• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I finished watching Please Teacher. I found it to be quite a fun an unique show. Never before have I seen a couple involving a teacher and a student (albeit at 18 years of age). The relation between Kei and Mizuho were even more of a blast when the latter's sisters appeared to spice things up a bit. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Tonight I finished watching Please Teacher. I found it to be quite a fun an unique show. Never before have I seen a couple involving a teacher and a student (albeit at 18 years of age). The relation between Kei and Mizuho were even more of a blast when the latter's sisters appeared to spice things up a bit. Smile

I liked it because it took more of an adult tone to the relationship. It wasn't your normal harem romcom or a whole series of 2 characters denying feelings and then admitting them in the last 5 minutes. It was a more serious romantic comedy for sure. Plus I love me a redhead. The sequel is an ocean of distance away from that just so you know.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I liked it because it took more of an adult tone to the relationship. It wasn't your normal harem romcom or a whole series of 2 characters denying feelings and then admitting them in the last 5 minutes. It was a more serious romantic comedy for sure.

Oh yes indeed. What I find even more unique about Please Teacher is how it features an adult student in a high-school environment. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
So, finally watching Dear Brother, which I didn't watch when it was on AnimeSols, but did pledge for the sets and got all three because dude, Riyoko Ikeda, 'nuff said.

It's pretty much just pure drama all the time, quite addictive, like an animated soap or something. It reminds me a lot of Revolutionary Girl Utena if it were more gay, more straightforward, and less magic stuff.
But I keep finding myself somewhat baffled by this series. Like, is anyone not instantly les for the main character? What is the point of even animating this if you're just going to cut to pastel frame every fifteen seconds? I mean, Rose of Versailles did that too, but not to this extent. Not to the point where I think there's more slides over pastel frames than actual moving pictures. I guess they had a lower budget, though I found out this was made in the 90s, but it clearly purposely looks like 70s/early 80s. Speaking of which, when does this series take place exactly? The manga was 70s all girls' school, and obviously there are no cell phones but the school practically feels like it could've come out of Emma while the city looks 80s. And I still don't get wtf the point of the sorority is. Since the initial party and joining, literally nothing has happened with it as a group, so wtf is it for?
Still, I am enjoying myself and I plan to continue, I will just very often go "uh, no, I am not aware of friends taking baths together, is that a Japanese thing?" and also go "damn, how was it not obvious to you from scene one that this girl is psycho?"
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Since the initial party and joining, literally nothing has happened with it as a group, so wtf is it for?

It exists as Fukiko's playground.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Clannad: After Story. Holy...s**t.......

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

I have a huge soft spot for parent/children stories. With all of the events between Tomoya, Nagisa, and Ushio in the second half of the story, I was an absolute wreck. Something as simple as "I love you, Daddy" had tears in my eyes. Never before have I been this emotional during an anime. YLiA and Anohana left me feeling pretty depressed but this one knocked the ball past the fence.

Also, hopefully, in the future, my father-in-law can be like Akio.

Now that it's over, I can feel that huge gap that comes when you finish something so amazing and you aren't sure where to go from here. Hopefully Steins/Gate can fill that void. If anyone knows how to rank something beyond Masterpiece, let me know.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you should look up the ANN cast on Clannad. Their differing opinions are interesting to listen to.

Watching Ping Pong: The Animation. I was iffy about the art, but I love the series so far. Only two episodes were finished, but they were a blast!
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Lets see what the next episode of Infinite Ryvius had since I left off: Dishwashing drama that goes nowhere, Black Ryvius comes back with a new bot that has bits, and Kouji gets beaten up because nobody can maintain order properly. In other words this series still has nine episodes to go and barely anything worth noting happens still! With that out of the way I recently watched a four part OVA called Glasses of Girlfriends which is basically anthology stories. Aside from the second story they felt like rushed set ups for what appear to be longer romance stories and the fourth story kind of fell apart. Bad music and pacing with rather low budget animation for an OVA made this end up as bad, but I have seen worse. I got up to episode 14 in M3 which has a new opening and ending theme, but they aren't improvements. Good lord did the pacing and scene transitions make this hard to go through, it became very boring and it jumps around a bit, plus as a monster of the week series it just keeps failing. It would be nice to know more about the Lightless Realm and the necrometal because, you know, world building and all.

I probably would have finished with one of the two above series by now, but I recently found a spot where I can plow through Zyuranger. Before I do the same to Dairanger I do intend to hopefully finish both.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Just finished Revolutionary Girl Utena. Man is it good. I almost cried at the ending when spoiler[Anthy walked out of Ohtori Academy.] Now I just need to see the movie.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Recently completed Monster. I liked it a lot, though especially toward the end, I couldn't always understand who was doing what/traveling where and why. That was partly because there was so much to keep track of, it was hard to remember who had what info at what time. Also, I watched it raw, and although I really gave the "rewind" and "play" buttons a workout (and feel like my Japanese comprehension improved quite a bit along the way), I'm not going to hold my lack of understanding against the show; it's very possible I just missed some detail. What I will hold against it is a slight excess of coincidences; sometimes I wondered if there was anyone left in Europe who wasn't mixed up with Johan somehow. Still, it was a gripping, intense experience. Also: spoiler[nail clippers]Sad

Also watched Gundam the Origin volume 1. Loved it except for one thing. I wish Hamon's evac plan had been less boneheaded; what in the world was she thinking? That you canspoiler[steamroll cars on a main road and nobody will come out and try to stop you]? One thing that was very noticable was how both of the children's parents spoiler[doted on Artesia and pretty much ignored Casval.] Made me think of that strange line Char says near the end of "Char's Counterattack, about how Lalah spoiler["could have become a mother" to him.]

