• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia 2.0 Wishlist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Add the facility to include digital music tracks/albums as releases. There are practically no physical soundtracks released now, but digital copies of opening and ending sounds (either as singles or as part of albums) are occasionally available through the likes of Amazon and iTunes and you get the odd soundtrack album too.

E.g.
http://www.aniplexusa.com/lisa/
http://www.amazon.com/Attack-Original-Soundtrack-Hiroyuki-Sawano/dp/B00MIOOIUY
http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/its/
etc.

I thought Apple's affiliate program forbade price comparisons and links to competitors etc., but I can't find anything to that effect now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to explain a bit the general design of Encyclopedia 2.0

Currently a user can only add information and edit information he previously submitted himself. In 2.0 anyone will be able to add/edit/delete anything; there will be no more "error reports" per se. This will be done by storing every add/edit/delete operation as a new record in an append-only database. example:
  • user1 adds "A" and then changes it to "B"; the original "A" will remain there but the database will record that user1 endorses "B" over "A"
  • user2 changes it to "C"; the database will record that user2 endorses "C" over "B"
  • user3 adds "D"
  • user2 notices "D" is a duplicate of "C", and merges "D" into "C"; the database will record that user2 endorses "C" over "D"
  • user4 deletes the "C"; the database will record that user4 endorses (none) over "C"
Then the Encyclopedia will take all that information along with the users' experience level and history, and decide if it should display "A", "B", "C", "D", or none. When a user modifies information he can add a message to explain his edit, for the benefit of people who look at the history of that node.

The information submitted by users will be structured as names which contain info which can link to other names as well as contain sub-info (and sub-sub-info, etc.) So the anime name "Steins;Gate" would contain a main-staff info, which contains a credit info, which links to the task name "Director" and the person name "Hiroshi Hamasaki".

The specifics of this tree-like structure will be staff-editable, so whatever new and wild type of info you want to add is possible.

All Encyc 1.0 data will be imported into this new structure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Answers to some requests specifically:

• ability to mark cast roles as spoilers
  • company job importance
  • notifications when people change info you added, so you can indicate [dis]agreement with their change
  • finer-grained objectionable content ratings, with independant scores for blood/sex/language/drugs, per episode
  • name translation (Director⟷監督, Akira⟷アキラ, Hayao Miyazaki⟷宮崎駿) and display according to user preference
  • releases will be fully user-editable (and overhauled for sensible region/format info)
  • a "name" can be any of: anime, manga, person, band, group, company, song, (etc.)
  • a band-name can be merged with a person-name... or any name really (they're all "names")
  • person names should be formatted as "family, given" but doesn't need to be; any name is possible
  • multiple names can be linked as alternates, forming a single "entity" (page)
  • anime series can contain anime series can contain anime series
  • replace "TV series" and "OAV series" by simple "series" that may contain (a mix of) TV episode / OAV episode / movie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Then the Encyclopedia will take all that information along with the users' experience level and history, and decide if it should display "A", "B", "C", "D", or none. When a user modifies information he can add a message to explain his edit, for the benefit of people who look at the history of that node.

So basically editors' information will trump all, but something I endorse over somebody who registered yesterday will win out? Sounds efficient.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

• replace "TV series" and "OAV series" by simple "series" that may contain (a mix of) TV episode / OAV episode / movie

While being able to designate individual episodes as TV episodes or OAV episodes sounds good, I dislike this change overall because I like to be able to search for anime based on them being TV series or OAVs. One feature I've been wanting is for the List Tool's ability to limit searches to any of TV/OAV/ONA/special/movie to also be added to the Genre Search. It sounds like not only would that feature not be added to the Genre Search, it would no longer be available in the List Tool (or whatever searching tools are available in Encyclopedia 2.0). Would it be possible to add a feature where a series could be designated as having a primary format, with that primary format being TV/OAV/ONA/special/movie? That way you could search for things using the primary format, but still add episodes that aren't of the primary format. For example, you could have an anime entry for "K-On!" with a primary format of "TV", but then in the episodes list 12 TV episodes and 8 OAV episodes (which is how the K-On! episode list is now).

