• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Directors' Humble Beginnings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
The poll is last week's.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
The poll is last week's.

Yes and you can't vote in this week's pole (if it's about your experience in the manga industry).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
We're working on it, having some technical difficulties. Should be fixed shortly.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw Kunihiko Ikuhara at a panel years ago, and he said he left after Sailor Moon S, before Sailor Moon SuperS started. He said that then the new SuperS producer wanted him to do the SuperS movie. He initially said he wasn't interested, but the producer persuaded him to do it. Ikuhara came up with an idea where Sailor Neptune was a captive at "End of the World" and Sailor Uranus was trying to save her, but there was some additional issue, something along those lines. Then the SuperS producer was replaced, which ended that SuperS movie possibility. Some elements from the movie idea, though, perhaps peripherally, ended up in Utena.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
How can you talk about Anno and not mention Daicon?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to be that guy but Koichi Mashimo didn't direct Night on the Galactic Railroad.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Don't want to be that guy but Koichi Mashimo didn't direct Night on the Galactic Railroad.

That is correct he was one of the storyboard artists on the film. Plus another problem he founded Bee Train in 1997. It was in 2006 Bee Train split from I.G

But anyway few errors aside awesome to see him included on the list, I know he and his studio are usually the subject to much criticism but he has been such an influence on me.
ehh123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
What about Mamoru Hosoda? Before feature films, he was known for making the quality of a Toei anime rise whenever he was an episode or movie director. Episode 21 of Digimon Adventures anyone?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, director Seiji Mizushima started out directing an episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion. One of my favorite episodes, in fact (the dance synchronizing episode).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the idiosyncratic ways that some of these directors entered into the industry is still open. There's a tendency for an industry to become more locked-off and credentialist as it matures. Of course, I don't know how eccentric their means of entry were relative to what was more typical at the time.

I would not have expected that Isao Takahata studied French literature, but it's not so hard to believe. More people who work in anime should probably study literature.

It isn't mentioned in the article, but Kōichi Mashimo directed Noir, one of my favorite series, then made two more 'girls-with-guns shows': Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja. (I own The Irresponsible Captain Tylor and I'mma watch it one of these days, I swear!) Has anybody heard from him or Bee Train lately? The last thing he directed was Hyōge Mono, which was three years ago. Perhaps he has quietly retired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if the idiosyncratic ways that some of these directors entered into the industry is still open. There's a tendency for an industry to become more locked-off and credentialist as it matures. Of course, I don't know how eccentric their means of entry were relative to what was more typical at the time.

Nah, nowadays everything is A LOT weirder. I mean, it is theoretically possible for a person to get a job as an episode director through twitter. Horrendous production schedules and low salaries turn away a lot people from working in anime industry, which forces the producers to hire mostly anyone willing to work within those atrocious conditions.Besides none of the examples given here are truly eccentric.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
With technology, working remotely now for any of the non-head positions is possible and acceptable. Like danilo07 said, given the workload, they'll take anyone anywhere. Public tweets for jobs (Attack on Titan, Wake Up Girls) didn't happen before.

Technology also makes foreign collaborations and outsourcing easier like with Asian and French studios. Foreign animators have also joined anime studios e.g. Thomas Romain (Symphogear), Justin Leach previously at Production I.G., and Bahi JD is an animator who currently works remotely from Austria.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice Drake reference!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a few Fall shows that I'm going to watch after they get several weeks in, but honestly, after the last couple of seasons I'm really trying not to get too excited for anything, because in all likelihood, it could end up as crap. I've been burned too many times, so to speak. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
There are several new series and sequels I am exited about, but Psycho-Pass 2 is the one I am most looking forward to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2