• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cool Japan Fund Allocates 14 Billion Yen for Overseas Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest: Thank you for your input, and yeah some of your statments, I share that same thought and my views on Cool Japan is are correct. I don't think this isn't going to work.

I apologize if I bring up South Korea again, but I saw 2 weeks ago that South Korea's govt are going to increase their budget plan aimed at the content industry (which include film, drama, and music), so it looks like Korean pop culture will stay dominant for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Cool Japan has been handing money out for two years now. I know very certainly that at least some of the companies who have received that money have not been asked to publish their financing.

This is disappointing, though not at all surprising. Transparency is hard to come by these days.

Quote:
The way Cool Japan works is that they promise $X to a certain company for certain approved expenses. They do not hand the cash to the company. That company must then spend the money on the approved projects and then submit invoices or proof of expenses to METI in order to receive their compensation. I know of many anime that had their foreign release facilitated by money from Cool Japan.

I never meant to imply that none of the money went to toward anime. While it is mildly reassuring that Cool Japan works as a reimbursement program and not as an outright grant, I have to wonder: If there IS some underhanded intent to fund friends of METI officers and drum up support for future elections, then having METI sign off on expenditures isn't all that meaningful, is it?

Let's even assume that METI's intent is sincere in all this. Do they have people on staff with the knowledge of the animation industry that would give them even a clue whether funds are being abused or not? Let's be honest, it wouldn't be the first time accounting in the film industry was fudged.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am completely disregarding your statement. I'm not. But my experience compels me to be skeptical in these situations.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
@Tempest: Thank you for your input, and yeah some of your statments, I share that same thought and my views on Cool Japan is are correct. I don't think this isn't going to work.

I apologize if I bring up South Korea again, but I saw 2 weeks ago that South Korea's govt are going to increase their budget plan aimed at the content industry (which include film, drama, and music), so it looks like Korean pop culture will stay dominant for a while.

Right. And SM Entertainment as usual. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
soul.assassin wrote:

Right. And SM Entertainment as usual. Laughing

I know you're joking around. But SM Entertainment doesn't really need help and neither does YG (BTW, did you hear Louis Vuitton has invested 80 million dollars into that company) or JYP Entertainment (or Cube Entertainment). Although smaller start up companies/labels would benefit from this.

Again, I apologize to everybody for going a bit off topic, I didn't mean to do this, I wanted to play around with soul.assassin, but now play time is over. Back on topic: I don't think Cool Japan's overseas projects is not going to do well and I share the same view as Tempest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This is Abe-ism at it's strongest. Cool Japan is also a televised programme on NHK World HD TV. They also are on NHK World's website too. It has the same logo so must be of the same group, or committee. They gather a bunch of gaijins from round the world into their studio and then assign them as pairs to go out and experience the indigenous cultural items given and then report on their findings and experiences with them. It could be anything uniquely Japanese such as food, drink, textiles, ceramics, furniture, brick-a-brac, etc. Then at the end there is a vote as to which would make the best cultural item to export to the world as "Cool Japan". Sometimes it can be quite boring, others it's quite a surprise and educational.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52: I do watch Cool Japan on NHK World from time to time, but yeah I do agreed with you that it can be boring for some (or most) episodes. I agree there are episodes that are fun.

The only thing that annoy me about the show is the English overdubbing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
I apologize if I bump this thread, but I saw an interesting article from last month, and it seem to well see some potential in Cool Japan, but as my statement stand: I'm not sure if Cool Japan will be pulled off effectively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2