• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I have no idea of what he means by "flare", but being a big fan of many current seiyuus, I couldn't disagree more with his opinion. If you can't tell Kana Hanazawa from Mamiko Noto or Miyuki Sawashiro and Daisuke Ono from Mamoru Miyano or Akira Ishida, the problem's with your ears, not with "young voice actors". Although I will agree that there are many characters with same-y voices (especially on cliché-heavy shows), when compared to one another you can still notice the differencet voices.

How can you disagree with something you don't understand.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
While we are gathered here, I could say: "all old Japanese men look the same" and be no closer to correct than he is. Perspective can be a funny thing.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
It kind of sounds like he is trying to make an example by deeds, not words.

That is a water droplet in the ocean. The example I gave was steve jobs revolutionizing the computer industry, in layman terms, he made the iphone, made a ton of money out of it and nowadays everyone in the industry wants to make a better iphone.

If tomino, miyazaki, et al hate all the new and popular trends in the industry then they just have to prove that what they say is tremendously popular (make a low cost but high profit anime just like they say it would be better, be it an OVA, tv series or movie) and everybody will copy them, whether they like it or not, because it is the "next big thing".

It enrages me because they say all this stuff really believing that they will change the industry with mere words, talk is cheap, if they really could pull it out they would be keeping all this bull a secret (the same way steve jobs kept the macintosh and the iphone a secret until they were unveiled to the public) or at the very least sell the idea to another company for big bucks.

Tomino made his iPhone in the late 70s/early 80s. It was called Gundam.

As for the issue with the voice actors, all I'm saying is that he's not just shooting the bull here. It looks like the only reason he brought this up in the first place is because he's been having to work with them and he can't get what he wants out of them because they've all been conditioned to deliver there lines the same way. Maybe it is just a water droplet in the ocean but its definitely not like he's just jumping on Facebook or Twitter and suddenly ranting about it.
billy bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sorry folks but he is a legend in the anime industry and a long time veteran, he deserves to say what the hell he wants. What's more you are free to disagree with what he says, but because he;s worked in the anime industry for over 40 years, it's safe to say he knows more about it than anyone else on this or any other forum.

Frankly, I can get where he is coming from.

Although I agree with the fact that it's not just voice styles the seiyuu choose, it's the styles of characters that they have to play. Anime has held to some well worn tropes for a while but those tropes I think have been magnified to an extent since the 90s with the extreme focus on the Akiba audience.

You see spins on the same tropes every year with less and less titles that really try to break new ground in terms of audience. That combined with the tons of cash to be made with character goods, namely CDs, probably can lead to a certain amount of sameyness.

I've long accepted anime as largely a shill for kids and the otaku crowd for some time, it's about where the money comes from. Seiyuu performances and casting reflect that.

There are exceptions of course. Sometimes people can surprise you with their range. If you told my Megumi "Winry" Toyoguchi was Revi from Black Lagoon, I'dve said you were high as a kite!

Now if you go back a ways, acting in anime DID actually sound a bit more like natural japanese speech acting, mainly in stuff before the 80s in my opinion. From the mid 80s onward, a change to a more haughty theatrical style I think really emerged.

For an interesting comparison, go and compare the original Zeta Gundam show to the new Zeta Gundam clip movies and you'll see a bit of what I'm talking about. Or better yet, watch the old Lupin TV show vs the newer specials.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Another case of someone who just spouts a generalized statement and it's left to the hearers to decipher what he really meant. Next time he should give more thoughts to his statements.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
I have little trouble distinguishing between the popular seiyuu. Tomino must just be going deaf.

The real problem is that some seiyuu are being overused to the point of obnoxiousness. Luckily Kana Hana is not so ubiquitous anymore or else I would have gone mad.

Eisenmann V wrote:
OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD

That's what they said about Miyazaki when he bitched about one thing or another.

Old Japanese men must really hate clouds, LOL.

Obligatory pic:

Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
Will this old man ever stop spouting crap out of his mouth? All he does is talk sh*t whenever he has the chance. I still remember that time he bullied Arai Satomi.

This man, this geezer, is utter garbage.

mangamuscle wrote:
I would not be surprised if what he really means is "you need to sound like the voice actors from the animes of my youth" Rolling Eyes

I bet this is the reason for all this trash-talking, after all, this elder still lives in the 60-70s.

Pathetic Konqueror. Tomino is one of the greatest Japanese animation professionals of the last 40 years. Along with Anno and Miyazaki. Your opinion is shit fly compared to theirs. Laughing
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
Would the reactions be a li'l bit more positive if such controversial statement were made by Shinichiro Watanabe or, say, "contemporary" directors like Tetsuro Araki or Atsuko Ishizuka?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
For Christ's sake Tomino just shut up already.
As3ann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I have no idea of what he means by "flare", but being a big fan of many current seiyuus, I couldn't disagree more with his opinion. If you can't tell Kana Hanazawa from Mamiko Noto or Miyuki Sawashiro and Daisuke Ono from Mamoru Miyano or Akira Ishida, the problem's with your ears, not with "young voice actors". Although I will agree that there are many characters with same-y voices (especially on cliché-heavy shows), when compared to one another you can still notice the differencet voices.

those you mentioned are not young or rookie seiyuus though...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LrViaPq7M

The utter disrespect for this legendary director in this thread is sickening. As soon as a pillar of anime like Tomino or Miyazaki says something even approaching controversial, the mouth breathers immediately turn on them with vitriol.

Hell, all Miyazaki said was that children might benefit from going outside now and then, and the atom wastes rioted. Tomino's just talking about voice actors in general, FFS.

Don't wanna be disrespected, don't say something stupid. The decision to give respect is MINE; it is a privilege, not a right and Tomino has not earned that privilege, especially since I find that his creations have worked in SPITE of him, not because of him. Heck, when most of the good stuff about Gundam had nothing to do with him and I found everything he DID work on to be either boring or just full of itself, I can't help but feel the man's reputation is overblown.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
"Hello my name is Yoshiyuki Tomino and I hate everything. Even my own works."
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
I can see his point, but can he really prove that voice acting in the 70s and 80s wasn't mostly the same way? Kind of sounds like bitching for the sake of bitching.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly sure that basic professional respect demands that you don't publicly say things like "the people who work under me were incompetent before I fixed them up" regarding a currently ongoing project. Especially by name. So I'm not going to feel too bad that people aren't worshipping at the altar of the old guy spitting bile at his replacements, regardless of how much respect you think he deserves for his accomplishments.
Kai Shmuper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
The guy has been supervising VA's castings for 4 decades, I'm sure he doesn't know sh!t about them.
BTW, Toru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda say Hi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8