• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
(About Ep. 8)
While, as the review stated, not the same as Madoka Magika, it still pulls the same similar threads of "mahou shoujo isn't all Sailor Moon and pretty flowers, but with real side-effects"

I love it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
I do think that having the vertexes be heroes from other nations would be the smartest thing that this show could have done. However, I don't expect that at this point because it hasn't been properly set up (yet). The writers would have to bring this story closer in line with Madoka to do that and have the girls somehow transform into vertexes once they depleted their powers perhaps, or maybe when they go on the assault into "enemy territory" they attain a new powerful form that is essentially a vertex. It's still a possibility, as I mentioned in a previous post, but we haven't seen an indication yet that that's where things are going. All we've seen is a girl who was severely handicapped from using her powers too much.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo Remeber that shinju-sama warps reality before any battle, so we cannot know for sure if what we as the vertex is their true form. Likewise, if my theory is correct, other nations heroes might see our five magical girls as some kind of weird shapped vertex.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo Remeber that shinju-sama warps reality before any battle, so we cannot know for sure if what we as the vertex is their true form. Likewise, if my theory is correct, other nations heroes might see our five magical girls as some kind of weird shapped vertex.

Why limit ourselves? The Shinju-sama is a mighty and (apparently) incorporeal being, so it isn't that much of a stretch to think that the Vertexes are maybe Heroes from other countries, timelines, or dimensions
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode Nine:

Itsuki rambled far too long on her audition tape, but that was probably the only flaw (that I noticed at least) in the entire episode. For me of all people to say that . . . yeah, this was a very good episode indeed. I found the absence of background music in many scenes (especially between Fu and Itsuki) to be a powerful mood-setter. Even when we were being shown normal everyday events (like eating dinner) there was a feeling of dread, like something had to break.

The series as a whole is decidedly inferior to PMMM in every way, but it's still a solid show in its own right. I'm curious as to what it will do - and where it will go - in its final quarter, and also the ultimate message it wants to end on.
srlracing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Episode Nine:

Itsuki rambled far too long on her audition tape, but that was probably the only flaw (that I noticed at least) in the entire episode. For me of all people to say that . . . yeah, this was a very good episode indeed. I found the absence of background music in many scenes (especially between Fu and Itsuki) to be a powerful mood-setter. Even when we were being shown normal everyday events (like eating dinner) there was a feeling of dread, like something had to break.

I always love great use of silence. I even loved how Itsuki's recording went on longer than it maybe should have because it just made the mood so uncomfortable and then BANG! I was totally expecting her to try to commit suicide as if she were in a Satoshi Kon movie only to be thwarted. I prefer how they did it, I was surprised to see them manifest the Hero powers in the regular world.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
Clearly the Taisha is being manipulative, but how much actual evil can be read into their intent and actions? Is their message to Karin genuine concern or another tactic to help ensure that their invaluable assets stay under control?

I can read a lot into their actions and I will say it again -- it will be not surprising in the least to find out that the Taisha are the aggressors or at fault in the war against the vertex beings.

Aside from the egregious lying, we now have the politicking with Karin to use her against her comrades, and I don't think anyone should overlook that Nogi thought that the girls were actually under threat from the Taisha when they were at Nogi's bedside.

Which raises a question -- the Taisha were there when Nogi was talking to Yuki and Togo and basically spilled the beans on the game. So they must know what Nogi told them. Yet the Taisha are still acting like the girls are in the dark on everything -- still pushing the evasions and lies. What's going on there?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
... I don't think anyone should overlook that Nogi thought that the girls were actually under threat from the Taisha when they were at Nogi's bedside.

Which raises a question -- the Taisha were there when Nogi was talking to Yuki and Togo and basically spilled the beans on the game. So they must know what Nogi told them. Yet the Taisha are still acting like the girls are in the dark on everything -- still pushing the evasions and lies. What's going on there?

My guess is that Togo did not loose her memories while fighting the vertex, she gained one extra faerie for each leg, went nuts spoiler[after having one of her friends killed and the other becoming a quadriplegic] and the Taisha erased her memories spoiler[and gave her a new name] to make use of her later on. So Nogi was not afraid of the Taisha punishing Yuko or Togo, she was afraid of them erasing their memories (that is the meaning behind the Taisha "making your existence vague"), but since there will be a new vertex onslaught they can't risk loosing two heroes at once, that was Nogi's gamble.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
^
Holy crap, that fits so perfectly it scares me.

Explains Mimori's missing memories, her paraplegic legs, and her possessing more faeries than the others as well. Plus it also explains the new faeries being given to everyone who went Mankai after the big battle.
natchu96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Holy crap, that fits so perfectly it scares me.

Explains Mimori's missing memories, her paraplegic legs, and her possessing more faeries than the others as well. Plus it also explains the new faeries being given to everyone who went Mankai after the big battle.

On top of there being a prequel light novel with spoiler[Togo in it under a different name . . .]

