• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki Speaks Out About His Political Views and Japanese Politics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Please, kind sir. I beg you to stop your baseless and biased assumptions. As someone who has actually live in China and Japan, I know how extremely complicated and utterly sensitive when it comes to relations between Japan, China and Korea. The emotional and historical burden that every Chinese and Japanese has to carry since their childhood is almost unthinkable. I realize it is tough for Western residents to fully understand how complex such issue is, since Media coverage most of times cannot accurately convey that atomsphere. But...please, at least do some research before writing such irresponsible remark, as you just directly insulted three countries without knowing the what exactly happened.

I understand that the tension between these countries gave you a false impression that they are overly-nationalistic and full of extremeism. I must say such view is hugely exaggerated, and at least think in their shoes and see why the tension started in the first place. Learning history is not trying to remind future generation about the past hatred, but rather, teaching them to never let such tragedy happen again. So before accusing either side, please at least know what happened and what they said.

I hate arguing with people and I always doing my best to avoid an online argument. But as someone who has experience that dreadful atomsphere from both sides, I just cannot let myself ignore such provocative post (maybe not to you, kind sir) . Asian politics is as complicated and sensitive as it can get. There is a reason most Chinese and Japanese (friends, relatives, classmates, etc) I know aren't very passionate when comes to such issues, because they know very well that things will become ugly when talking about them.

Best wishes. And if my tone gave you a rude impression, my apology in advance, as I try to keep my response as mild as possible.

Oh it is quite possible for a Westerner, at least a US Citizen from the southern US as an example, to be able to understand what the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans have to deal with. A subject so sensitive, so emotionally charged that any attempt to speak of it, to examine it, to even contemplate it with a cold reasonable light of logic fails utterly.

And there are other subjects in the US and elsewhere in the west that are just as emotional, just as sensitive and pollute any dialog between people just a badly as what the people of Japan, China and Korea live with.

It's a human thing, we seem to do this to ourselves with distressing regularity.

No hard feelings here, just a sincere wish that we all could be honest with ourselves and each other. Maybe take a tip from the old grump Miyazaki.

Mark Gosdin
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist:

Nothing I've seen of the TPP is any good, but at any rate free trade is a unilateral issue. Yes, you lose some leverage in opening foreign markets, but your countrymen immediately bennefit from the opening of their market.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Same. Although I thought a lot of the Japanese didn't agree with what the nation did during WWII? Other than maybe the older generation of extreme nationalists. Regardless of whether or not I personally agree with him all the time, I really do respect the man and his openness to discussing controversial topics despite the negative opinions he many garner. And as a filmmaker in general I have to love him for introducing me to the vast and expansive medium of anime. Still love most of his works the most. Plus, I kind of agree with him on that whole "modern anime producers are autistic" argument he has. Or was it Hideaki Anno who said that. Meh, pretty much the same people.

Calling people autistic is a very western insult, and even then only among young people. 100% sure he made a snide remark at producers and it got adapt to modern and then autistic.

If you think they are the same people, then you clearly haven't seen much of Annos work.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
They might've once or twice.

Wow. And yet China and Taiwan still have the gall to complain. That's politics for ya.

Polycell wrote:
Nothing I've seen of the TPP is any good, but at any rate free trade is a unilateral issue. Yes, you lose some leverage in opening foreign markets, but your countrymen immediately bennefit from the opening of their market.

I do support free trade, but such treaties are almost always unequal. Two reasons. Firstly, countries themselves are unequal in economic size and influence (which means one country is going to benefit more than the other). And secondly, there are always provisions in such treaties to keep protectionist elements like tariffs, quotas and subsidies, so treaties are never entirely "free".

Of course, the TPP has its own issues, a topic which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"Old guy complains about the government." I don't know why everyone's so impressed and dripping with additional respect due to this. He's hardly blazing a trail.

Would anyone care about his opinions if he wasn't Miyazaki, but another random old guy? Probably not.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Calling people autistic is a very western insult, and even then only among young people. 100% sure he made a snide remark at producers and it got adapt to modern and then autistic.

If you think they are the same people, then you clearly haven't seen much of Annos work.

