• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:

Super Cub-Didn't like a single thing about it. I only watched the 1st episode and found it boring.

I wish I could forget watching Super Cub so I could watch it again for the first time. Or buy a winning lottery ticket so I could go to Japan and rent a Super Cub 125 (not the Super Cub 50 like Koguma rides since I am considerably larger than the average Japanese bear*) and duplicate the Episode 6 and 12 journeys.

I am apparently one of the two people watching Let’s Make a Mug Too Season 2 that likes the show enough to comment on it. Wholesome fun for those who like slice of life/cute girls doing cute things in quarter-hour doses.

Checked out Puraore! Pride of Orange and the show so far is not the dumpster fire it was predicted to be. Not much emphasis yet on the idol aspect (Pretty Derby had much more in its first two episodes).

*Pun intended.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
I wish I could forget watching Super Cub so I could watch it again for the first time. Or buy a winning lottery ticket so I could go to Japan and rent a Super Cub 125 (not the Super Cub 50 like Koguma rides since I am considerably larger than the average Japanese bear*) and duplicate the Episode 6 and 12 journeys.

I loved Super Cub! You don't even have to journey all the way to Japan to ride a Super Cub since they're now available in the US again! Whether or not you can find a place to rent one here is a different story. There's actually a dealership about 30 minutes from where I live that has a 2021 Super Cub C125 for sale.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm another one who loved Super Cub!. As a motorcyclist for many years I thought they really captured many of the little things that make the activity so special. They did that far more successfully than Bakuon!!. And they also convincingly showed how the main character gradually moved away from her depressed initial circumstances. Motorcycling will do that for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

I loved Super Cub! You don't even have to journey all the way to Japan to ride a Super Cub since they're now available in the US again! Whether or not you can find a place to rent one here is a different story. There's actually a dealership about 30 minutes from where I live that has a 2021 Super Cub C125 for sale.

A Super Cub is much more suited to Japanese speed limits and distances - for what we have in the USA my Prussian steed (BMW Motorrad factory is in Berlin, not Munich like the cars) eats up the seemingly endless swaths of agricultural land in a very Prussian army officer type manner (200 miles days were about all I wanted to do on a Honda Elite 110 at 50 mph top speed).

Since I do some engineering geology work, visiting the sites in Izu Peninsula ala Rim Shima in Yuru CampΔ would be a most interesting ride (even without someone with the personality of a puppy making hot pot for me - love the ED with Nadeshiko in the back of the white pick-up truck with the doggy she will never forget).

Errinundra wrote:

I'm another one who loved Super Cub!. As a motorcyclist for many years I thought they really captured many of the little things that make the activity so special. They did that far more successfully than Bakuon!!.

Too many cheap gags and too much "anime physics" in Bakuon!! for me to really get into the show. Some of the best moments in Super Cub are Koguma treating her C50 more like a pet than a mechanical device, or finding excuses to ride.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Another Super Cub fan checking in. Really enjoyed the show, although I feel they bobbled the spoiler["Shii rescue" episode (i.e. Koguma not phoning the police, putting Shii in her basket, etc)] but that's a quibble. I hope we get more of Koguma's (mostly) low key motorcycle adventures.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another Super Cub fan checking in. Really enjoyed the show, although I feel they bobbled the spoiler["Shii rescue" episode (i.e. Koguma not phoning the police, putting Shii in her basket, etc)] but that's a quibble. I hope we get more of Koguma's (mostly) low key motorcycle adventures.

If I was Shii's father, I would have told her and Koguma that they were not to go places together until they completed the first aid/accident scene management classes that I was enrolling them in.

I love the travel montages - a trip to Hokkaido during summer break to escape the heat would be something I would watch multiple times. Particularly if the BGM is as good as that in the middle of Episode 12 (starting where Shii whips out the cutting board and huge bread knife and ending when they arrive at Lake Biwa).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

A Super Cub is much more suited to Japanese speed limits and distances - for what we have in the USA my Prussian steed (BMW Motorrad factory is in Berlin, not Munich like the cars) eats up the seemingly endless swaths of agricultural land in a very Prussian army officer type manner (200 miles days were about all I wanted to do on a Honda Elite 110 at 50 mph top speed).

