing was rather rushed in the Hunter Exam and the early part of Greed Island, I admit, but other than that it adapted the material at a reasonable rate that reflected the pace of the manga. For instance, how else could Madhouse have animated the Chimera Ant arc's dense pages accurately without taking a slower-paced approach?

Lain'sHairline wrote:
2.) Besides you being in denial over Madhouse getting canned, and getting twisted over this. Hahahahaha.

How has Madhouse been canned? They were allowed to adapt the entire series up to the beginning of Togashi's latest arc. By all indications, their work on Hunter x Hunter has been a resounding success.

Lain'sHairline wrote:
Original taking too many liberties? 2011 didn't take any liberties at all if not more? You've lost your marbles.

Notice how I've responded to your posts so far without making any judgement of your sanity. I'd appreciate it very much if you could do the same.

Lain'sHairline wrote:
3.) "And Killua as a emotionless shell for much of the Hunter Exam and rearranging events during the Heavens Arena Arc" HMMM a cold blooded assassin raised from birth to be ruthless WOULD NOT BE emotionless? You just shot yourself in the foot, that is a more accurate representation than an overly cheeky spoiled rich kid who thinks nobody knows better than him 24/7

I cannot understand how anyone could interpret Killua in such a light. He might have a dark past, but he doesn't let it dominate who he is to the extent that it leaves him emotionally cold. The way he balances his cheeky and cheerful personality with his assassin upbringing is one of the most appealing aspects of his character. He certainly has a ruthless side, but he only shows it when the situation requires him to go in for the kill.

I mean, heck, we see him smiling lightheartedly on the very first page that he's introduced:

The 2011 show's superior take on Killua's character stands out particularly strong in his fight against Zushi, as one of the posters on the video pointed out:

Gearfire wrote:
Killua is almost expressionless in this fight in the 1999. Without even sound you can tell that in 2011 Killua goes from cocky, to surprised, to frustrated, to somewhat scared.

Though honestly, I think my biggest turnoff with the older version is the character designs. They simply look wierd to me a lot of them time, and I really dislike some of the color choices the animators made, like the gross light green of Gon's outfit and Killua's maroon turtleneck.

I suppose my post is becoming a bit unorganized, so I'll just end it by saying Hunter x Hunter is awesome no matter what version you prefer. With that said, I'll defend my preference to the last breath. Cool
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
@ParkerALx

"Megumi Han posted her final diary about the recording of the Hunter x Hunter anime on Sunday, and revealed that episode 148 will be the final episode of the series." Canned means terminated project, which applies to Madhouse in this case. Successful, financially I'd agree but subjectively is never set in stone.

For pacing Madhouse did what they felt was right, for their new target demographic I'd say it was a hit. People forget that Yoshihiro Togashi also wrote Yu Yu Hakusho, so fans of that would naturally gravitate towards another series by him being the exact same quality. Due to the slower pace, the 1999 Hunter Exam felt like a real ordeal mentally, emotionally, physically cause it took place over an entire week or so. Without that it comes off as a difficult but somewhat brief experience with little hardship. Chimera Ant arc isn't applicable for comparable discussion because 1999 didn't have a chance to get to it, Pitou vs Gon and Netero vs Meruem was all I cared to see. Ikalgo, Welfin all that was soooo freaking boring, I don't even think those bits should've been seriously animated.

2011 is colorful, and 1999 is not as colorful but had grittier designs of landscapes, in the Hunter exam swamp, restaurants, trick tower, Yorknew etc. I liked the 2011 character colors much better though, the only bad thing about the better color is it evaporates eeriness and anxiety about being killed by Nen, I'll never forget the trick tower scene in 1999 where Hisoka killed a throwing knife guy that trained for years to kill Hisoka, and like nothing Hisoka caught those knives and obliterated him, the fear and shock on his face was perfect.

Killua's ideal demeanor will forever be controversial, due to the complexity of his character how he's presented is a delicate balance. In 2011, he came off like the original Greed Island OVA 100% of the time noticeably happier without trying to reconcile his memories of indiscriminately killing people as Zoldyck's are notorious for. The only exception was at the end of the 2011 exam when he flips. Props for posting pics. And, I did like the Last Mission movie about ON.

Last edited by Lain'sHairline on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Uppa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I'll just end it by saying Hunter x Hunter is awesome no matter what version you prefer. With that said, I'll defend my preference to the last breath. Cool

I think that no fairer nor more fitting a conclusion could be offered than that very statement.

