• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Maybe an LN reader can explain that I'm wrong, (and pronoun and subject identification is such a pain in Japanese that I can't really trust the translation) but I actually didn't get "aliens created the world" from the letter. They said they came to the world along with the adventurers during the Apocalypse, not that they caused it (I think). But maybe that's just wishful reading on my part.

I'll use some LN knowledge to answer your question. Spoilers ahead (maybe?)!

spoiler[The answer is no, they didn't create the world. They aren't even aliens. They are non-corporeal, artificial beings, created to gather Empathium, which is necessary for their creators (as I understand it, their creators are similar to humans, maybe a tad bit more advanced). They are sent to other universes in order to search for Empathium. However, they had no luck, as universes apparently can only have one intelligent life form, and they probably couldn't get in without disrupting the balance. But then the Apocalypse happened and they were drawn to the world of Elder Tale, as were the Adventurers, so they are both outsiders... it's just that these things have a goal there.]

But yeah, the so called World Fraction that we call Apocalypse DID happen in Elder Tale, so we haven't made the jump to the realm of sci-fi... for now, I guess.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
So really they're just AI created by someone else to capitalize on a convenient incident that happened to be going on. Roe2 was implying that much at least.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned it earlier, but with the Odyssey Knights and the latest episode, the author really must have been a big fan of Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld books.

What the Knights were doing, how it relates to Riverworld: spoiler[the main character in Riverworld recons he can get to the 'control' room of the world by dying... a lot. Eventually he surpasses a computer screening limit and succeeds in being resurrected at the control center.]

And the latest revelation is not exactly the same, but certainly has some similarities.

I was kind of dreading 'knowing' as any answer that would explain everything that had gone on given what was shown of the day's real world technology (seems same as our world, maybe a few years older even). Still there is more to come and as I have stated previously, this series works surprisingly well as just a straight up fantasy series, with the real world forgotten.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
My question is, will there be a third season or they going to do a lame movie re-telling/series?

There seems to be alot more world building that can be done, alot of situations going on.

spoiler[If this is not real world messihed in by aliens, and both humans and aliens are both here some how. Did they explain how this universe, earth exists at all? There something i don't understand from this episode, i don't mind the alien angle. Its better than a computer virtual reality and people are stuck in it just like Sword Art Online, duplication would been bad.]
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
They've actually officially run out of light novel volumes to adapt as of last episode and appear to just be working with the author to determine what exactly is supposed to happen here.

Give them a few years and maybe they'd churn something else out.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
UAAAAGH!

Other than that, "eh" episode, not really interested in all the Isaac and (bigotred) kingdom stuff, so this was one of those classical slow episodes, with the plot advancing, give it some credit, but... only two episodes. This sudden climax was intriguing, although I hope it doesn't deliver a rushed conclusion.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I also found the sudden focus on a character that has been mostly on the side lines a little... awkward, especially this late into the season and close to the finish line. Despite that it was a decent episode, that much I agree on, especially after last ep's irritating revelation. Of course, ending it like this... now that's just mean. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think maybe they are rushing to conclusion. I would think there was still more to do with the plot, but with ending of episode 23...i think it's going be difficult not end whole thing, which i think would be sad.

It feels like there room for one more season 24 episodes.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hi again everyone! Back after a few years of RL stuff. Anyways:

While this episode overall followed followed the standard MO of LH's slow but well-constructed world-building, The spoiler[possiblity of going home] and it's implications was "glossed over "in a manner very uncharacterstic for the series so far, with only Isaac's and Seraras reactions mirroring the reactions you would think people would have to a posssiblity/risk that big. And that's not going into the gigantic power vacuum this could lead to, if even 2 of the Guild heads decided to leave.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Eh, really? I thought this was a reaaaaally really weak episode, but for different reasons that Log Horizon is usually weak. This, instead, was incredibly rushed, fast-paced to the point of overload (which in some moments it kind of fits since it's reflecting Shiroe's frustration, but even then it's just hard to follow and the emotions of the character cannot sink in), the animation was for the most part reaaaally bad even for this show's standards (it has that one pretty shot of the flower monster coming up, but that's the only thing, the rest was bad, and that makes that weird stand-out much more jarring), the conflict of the moths comes out of nowhere to just set up a quick rushed climax for the show that tries to involve everyone with this raid but it's just pathetic and desperate because of so laughably fast and quick everything is, the same with the sudden Shiroe's struggle that the show hasn't quite built up to show (we get the reasons in concept but we don't feel anything because it also comes too fast, almost like the show didn't know these events were going to happen until the last minute in previous ep), and the same with his development at the end of the episode.

Really, why couldn't they cut 25 minutes from the other episodes to at least make this a little better flowing and less jarring with the rest ones? This feels like your typical rushed conclusion at the last minute. This is a 'no no' for me.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Great, now they just need to take out all of the annoying little brats filler episodes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
All of that was from the light novels and none of it was filler.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
I imagine it's significant that all the monsters were moon related. Either it was just a fancy of the writers or the beings on the moon they want to contact already know and don't want to hear from them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I imagine it's significant that all the monsters were moon related. Either it was just a fancy of the writers or the beings on the moon they want to contact already know and don't want to hear from them.

I don't think the guys on the Moon are unified on how to proceed. They have their mission, but they also have acknowledged that the Adventurers are a reasonably advanced sapient species (as per Roe2's letter). So either there is some conflict going on there or they've already agreed between themselves on some sort of compromise measure.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
All of that was from the light novels and none of it was filler.

Those chapters must have been pretty boring then...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14