• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sexual Assault Charges Dropped Against Voice Actor Illich Guardiola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Except by your own post it's still not marital rape. There's been no allegations of sexual assault after the wedding, so that term's not at all applicable. mangamuscle's phrasing appears to possibly be referring to her as his wife before the marriage, but their later post clarifies this wasn't what was intended.

Beyond that, marital rape is covered by section 22.011(a)(1), same as every other adult-on-adult rape. Marriage only provides protection again 22.011(a)(2) and 21.12, which cover "statutory rape".
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Seems to me that sadly Japan and the USA are more alike than I thought. In 2011 Aya Hirano was tarnished by a sex scandal (yeah, she had sex outside marriage). Three years later Illich Guardiola has his reputation tarnished in another sex scandal (Yeah, he had sex inside his marriage and probably before, like many cynicals reading this), at the moment I do not think that a recording agency would record his voice for anything that is released at a national level. Maybe this will be forgotten in a couple of years and he can restart his career later on (like Hirano did).

These two things are completely different, though. The Hirano scandal had less to do with the fact that she had pre-marital sex and more to do with the fact that she shattered the illusion of her purity, which disappointed her fans. As I'm sure you know, a lot of Japanese fans take serious issue with their idols not being "pure." On the other hand, Illich Guardiola did something illegal. All Aya Hirano did was disappoint her fans and make it harder for her to sell herself. Illich Guardiola technically committed a felony (one he wasn't prosecuted for, but still.) There's a massive difference between someone not getting work because their fans don't want to see them and someone not getting work because of past criminal behavior.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Does his photo on the article look like he's got a "I'm feeling guilty" look to him?
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
I love how half of the posts in this thread have to do with Vic Mignogna and to a lesser extent Troy Baker (what has he ever done that's creepy?) than Illich, who is the one being the open pervert here.

While he has his charges dropped due to lack of cooperation from the girl and her mother, I still find a 41 year old man and a 16 year old girl having a relationship highly inappropriate. Hell, someone my age (27) having a relationship with a 16-year-old is really pushing it in my view. 16-year-olds are not emotionally or physically mature and they are not sure what they want from life, and as someone who remembers his behavior at age 16 I remember feeling like that all the damn time.

However, I also remember being attracted to various older people when I was 16 so I understand how the girl feels. It still doesn't make it right and the girl's decision is still pretty foolish IMO.

She needs time to grow up and figure out what she wants. This will not help her do that at all.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
He's a teacher and she was his student at school and they were seeing one another. At a traffic stop he admitted to a police officer that they were in a sexual relationship. They then hurried to Las Vegas to get married with only the girl's mother present. He was then later arrested when he returned to Texas.

Actually, according to the article, it was the girl that admitted to them being in a sexual relationship, but that's beside the point here. Believe me, I am thinking this thing through, and the fact that they waited until then to get married does seem a little dodgy...but going with everything else that's actually known versus what's not known, I still find it hard to crucify the man entirely.

Quote:
1): he was in a relationship with a sixteen-year-old girl - even if there had been no sex that's still dodgy in the first place

To a degree, yes, it is. But I again call into question the way society seems to treat 16 year olds as kids, when they're very clearly not. If a person has been raised properly, by 16 years old they should be pretty capable of taking care of themselves for the most part, and starting to decide what they want for their lives.

Quote:
2): said girl was his student - a complete and utter no-no

I understand this one as well, but it's another one I have to kind of call into question. Would anyone be complaining if it was his 20 something student, and if so...why? Outside of concern for him giving her good grades because they're together, I don't see any reason why a teacher and a student shouldn't be allowed to end up liking each other.

Quote:
3): he admitted to having sex with her, therefore that's statutory rape right there since in Texas the age of consent is seventeen

I've always hated the term 'statutory rape', because it just doesn't fit what it is at all. What the term was made for is a real thing, but it needs a more proper name. If two people are consenting, it is not rape, at all. Rape is forcing someone to have sex. Consent cannot be rape.

Again, this part is me nitpicking the ludicrous name for that though rather than it actually being a thing though. Pointing at the actual issue at hand though, so a 17 year old is magically suddenly an adult compared to a child of 16? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
4): they had a rushed marriage in Vegas with only her mother present in an obvious effort to evade the law

We don't know why the mother gave her blessing, but it was weird and - at best - ill-advised.