That depends where in the US you live, I live in a rural area by the coast in NJ where the speeds don't exceed 50 mph except for the major highways, so a Super Cub C125 with its top speed of 65 would be more than enough where I live.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Still watching The Defective (aka Can Ci Pin), a donghua Funi grabbed. They sold me from the start with the pet iguana but it's expanded the story from a local outpost of pirates and rejects hanging out on the fringes of an empire, to a galactic game of cat and mouse that's really gotten interesting. The MC is too cool for school (he's got a school-teacher friend to fill that niche) and he's fun to watch in his absolute zero, cold-blooded stoicism that's so maxed that even his shape-shifting AI adjunct sometimes seems nonplussed. I don't think the man has smiled once in 15 episodes. Smile

Finally got around to seeing the Rurouni Kenshin movies The Last and The Beginning, aka Head Injury Theater. Both excellent. I feel Kaoru kinda got shortchanged, but the manga did that too with rare exceptions, and Tomoe turned out much better than I'd hoped. Stuff blowed up real good. I almost feel like if Takeru Satoh were ever attacked on the street, he could probably defend himself with a stick just by muscle memory of a lot of the outstanding choreography in this. Smile
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Watched A3! on a whim and ended up binging the whole thing in about a day. Definitely wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Izumi is technically supposed to be the self insert character, but she had a lot of personality. I normally have trouble remembering names of huge casts of pretty boys, but I was able to remember everyone's name in this one. The OST surprisingly had some good tracks.

My ranking of the troupes is:
1. Autumn-too many best boys with Sakyo, Juza, and Omi
2. Spring-All likable
3. Summer-I only liked Tenma and Yuki
4. Winter-All of them were meh and their story was eye roll inducing with 2 instances of deus ex machina

I'm actually tempted to try the game since it's in English, but it's apparently shutting down soon. They're no longer releasing new content, but you can still access the game. That's fine with me since I'd be playing for the Autumn boys I mentioned.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I just finished season one of Beastars and am going to start season 2.

I'm pretty sure this whole show is trying to give me some some of new furry kink, but I think I'm full up on kinks, (who knew I'd wish to see these animals get together, a wolf and a rabbit, can it work?) and while I want these characters to make their interspecies relationship more than a thought, I've read a review that makes me think I won't be seeing that, at least not in season 2 anyway.

I really am digging this show though, the vibe is both chill and engaging, and I love Legoshi as the main character...and the way he speaks- the Japanese VA captures him so well, with breathing out a mmmmm before so many sentences, almost but not quite a growl that fits a wolf in my mind so well. I actually find it hard to dislike any of the characters in this show, even the "bad" carnivores, and the way they show how hard it is to reconcile living together in harmony fighting your nature keeps things interesting.

I'm really hoping season 2 (and upcoming season 3) keep the same sort of intriguing and interesting story for these characters, I'm along for the ride!
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Black Clover right now via Netflix and what can I say about it...

Let's start with how I got into Black Clover and why I'm watching it. I got into it because I happen to be a Berserk fan. As I was looking for a new fantasy manga to read, I happen to stumble upon Asta's anti-magic sword. It seriously reminded me of Guts and read the synopsis of Black Clover. I instantly got hooked with not the genre, but the protagonist's interesting anomaly (e.g. 'is anti-magic a magic ability at all?' as also the Magic Emperor also pondered in the manga and anime; Asta's background story and his ambition on wanting to be an emperor). I haven't stumbled upon any manga and anime so far that focused on the grimoire as well. Furthermore, I also love the part where the rivalry between Yuno and Asta is a healthy competition. I love how the mangaka and the anime portrayed them to extreme opposites and yet, they can work together. So totally love that.

