• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Uf... Poor Akame to kill her own sister...
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I always love a good sword fight and this episode delivered very well with some really good choreography. It made want to watch again the final fight from Sword of the Stranger(which I did)
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Who ever is reviewing this series must not read the manga or ever seen any spoilers from it. This series after episode 18 has gone to garbage level. Its going to be an Anime Only ending which is really sad because they skipped like 20 chapters.

Well, might as well see how they will end the series. Always going for the money. Episode Rating: 2/10 Sad
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
Who ever is reviewing this series must not read the manga or ever seen any spoilers from it. This series after episode 18 has gone to garbage level. Its going to be an Anime Only ending which is really sad because they skipped like 20 chapters.

Well, might as well see how they will end the series. Always going for the money. Episode Rating: 2/10 Sad

I raises the question: which is more preferable? Having the anime adapt the source material (manga, LN, VN, etc) as closely as possible, or should it try to stand by its own strength and merits?

Last edited by Hameyadea on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:

Yes, I have not read the manga and have mostly (though not entirely!) avoided looking at spoilers from it.

I am also one who has never believed that an anime is automatically crap if it strays at all from its sacred source material. Manga/lite novel writers are definitely not infallible; their work can absolutely be improved upon in an anime adaptation.

Even without that consideration, I am still reviewing the anime based on what it does as an anime series, not as an adaptation of the source material. If the latter is what you are looking for then you will have to look for reviews on a different site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I am also one who has never believed that an anime is automatically crap if it strays at all from its sacred source material. Manga/lite novel writers are definitely not infallible; their work can absolutely be improved upon in an anime adaptation.

Even without that consideration, I am still reviewing the anime based on what it does as an anime series, not as an adaptation of the source material. If the latter is what you are looking for then you will have to look for reviews on a different site.

Thank you. I know Zac talked about this recently in an episode of ANNCast, but people who have read source material need to stop asserting that anime shows must always follow light novels/manga exactly. It's a completely different medium with different challenges and realities - two of the most important ones being time and space. There are a huge number of people (especially on a site called Anime News Network) who are interested in watching the anime, and the anime reviews are to give a sense of what that experience is like, not to complain about how it differs from the manga.

At this point, it should be obvious that if the show only has a couple episodes remaining, they can't cram 20 chapters of manga into that. It's a silly criticism. If someone is that upset about the anime not being able to adapt everything then they should go get tens of millions of dollars and pay for the anime producers to keep it going for 2 or 3 more seasons.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Key wrote:

Thank you. I know Zac talked about this recently in an episode of ANNCast, but people who have read source material need to stop asserting that anime shows must always follow light novels/manga exactly. It's a completely different medium with different challenges and realities - two of the most important ones being time and space. There are a huge number of people (especially on a site called Anime News Network) who are interested in watching the anime, and the anime reviews are to give a sense of what that experience is like, not to complain about how it differs from the manga.

At this point, it should be obvious that if the show only has a couple episodes remaining, they can't cram 20 chapters of manga into that. It's a silly criticism. If someone is that upset about the anime not being able to adapt everything then they should go get tens of millions of dollars and pay for the anime producers to keep it going for 2 or 3 more seasons.

Manga fans ought to get used to this type of treatment for ongoing monthly titles. It's disappointing I know and I've felt it quite a few times before as an avid fan of manga (not this time since I never really cared all that much for this particular series -the manga and the anime- personally), but we gotta realize that things that we want aren't terribly practical for animators.

It's cool if you want to criticize White Foxes decisions with the last few episodes, it's cool if you want to say that they haven't been doing a good job with the script, it's not cool to scream bloody murder without even giving it a chance to stand on its own. So try to look at the show for its own merits if you can
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I do think it's fair to take a show to task if it follows the manga/light novels really closely for a good chunk of the series then seems to say "oh ****" right at the end and go off in some weird direction. Especially a series like this one that had some largely irrelevant stories early on. It comes off as a sort of "bait and switch" if you spend early episodes 'pandering' to original source fans only to fly off due to "lack of space" at the end.

Full Disclosure, I'm an "anime-only" viewer on this one, and have no real attachment to the original source, but the last few episodes have felt "rushed" (plot wise) to me and seems to be heading for a train-wreck ending.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

Wow...

If that actually just happened, I'm impressed. That's old school!
traveling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Either way you look at it,spoiler[ kill the main protagonist is a bold move.] I personally think it will make for a better final episode. One that focuses on the two strongest characters on both sides. Also, spoiler[the minister needs to die].

Again AO ending makes the most sense regardless of the final result because this isn't getting a second season and the manga doesn't currently have a satisfying end point to animate.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's something many shows don't do anymore. Especially since the show focused mainly on him(even though Akame's name in the title).

But then they showed all the characters that were killed off. That reminded me that he'll at least be with Mine after this episode.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
I didn't predict Wave doing anything good, that was a bit of a surprise. I'm not sure why he is doing that, however.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
I didn't predict Wave doing anything good, that was a bit of a surprise. I'm not sure why he is doing that, however.

He's not a psychopath who's willing to let the innocent people of the capital die for no reason. In fact he probably would never have joined the military if he knew how awful the powers he fights for are
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
I do not read the manga and I avoided spoilers until this very episode (23) but something has been off since Mine's death. The pacing and the way one scene led to another stopped "flowing" as it once did (with the exception of Lubba's battle, which was fine).

My biggest gripe with EP23 is how it undermines at least half of the moments Esdeath & Tatsumi shared onscreen. It was a very interesting and original dynamic, and it's sad it won't have any sort of closure. Neither character was going to convince each other, and I was fine with that. The lack of resolution could be even called "realistic", but as storytelling goes...it felt empty and a wasted opportunity.

But the bigger issue is what's to come: finally putting the focus on Akame. During all these episodes, she was one of the least interesting characters (even less so than some of the bad guys who had less screentime) and the series did nothing to change that. I kept wondering why was her name on the title, and I hoped it wasn't just because she was the strongest (she totally didn't feel like that so far). The final shodown with her sister should have been character development for her...instead, everything surrounding that conflict developed her sister (or even Wave) more than telling us something more about Akame.

This lack of nuance in her personality leaves me with a final episode in which I should be rooting for her (clearly the one with the better cause) but I'm not even that interested in the match itself since I care very little about her fate. What's more, if I were to guide myself by everything I've seen so far, the only way she can defeat Esdeath is by some asspull: basically a technique we haven't seen before.

I may or may not check the manga once the series finished, but I'm sad it could have been better than this. For the most part I did enjoy the ride and I'm glad it offered a battle manga scenario without shying away of actually killing the characters to make every face off truly important.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
the only way she can defeat Esdeath is by some asspull: basically a technique we haven't seen before.

Again, I haven't read ANY of the source material or anything, so this is just conjecture, but it APPEARS that you are correct based only on the "next episode" preview which included a shot of Akame with some kinda markings on her body that we've never seen before. (at least as far as I can recall)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 30