• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki US Release in Jeopardy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I should have wrote; Name one Ghibli title Disney hasn't had rights to after they signed the agreement to be the US distributor . I too would guess Disney was offered "Grave Of The Fireflies" but shyed away from it because of its story, and how it portrayed the Americans in the fire bombing of Tokyo. Maybe Disney will dub "I can Hear The Sea" at a later date, if Ghibli allows it that is.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I too would guess Disney was offered "Grave Of The Fireflies" but shyed away from it because of its story, and how it portrayed the Americans in the fire bombing of Tokyo.
Ugh, I refuse to believe we have become that sensitive.

Lets face it, we bombed the shit out of them, it's a fact. Oh and by the way it was war, in an era when everyone believed in the home country.

I am not saying you are wrong about Disney, but I find it troubling that you may be right.

Does that make sense or am I a lune?

On second thought, your right. Far be it from me to not allow real history to be taught. I just wonder how many kids get the real version these days?

I am not trying to be antagonistic, just struck a chord thats all. Many don't realize that death was given to both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I too would guess Disney was offered "Grave Of The Fireflies" but shyed away from it because of its story, and how it portrayed the Americans in the fire bombing of Tokyo.

Lets face it, we bombed the shit out of them, it's a fact. Oh and by the way it was war, in an era when everyone believed in the home country.

I am not saying you are wrong about Disney, but I find it troubling that you may be right.

You're right, it was war. Not to mention that Japan bombed us first, WITHOUT declaring war. (if I remember my history correctly, they didn't declare it until AFTER Pearl Harbor.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't want to start a debate or anything, it's just that I hate to see people shy away from which both parties did. And for an American company to shy away from GotF for such a reason makes no sense. I hope that isn't true. If it is true I hope those people are long gone from the company, and they try to work Gendo over here as best as possible.

My prediction: '07 with a dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:

I don't think it's about sensitivity, as much as losing sales.
Though it could also be about the violence, even though Bambi's probably just as depressing. But yeah, they still haven't put Song of the South on dvd, even though they hinted they would for the 60th anniversary. *sigh*

Quote:

My prediction: '07 with a dub.

Their money's on Ratatouillie. So I guess if it disappoints like Cars, I'll predict '08. Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If so should it really count now? Wink

Well, it IS a movie made by Ghibli, using Ghibli staff, and is marketted as such. The difference is distributors (both there, here, and elsewhere), so it probably should count.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Name one Ghibli title that Disney has not had rights to release in the US? Wink

anime#152
Wasn't this released before the Ghibli/Disney deal was signed, Like Nausicaa, Kiki, and Totoro? If so should it really count now? Wink

According to Nausicaa.net, it doesn't count because the rights are with a different company. Read about it here (under "Not included" section). Apparently, Studio Ghibli doesn't own the rights to its own works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4