• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Grisaia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Actually, I think that the little smirk/smile Yuuji makes right before pulling the trigger is a bit peculiar

I didn't see that as a smile. He said something (iku? or a name?), which might've pulled his lips back like saying "cheese," but he wasn't smiling.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
why would he shoot makina's mom four times when he is such a good shooter if it werent because of spite?

He has shot her only one time though.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I actually like this final episode. Everyone gets a role. Even Michiru, no matter how absurd it was. Urinals are usually made of ceramic, and she accidentally broke it with her head? I think she deserves more medical attention than Amane, seriously.

Overall I'm quite glad with this adaptation. Sure, the material is changed, a lot actually. But it worked well, although at times it felt rushed. But I think the VN contains a lot of non-plot dialogues too, and the events were like thrown together in randomness.

Story wise, it's pretty enjoyable. Art wise, QUALITY is still lingering here and there. Music, used the same tracks as the VNs, but the OP is not, and I love that song by Kurosaki Maon.

Yuuji, as the main character, doesn't seem to actually into romantic relationship to any of the heroines. Sure, he went to such length to resolve the girls problem, but I think it's just like a mere obligation, a mere "I want to help this girl" but I don't think he had ever look at those girls with romantic feeling in mind. We are still as clueless as the heroines about Yuuji and his past, but let's just wait for the sequel where it'll reveal everything.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
As I have read the first visual novel, which is covered (with some modifications and massive omissions) by this season of the anime, I think this is a good moment to write down some of my thoughts. I could write about several miscellaneous things about the franchise, but I try to keep it short.

It has been a pleasure to read Ms. Silverman’s reviews of the show every week. They have been my main source of seeing the point of view of an anime-only watcher. Even if she is not really part of the target demographic, her approach has been relatively positive, and grades quite generous (if I had done similar reviews, my grades would have likely been generally lower).

The anime adaptation has several disappointing sides to it, very clear ones being the production values (especially compared to the streamlined experience of the VN) and the rushiness. Two other points:

First, I do not think if others agree, but the beginning of the anime seems to give an impression of a different show than it really turns out to be. There seems to be a more mysterious and psychological feel, see for example Ms. Silverman’s mention of Higurashi in the review of episodes 1-3 (reading that I though something like: ”Those are big boots to fill!” [at this point at least I have more respect for Higurashi as a story than for Grisaia]).

Second point, what is with the panty shots? Did some anime producer perhaps think that the lack of sex scenes can be compensated with them? If fan service is needed, I am quite sure it is appreciated more as an actual part of a scene (see Amane in episode 1) and not a one-second flash during a dramatic moment (the chase in the forest in episode 12).

My experience with VNs has been mostly that the quality of the main route determines my general experience with the work, and as the main route of Grisaia is in the second and third parts of the trilogy, my experience with the franchise is not complete at all. It would be overly optimistic to expect the kind of quality progression as with Muv-Luv (for which is often thought that the 3rd part of the trilogy >> 2nd part of the trilogy >> 1st part of the trilogy), but I think there is hope for an enjoyable ending. Now I just have to make the choice of watching the sequel of the anime or waiting for the VNs. The quality displayed by the anime makes me prefer the VNs strongly, but I still might get impatient.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:
why would he shoot makina's mom four times when he is such a good shooter if it werent because of spite?

He has shot her only one time though.

he clearly fires the gun 4 time, you might want to watch that scene again
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ChiruChiru should probably go to the hospital and get a cat-scan or something.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Ok not going to lie the absurdity of this episode surpassed anything the series has done up until this point. How the flying fudge am I supposed to believe that spoiler[Yuuji's plan was in any way logically sound?] Did he factor in how the guy could have ended up justspoiler[ killing Aname as soon as he tied her up in the classroom?] What would he have done then? Did he really somehow spoiler[predict the guy was going to eventually go to the bathroom with her?] How would someone's thought process even conclude to that happening?

He was leaving the entire situation up to chance and he's lucky that the spoiler[idiot fell right into his plan because the writer made him do it.] I can tolerate Tatsuya's over the top OPness since he isn't a normal human at ALL but Yuuji's plans usually just hinge on him accomplishing literally impossible odds or coming up with convoluted/contrived plans that somehow work out.