Also, when you say you can list movies as episodes, is that intended for something like The Garden of Sinners. I just want to make sure your not suggesting something like that Dragon Ball Z would now be a single anime containing 291 TV episodes and 13 movie episodes (plus a bunch of OAV or special episodes). The former sounds like it would be a useful feature, while the later doesn't sound good.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I just meant that a "TV series" would become defined as a "series" made up of (mostly) "TV episodes". There's no need to decide a primary format in advance, in fact often we don't even know the format when a new anime is first announced. And yes, it's also meant for stuff like Garden of Sinners, so there's no need to add a "movie series" type.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
there will be no more "error reports" per se.

I'm curious, how will these two points be reconciled for outstanding reports? Relatedly, will there be some sort of legacy or transitionally available report we can pull which lists (in a more directly usable way than the My Contributions report) what is currently out there?

I hope the old reports will be available through the new "someone changed your information" notification system. Just having all those "+ out" entries under My Contributions doesn't really help narrow things down. Starting to think I would just like to have more info under the My Contributions report... maybe the ability to expand or zoom into a title to show a detailed listing of everything added/changed/deleted and its current status.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Changing "OAV" to "OVA".
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
there will be no more "error reports" per se.

I'm curious, how will these two points be reconciled for outstanding reports?

It will be possible to add comments about the data (and not just when you're modifying the data). Existing error reports will be imported as comments. For the sake of the import, comments can be flagged as "endorse" or "discard", but the normal way to fix errors will be to edit the info.

And yes, I'll make sure there's a nice interface that allows you to see everything you contributed, edited, etc. along with their current status.

Takkun4343 wrote:
Changing "OAV" to "OVA".

Actually I was thinking of that too. When I started the Encyclopedia 13 years ago the two terms were used pretty much equally so I just chose OAV as my personal favorite. But since then, the term "OVA" has become dominant.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Will it be possible for release groupings on Encyclopedia pages to carry over to the My ANN collections?

This manga#1578 for example, has multiple different types of releases. Save for the box sets, I own all of the other releases. While there are groupings on the Encyclopedia page, the collection page orders them by number (i.e. all the 1's are together, followed by the 2's).

There are a few other cases like this, especially related to reprints. I may not be speaking for other users, but I've personally found this to be a minor annoyance.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This promise of a nice interface to see my contributions, edits, etc fills me with joy.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Shoujo wrote:
Will it be possible for release groupings on Encyclopedia pages to carry over to the My ANN collections?

This manga#1578 for example, has multiple different types of releases. Save for the box sets, I own all of the other releases. While there are groupings on the Encyclopedia page, the collection page orders them by number (i.e. all the 1's are together, followed by the 2's).

There are a few other cases like this, especially related to reprints. I may not be speaking for other users, but I've personally found this to be a minor annoyance.

IIRC, Sailor Moon has this problem, because of the re-numbering. If you look at the release list, it looks like the rerelease quit 3/4th of the way through.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Chibi Shoujo wrote:

IIRC, Sailor Moon has this problem, because of the re-numbering. If you look at the release list, it looks like the rerelease quit 3/4th of the way through.

The Sailor Moon page could do with some general re-working, but it's not the only manga that has a numbering issue between the Encyclopedia entry and the personal collections page. Alice in the Country of Hearts is another one because Tokyopop originally published a set, and then Yen Press republished it. The collection page orders it as Tokyopop 1, Yen Press 1, Tokyopop 2, Yen Press 2, etc.

Deadman Wonderland would do the same thing between the Tokyopop and Viz editions, even if it were properly grouped on the Encyclopedia page. Same with Inuyasha. There are a number of manga out there like this.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

• finer-grained objectionable content ratings, with independent scores for blood/sex/language/drugs, per episode

So, I was entering credits and I noticed an error report on a content rating to the effect of "BD is out, upgrade from significant to intense"

Will there be a broadcast/physical version split too? I completely agree that the age ratings/content ratings need to be finer, but how fine? If the TV version has a bath scene with completely obfuscating steam, but the disk has the steam removed, does the episode have nudity or not?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Shocked
*head explodes*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3