Looking back, HUNTERxHUNTER fans have been blessed with two very high quality anime adaptations--let ANN's own reviews of each series be testament to this--and I absolutely feel that we should have the privilege of being able to enjoy to the fullest whichever portrayal resonates most with us, whether that be the old or the new. (It makes me happiest when people find things they love in both!)

And with a manga that remains--touch wood--still ongoing, alongside the new anime and the wealth of new merchandises that it has brought with it, we're a very lucky bunch. The early excitement of the year 2000 notwithstanding, there's probably never been a better time to be a HUNTERxHUNTER fan.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Uppa wrote:

Looking back, HUNTERxHUNTER fans have been blessed with two very high quality anime adaptations--let ANN's own reviews of each series be testament to this--

They were still too low rated I find honestly; Carl gave Yorknew a B+ for 1999 and to me it's an easy A among other things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zellion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I don't think they'll continue this again.

Look what happened with D grey man and Claymore. It's been years and we got nothing.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zellion wrote:
Sadly, I don't think they'll continue this again.

Look what happened with D grey man and Claymore. It's been years and we got nothing.

Well, to put it frankly, they aren't the phenomenons in Japan Hunter X Hunter is. When the 2011 anime was on, its ratings were in the top 10 slots which is normally almost exclusive to Toei shows, Pokemon/Yokai Watch, Conan and some kodomo stuff, so it's pretty outstanding, plus the new manga volumes always sell buttloads and top charts in their first week (probably because Togashi holds everyone in suspense with all the hiatuses and then people jump on the new volume like hotcakes.)
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
ParkerALx wrote:
I personally found the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime to be overly melodramatic and not at all consistent with the tone of Togashi's writing. As a big fan of the manga, I'd take MadHouse's adaptation any day of the week. The 1999 show has its moments, undoubtedly, and offers solid entertainment on its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the standards of the source material.

How is MadHouse's adaptation of the Chimera Ant arc any less dramatic than the manga? It was practically done frame-by-frame in terms of accuracy.

1.) Maybe 2011 was more 'accurate' but the pacing pooped all over that so it's a flawed argument, whats the point of detail if you can't even take the time to see it?

2.) Besides you being in denial over Madhouse getting canned, and getting twisted over this. Hahahahaha. First, "I would personally find myself of the opposite opinion, finding the 1999 version (up until Greed Island: Final, at least) to be more consonant with Togashi's style of writing." This this this. He actually gets it.

Original taking too many liberties? 2011 didn't take any liberties at all if not more? You've lost your marbles.

3.) "And Killua as a emotionless shell for much of the Hunter Exam and rearranging events during the Heavens Arena Arc" HMMM a cold blooded assassin raised from birth to be ruthless WOULD NOT BE emotionless? You just shot yourself in the foot, that is a more accurate representation than an overly cheeky spoiled rich kid who thinks nobody knows better than him 24/7

So what exactly do you want. Madhouse not being faithful or being too faithful? Because Liked was mentioned Killua is smiling in the first scene he's in. He's not supposed to be a moody kid. From jump he's not meant to be normal, a cold blooded killer yet he's acts like a normal 12 year old.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
This is silly. Of course Hunter x Hunter is coming back eventually. This series was excellent and very popular. However they can't put something together they have no source material for.

Assuming we don't get another massive break from the manga, Expect Madhouse to bring HxH back around late 2016. It makes too much sense for them not to, and this show has been far too successful to end here.

Madhouse did not get "canned." They ran out of source material. Whether you liked or didn't like HxH, at least try to be fair.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I love this series so much, but this is the right place for it to end. I have the feeling we won't ever see more, except maybe an OVA.

But hey, once it's done, I'll be starting over at episode 1. It was just that good.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I feel this will be one series that will never get a conclusion given the absurd hiatuses the manga goes on. I have a feeling the mangaka will die before either are finished.
gogozeppeli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Unfortunately, I feel this will be one series that will never get a conclusion given the absurd hiatuses the manga goes on. I have a feeling the mangaka will die before either are finished.

That would be Berserk. No matter how irregular HxH at least it's a weekly manga, but Berserk is an irregular monthly and I'm so scared of never seeing the ending.

Also, the guy who says that Madhouse isn't the best guy for the job is nostalgic, and by that I mean sees the old anime as dark when it seems to always have a problem with the lighting budget and it's always dim for no reason and probably thinks that the new one is "kiddy and childish" even though it's probably more violent and less censored than the old one.

Chimera Ant was probably one of the greatest arcs I've read and the anime clearly takes into account that it's meant to be played out like a novel narrative.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Guys do you think that the anime will continue as soon as the manga push ahead??? Thanks Smile))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4