I highly doubt any of them used the word "autistic". That's what westerners on the internet use to insult people.

Comparing Miyazaki to Anno is bizarre. Anno is a posterchild for otaku culture, while Miyazaki is hugely anti-otaku both in his views and what he makes. Anno's work is popular with otaku while Miyazaki's work is not. They're on opposite ends of the spectrum so mixing them up is very odd.
bin1127

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
He really does sounds sincerely antiwar and is pretty wise with a lot of his observations. I'm not getting the grumpy old man vibe from this.

And he goes much further too, touching on his opinion of population size, sustainably living on the island, and quality of life. It's impressive he identifies the limitations on the pursuit of money. He's probably not all that bought on the idea of capitalism as well looking at Japan present.

Great thoughts coming from the man. Thanks Bamboo for linking it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I highly doubt any of them used the word "autistic". That's what westerners on the internet use to insult people.
Kids on the autism spectrum tend to like Thomas the Tank Engine(just try to decipher how the characters feel - I dare you) and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that that carried over to cartoons as well. There may well be people with high-functioning autism out of proportion in the animater's seat, but it's still probably not what he said.

@ dtm42:

My main point(beyound the noncontroversial suckage of the TPP) is that "free trade" agreements tend to be nothing of the sort.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
"Politicians are short sited and create policies that reflect as such" yeah, sounds like most modern political heads.

More like everyone on this forum who buys anime instead of investing in their retirement fund.

I am not a ghibili fan but this guy always has an opinion about something he doesn't like, but that's Ok.

I see some comments about improving relationships with China. The China you know today is not the China run under Mao. You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Do you not read the news? The new China wants to be a world power, seize land and control the Seas. The old China had a policy of "mind your own business" and would never have done this.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
I guess this comes to prove that not all Japanese people approve of what Japan has done during WWII and despite that I may not always agree with Miyazaki's opinions, I greatly respect him as a human being and hell, if only the Japanese government officials were more honest and stop sugarcoating their crimes, it would have improved their relations with China/Korea a little bit.

You know, the Japanese government has formally apologised for the comfort women and other crimes in World War 2. The did it back in the 90s if I'm not mistaken. And yet if you listened to other Asian countries you'd think Japan has always denied it.

I get the feeling that the animosity towards Japan from China and South Korea is a combination of diplomatic posturing, jealousy at Japanese post-war success and over-pumped nationalism on all three sides.

Surrender Artist wrote:
AAAAAAHHHH! A protectionist!

I'm from New Zealand - which is already pretty much the most open country in the western world - and I'm terrified of the TPP. If you actually look what is in it you'd crap your pants.

This might sound like a stupid question, but what's the TPP?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
electricpatriot wrote:

TPP or Trans-Pacific Partnership. Think of it like the East Asia/Pacific version of NAFTA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:

TPP or Trans-Pacific Partnership. Think of it like the East Asia/Pacific version of NAFTA.

Ah.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
@ electricpatriot, you're welcome. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Comparing Miyazaki to Anno is bizarre. Anno is a posterchild for otaku culture, while Miyazaki is hugely anti-otaku both in his views and what he makes. Anno's work is popular with otaku while Miyazaki's work is not. They're on opposite ends of the spectrum so mixing them up is very odd.

Horseshoe theory: Two extremes on a spectrum have more in common with each other than they would care to admit.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Well, Anno has explicitly said that he sees otaku lifestyle as "forced autism". Granted that was at the time he made Eva, so his opinion has likely evolved. As for Miyazaki, I don't think he would use such a provocative comparison, but they are probably on the same wavelength.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Well, Anno has explicitly said that he sees otaku lifestyle as "forced autism". Granted that was at the time he made Eva, so his opinion has likely evolved. As for Miyazaki, I don't think he would use such a provocative comparison, but they are probably on the same wavelength.

Well it is possible that he himself suffers from Autism, I had a friend at school who did and he would become obsessed with something and then after awhile move on. He could just be projecting when he talks about Otaku and it is note worthy that after reading Freud he suddenly became obsessed with his works and went out of his to put as much as possible into Evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3