As I admitted earlier, the marriage only happening after the traffic stop does come off a little sketchy, but with what little other info we have, I'd say it was motivated by fear of persecution more so than trying to evade the law per say. The mother was there, doesn't seem to have fought the marriage, and now neither her nor the girl are protesting the relationship. It seems that only the cops and many people very removed from the situation are screaming 'MORALS! THIS IS A CRIME, MORALS!', which to me just reeks of this being blown out of proportion, making a mountain out of a molehill if you will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Just to throw in the fire, there are over thirty US States where the Age of Consent is only 16, including Nevada.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
This entire case can be summed up as:

"Two people legally get married in a state where they are old enough to be legally married. As they usually reside in a state with different laws, everyone loses their minds"

A few years ago, when I went to a church in the village next to mine, I knew a couple who had a huge age difference (the guy was in his 40s, but the woman was in her 80s). Due to the time that's passed, I don't know if the woman is even still alive, but I do know that at the time they were happily married. Sure, people raised eyebrows and thought it was weird, but they loved each other, it was legal and it was consensual.

As it stands, the charges against Mr. Guardiola have been dropped. If evidence emerges in the future that suggests any actual foul play between himself and any other person (be it his now-wife or otherwise), then obviously, they deserve to be fully investigated but until then, any judgement passed on the guy (and the professional repercussions he has had to endure) are unjustified. For now, he should be considered innocent (especially as neither his wife or mother-in-law wished to co-operate with the investigation). All we do know is that they claim to be in love and simply got married in a state that would allow them to, with the approval of the bride's mother.

The only issue I see, is that there was a sexual relationship before they married. However, it's instances like these where I wish people would judge based on the intent of the law as opposed to the letter of it. Their marriage and the girl's mother approving of it shows that any prior contact between the two was most likely not out of coercion or anything improper, but rather, love.

To be honest, if this was the plot of a cheesy romance film, you'd probably all be cheering for the happy couple to defy the odds and be together.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
To be honest, if this was the plot of a cheesy romance film, you'd probably all be cheering for the happy couple to defy the odds and be together.

Damn it! Don't give Nicholas Sparks anymore bad ideas!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Not sure if people remember, but there was this post made by MokonaModoki when it first happened that indicated that he may have made advances toward his students before. Of course, we have no idea if this is factual or not.

The whole thing sounds dodgy, particularly with him being her drama teacher with ties to the industry, and them going off to Vegas once caught.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Wild allegations, conjecture, and unsubstantial arguments/claims aside, I deleted several posts for over-quoting.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Total creeper he really deserves to be put away. I mean he married her after it was established that he was having a sexual relationship with the girl just so he could get away with it. Yuck I mean he was her teacher that just makes it sooo much worse. I am sorry but this isn't little house on the prairie or a third world country so that is gross. Even if the girl was very responsible and mature for her age nobody knows jack at that age about the real world. I think the mother must be crazy she has to be pimping out her kid or something.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
All Aya Hirano did was disappoint her fans and make it harder for her to sell herself. Illich Guardiola technically committed a felony (one he wasn't prosecuted for, but still.)

No, technically he did not. Either you are a convicted felon, or you are not. Everything else is hearsay. It is clear inside your mind he will always be a felon, but the real world does not reside inside your mind.

Also, the fact that the charges he was detained do not exist in half of the country speaks volumes of how this is a cultural thing, not any kind of universally accepted value. Some people want to forget that for 99% of homo sapiens existence a 16 year old female having intercourse was irrelevant (unless there was coercion, which is relevant no matter the age). Some might want to think we are morally superior to our forefathers, I see those comments as a superiority complex due to advances in technology (which have nothing to do with advances in moral or ethic). The simple truth is that in the last hundred years a large percentage of the population now live longer and stay healthy at the same time. This trend is going to continue as further advances in medical science increase the (potential) productivity in our lifetimes. In conclusion, this kind of marriages were rare for most of mankind history because a 40+ old man was equivalent to nowadays 70+ old man (and some 70 year old can whip the floor with many 20+ younguns).

Quote:
... someone not getting work because their fans don't want to see an impure voice actress and someone not getting work because of past "criminal behavior" ...

... which disappointed many of his fans, it is the exact same thing. It has nothing to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of their work. It has nothing to do with a criminal record. It reminds me of an interview of the Man of Steel movie director where he said he choose the actor for the role of superman because he was a honest human being (sorry, I do not remember the exact quote). I thought "What? that has nothing to do with his ability (or lack thereof) as an actor, he is not running for a electoral position".
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Since it's a marriage between two consenting parties (the 16-year-old girl plus her mother and Guardiola), that should be the end of the story. People objecting to this marriage because they are squicked out are just the same people who oppose gay marriage because of their "values".

However, if this is a relationship between non-consenting parties (an adult and an underage minor without the parent's permission) then of course that's a whole different story.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think this thread is going to go anywhere. It's mostly just been arguments regarding morality, which I'm kind of skeptical of, honestly. Might need to call it done here before long.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Does ANY thread go anywhere? You got gullible liberals talking nonsense, conservatives with varying moral codes, and the moderates in between being seen as conservatives by the liberal side and seen as liberal by the conservative side.

The bottom line is: Mother of daughter consented to the damn thing, END OF STORY!! But some twit has to say "...BUT!!! blah blah blah I say stupid things to sound moral!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10