And just started: Treasure Island, the Osamu Dezaki TV adaptation from the 70s. I'd seen a few episodes of this before, and liked it enough to jump when I came across a used BD set at a very good price. I loved the original novel, and from what I've seen of it, this is adapted extremely faithfully. The story is Stevenson's, and the style is classic Dezaki/Sugino, with all the dramatic still frames and occasional cinematic flourishes one might expect.

One really effective shot involved the pirate Billy Bones spoiler[drinking himself to death. It cuts back and forth between Jim trying to wake him, and Billy's visions of being back out on the sea he loved...Jim crying his name...Billy smiling under a blue sky, standing amid waist-deep seawater near a tropical island...Jim shaking him...Billy lifting a bottle to his lips...Jim crying out...and Billy beginning to sink slowly beneath the waves as he drinks rum from the upended bottle.] That one really stuck with me. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Now I just need to see the movie.

Please be advised that the movie is not to be taken literally; it's apocryphal (e.g., spoiler[the car racing scene])
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Infinite Ryvius! Holy frick nothing changed!

>that drawn out insipid spoiler[assault moment with piggy tails girl]
>the random space squids
>that one ship that fuses with said squids
>that forced exposition that could have been useful reduced to mere SECONDS
>episode 22 being half a clipshow and the parts that weren't were laughably skipping around
>the pathetically executed spoiler[origin of Neya]
>that entire unnecessary last episode epilgoue
>making the one guy that bothers getting things done to be the crazy guy
>that Zwei member that spoiler[locked everyone in the E section for no reason]
>nobody gets punished for assault and murder
>Faina acting crazy for no reason
>that degenerating animation
>people die offscreen without even showing*

*Not a spoiler because it was hardly referenced afterward and had zero meaning plot wise

It is like this anime saw my pet peeves list of things I loathe in movies, forgot to add sex junk, and stretched it out to a 26 episode series. This should have been an 8 episode OVA at most! To say this is worse than even Valvrave is an understatement, this is the kind of fiction Asylum mockbusters wish it could be as bad as (only Alien vs. Hunter came anywhere close). There is no point in going on at this point so I'll just bring up the two good parts: Episode 21 where Yuki spoiler[ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING BY TERMINATING THE GUYS THAT CONSTANTLY BEAT PEOPLE UP] made the series temporarily more tolerable and the tragedy that the ending theme actually ended up being kind of good, so much so that it deserved a better anime. THIS. GARBAGE. GOT. AN. AWARD. Much like the worst movie I have ever seen this is a prime example of too much substance and not enough style to the point where important parts of your story make up a third at best; as hard as it is for people to wrap their brains around you can have good style and bad substance just like vice versa. It is also an example that plot and characters are only part of a story, they are not everything. I critique every aspect because stories are made up of all those aspects, judging on only one or two is just silly.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Finished Steins;Gate last night. 10/10. Absolutely earned it's spot as one of the best anime of all time.

Just started Angel Beats. Honestly, first episode has disappointed me. I get trying to get right into the middle of the action and story from the get-go, but with no build up and hardly anything involving an actual explanation, this first episode left less than a good feeling. Hopefully the next few episodes actually start explaining what the hell is going on and what I'm actually watching.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I spent the early daytime watching the 1½-hour OVA of Twin Signal. In this show, Signal, a friend robot that has been built for a boy named Nobuhiko Otoi, has been attacked by Pulse, another robot whose has been reprogrammed by Dr. Otoi's unknown enemy. As a result, the two robots are engaged in a life-risking battle.

Twin Signal is one of a few shows that I found to be pretty average- it's not bad, but I didn't see any moments that raised any excitement. However, I did enjoy Signal's battle with the slow-moving robot Epsilon.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Finished Casshern Sins last week as part of getting thru my backlog. It took a bit of time because I was away for the holiday. The first 9 episodes or so were decent enough to hold my interest and I liked some of the music, but once the show hit the half way point it really started to drag and feel pointless till about the last 2-3 episodes. The payoff was a bit weak imho. I still feel that it would have been better off as a 13 episode series or the second half needed to have radically different content or at least more meat to it. I still like the art design and concept, but the payoff wasn't exactly worth it for me. I rated it a Decent.

Also I saw Welcome to the Space Show this weekend. I was kind of disappointed. It really didn't have the highs and lows I expected of an adventure yarn. It seemed to have nice production values but I found designs to be only ok-ish, maybe a little generic even? I could have overlooked that but the story also had pacing issues where I found myself at times just bored. Its obviously trying to be a family movie, but I wonder if kids might also not be bored by it. Anyways I also only gave that a Decent.

Thinking of watching from my backlog either Garden of Words or Planetes depending on how I feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 875 of 1062