What's worse is that this arc really overshadowed Aname and Yuuji's relationship development due to the silly flashback. Sure, backstory is nice. But how am I supposed to root for a couple when their moments together have been inconsistent and improperly shown? To be honest this whole hostage situation didn't really serve any purpose in terms of character development either. We know Aname still regrets what happened to her. Why is bringing some spoiler[crazy old pervert] into the story (who the anime wants me to feel sorry for) necessary? Aside from that one small moment with Yumiko it really only served to further show how cool the MC is supposed to be.

Summary:

Sadly this going down as another adaptation that just makes you want to play/read the source material. The main points of each arc are probably shown but the extra detail/development that was left out made me completely indifferent to this anime. The first episode teases you that the series could have been an interesting psychological thriller but was largely overshadowed by harem/ecchi antics that didn't lead to anything fulfilling. I've seen this whole "cute girls put in a dark story" done before done a million times better in other shows namely "Higurashi".

Yuuji is an interesting character with a great sense of humor but the vagueness of his past made it hard to relate to him. I suppose that will be solved in the next season. He very much earns every girl in his harem which is always something I like to see. I could tolerate his stoic nature since unlike Tatsuya he's still actually interested in girls and teases them just as much as they tease him. I'd say he's a perfectly ideal male lead in a harem actually. A real shame the rest of the cast never seemed like a proper match for him.

Sacchi's backstory doesn't even make sense to me. First of all it would have been nice if we were even privy to her condition of doing whatever she's told but i guess this one episode per girl thing is just more signs that there is tons of content being cut out. Though now that i think about it perhaps the maid outfit was subtle foreshadowing that she had this issue in which case I suppose I could give the anime a little credit there.

Secondly why would that accident make her deluded enough to believe she must do whatever she's told? Maybe it would make sense for family but why the hell does she suddenly believe she should listen to EVERYONE? Again there is something being lost in the anime transition most likely because I simply could not relate to how she changed into this crazy girl #4. Transformation scenarios are what truly make a characters backstory hit home for the audience but I feel like this anime really just glosses over everyone's sad tales only giving us the gist of what happened. It's rather frustrating =(.

The dead parents thing just kind of made me groan a bit. I mean it's one thing to have them dead but to conveniently kill them RIGHT after they have a fight with their daughter is cliche as hell. Especially since they just kind of stood in the street and didn't hear that giant truck coming by. Next you'll tell that she's secretly batman right?

Michiru making a comment that she very well KNOWS she shouldn't be making also made no sense to me. Even if Michiru is somewhat of an airhead she isn't totally retarded. If Sacchi has had this condition for a while now I just don't buy her saying something like that.

The fireworks thing was funny though. Ground shaking and we heard a noise that sounds nothing like a firework? Guess that wasn't an explosion after all!

Yumiko's arc seemed rather butchered to me as well since the show wants us to think the father actually cared about his daughter when all he does is spout how she's nothing but a tool to him and even threatens to psychologically torture her before that absurd standoff scene. I don't think the writers knows how to create a sympathetic villain. You can't just shoehorn their change in 2 seconds and expect us to care.

Also her stabbing antics being used for comedic effect seemed to undermine her story. The whole boxcutter thing was supposed to a big deal in her arc but the anime treated as a joke the majority of the series so again I don't see why I should have been bothered to care. Heck they even gave her the classic "tsundere being afraid of lighting so she'll cling to the MC" cliche. Classssssssssy Wink

Everyone one else was passable but still lacked in overall detail. I've been told that the plotholes in Aname's backstory were properly explained in the novel but i still don't see how not just simply making fire would still be out of the question.

Bleh whatever. Overall the series was a giant disappointment especially considering all the hype that was surrounding it. I'll probably watch the second season though only because it focused on Yuuji who despite how stupidly OP he is was the only character I actually liked in the end

The excessive use of panty shots really got irritating after a while. They even snuck some in during the forest chase scene. I seriously could nothing but shake my head at that. Am i supposed to be aroused while these girls are running for their lives? Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Am i supposed to be aroused while these girls are running for their lives? Rolling Eyes

Considering how many times they pissed themselves in terror, I'd say yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5