Now when it comes to watching the anime. The opening and ending song... well they are catchy, I will say, but none so far that has captured my attention yet. The anime's storytelling seem to be a little fast unlike the manga. The portrayal of Mimosa and Noelle are spot on!

Right now, I'm still on season one, but this makes me want to reread the manga after watching this.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Tokyo Revengers and Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun season 2. Iruma-kun is obviously fantastic like the 1st season. Charming and funny with an extremely likeable cast of characters. I think it is at its best when it's focusing on lighthearted fun and gets slightly less entertaining when it tries to tell a slightly more serious story. Iiiiruma-kuuuuuun's still a great show.

I'm a lot less invested in Tokyo Revengers. Somehow I find the tone too serious and melodramatic for a story about like middle schooler squabbles. A middle school bike gang that becomes like an infamous criminal syndicate or something is just silly to me. About 12 episodes in and I still don't quite get why these middle school kids get so serious about their teenage gangs (other than "being a delinquent so cool maaaan") that they wanna stab people. I feel like usually I'm able to watch these types of anime stories without finding myself thinking constantly about how silly the stories are, but not with Tokyo Revengers.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
My anime this season (the only one, since I paused my Funi subscription in favor of HiDive) is Waccha PriMagi!

You all really need to watch this. It is not only very cute and joyful, but the character dynamics are excellent! Myamu's character arc in Episode 4 was a joy and made me tear up a bit. And Episode 6 introduced us to Lemon, who is so relatable for introverts or anyone else who finds communicating online easier than in person, and who has big dreams but is also nervous about pursuing them.

Plus, I'm passionate about it and really, really want to share that passion with someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
At about 0:07 in this Japan National Tourism Organization video, people (sadly not Asuka telling Shinji to stop being a brat and get inside) are on a approximate full scale model of Eva 01. What is the location (please do not reply "GeoFront").

https://youtu.be/EHX2t2cfrFU

I had to look this up, looks like Toei Kyoto Studio Park, also known as Toei Uzumasa Eigamura. Looks cool!

Which reminds me that I just finally watched all the Evangelion movies last week. I had only seen the first 2 since they were coming out SO slowly, and so I had to re-watch the first 2 and then watch the last two. I enjoyed them, different tone and much more hopeful than the series. Both have something to offer I suppose...even if nostalgia is a BIG part of what it offers to me.

I also just finished Beastars 2nd season. Wow. I really was wondering if I'd like this show even and the answer was yes, absolutely. This season was a different focus in some ways, but every but as entertaining and OMG, those last 2-3 episodes I was just unable to blink...this show does a great job of sucking you in and sometimes horrifying you too.
I spent a decent part of it feeling just so sad for Rouis...ya know like that good friend who just keeps making all the bad decisions while you watch their life implode? I just wanted to scoop him up and have a good long mom talk with him and then lock him up. I seriously really love these animals and their struggles, I can't wait to see more!
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Watching Uchū Senkan Yamato (Space Battleship Yamato) because it is an important naval history documentary. Wink OK, the real point is to be familiar with all the references that crop up on real naval history forums.

I missed the original broadcast run due to factors such as not living in Japan during preschool (which of course we walked 10 miles each way uphill through the snow every day to get to and from). The cut and English dubbed Star Blazers broadcast was half a decade into the future (by which time upper middle class families typically had basic cable and VCRs).

Surprising how crude the animation and backgrounds look, likely due to Japan still being second class economically and technologically at the time (other than a few select sectors such as motorcycles, the onslaught of low cost but high quality Japanese manufactured goods was still a couple of years into the future). Big budget animation such as Looney Tunes from 20 years earlier looks more modern, but those were intended to be shown in theaters and not NTSC (disparagingly known as "Never Twice the Same Color) format television broadcast.

Other surprising thing is that despite the setting, all the characters are drawn as vaguely European instead of Japanese. Wish there was more background information on why this decision was made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1045 of 1062