[EDIT: Spoiler tags are always required for references to content in other published materials that might reasonably be interpreted as spoilers for revelations or events that haven't happened yet. - Key]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'll say the same thing I said before (although this episode made it a bit more clear for me). This show is not a magical girl show. It is a dark Moe show. This episode, more than any of the previous episodes, just absolutely punished the girls (speciically Fu-sempai and her little sister). It was relentless. It wasn't just enough to start off with spoiler[Itsuki struggling with her classmates and in school, but then every few minutes another shoe dropped. The crushing staleness of the sisters' home life due to Itsuki's disability... the scenes of Itsuki hopelessly studying every resource at her availability and working herself to exhaustion to try and get her voice back... the talent agency calling and notifying big sis that her now disabled little sister could be their next idol.] The show just piled it on, delivering emotional gut-punch after emotional gut-punch as we begged it to stop.

I think the show is actually quite effective as a dark Moe show. It is, on the whole, a very good one. As I said before, I don't think these girls have been too heavily developed beyond "cute girls who do cute things together" and "innocent girls who are unusually virtuous" (especially for their age). But that's all you need for effective Moe. You need girls (or young boys) who are basically an ideal human - excessively cute, sweet, innocent, good-hearted, and in need of some kind of care. If the writer makes them suffer, that just amps up the Moe effect, and if they have some kind of disability, that seems to maximize the Moe effect. This show has all that in spades.

I still don't quite know what to make of this show. We still haven't seen any real indication of where it is going to take us in the end. There isn't really a particular narrative force driving us in a specific direction since the girls defeated the vertexes. The narrative is now totally focused on their personal struggles with the disabilities. Is that how the show will end? That will really give us a better understanding of the intentions of the writers as far as what they want this show to be.

As for this most recent episode, as I commented earlier, I think it works and works well as a hard-hitting Moe episode. That being said, I did find the final act of this episode to be pretty weak. It felt like the other girls spoiler[were just too accepting of their fates as sacrificial lambs. It's hard to imagine real children being that virtuous, to the point where they are willing (and even eager) to sacrifice their health and that of their friends for a cause.] It felt kind of artificial.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
It felt like the other girls spoiler[were just too accepting of their fates as sacrificial lambs. It's hard to imagine real children being that virtuous, to the point where they are willing (and even eager) to sacrifice their health and that of their friends for a cause.] It felt kind of artificial.

Yet it is a key aspect of the whole story.

Would the girls have volunteered had they been informed in advance? We saw one answer in Makoka Magica and maybe we will see a different one here or for a different reason. Further we need to know more about what the true nature of the Kaisha really is. The hints we get are not only what they are doing but how they are relating to the normal humans including our magical girls. And part of that is how the girls really are rather than how the Kaisha perceive they are.

I notice that they separate their space from our regular characters with razor wire. What does that tell you?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'll say the same thing I said before (although this episode made it a bit more clear for me). This show is not a magical girl show. It is a dark Moe show. This episode, more than any of the previous episodes, just absolutely punished the girls (speciically Fu-sempai and her little sister). It was relentless.

I really can't figure out what you mean by this, unless by "dark moe" you mean "tragedy." But it doesn't sound like it...

Going by the "excessively cute, sweet, innocent, good-hearted, and in need of some kind of care" thing, the only character who mostly fits this description is Itsuki. But this episode, where she best fits that model, isn't really about her. It's about Fuu's regret over dragging everyone into this, anger at the Taisha for putting them in this situation without telling them, and frustration over not being able to undo any of the damage, all of which is pushed to the breaking point when she finds out what was going on with Itsuki. We barely even see Itsuki's own reaction to this, and she's the one who tries to defuse her sister's breakdown by pointing out that spoiler[she never would have been able to sing in the first place if she hadn't been part of the Hero Club].

Those other moe adjectives don't fit very well here, either. Even Itsuki doesn't qualify as innocent--like everyone else, she explicitly decided to join the fight, knowing it would probably be dangerous (which it was, if not for the reasons expected). Sweet and good-hearted? Fuu just tried to attack their bosses for revenge, and Mimori is likely planning something similar. As for the disabilities being a source of moe... remember how wheelchair-bound Mimori turned out to be the exact opposite of helpless?

It's possible to interpret just about any character in a bad situation as being "moe," but there's a lot more than that going on here. As in any decent tragedy, it's not the tragedy itself that matters, but how the characters deal with it.

In other news, the character parallels to Madoka continue to become clearer-- Yuuki = Madoka, Mimori = Homura, Fuu = Mami, Karin = Kyouko. Itsuki seems to have become spoiler[Kyousuke (tragically injured violin prodigy guy); makes me wonder if someone is going to sacrifice something to cure her]. Still wondering when that "Vertexes killed our parents" plot thread is going to pop back up; at this point I seriously doubt it was really the vertexes.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

My guess is that Togo did not loose her memories while fighting the vertex, she gained one extra faerie for each leg, went nuts spoiler[after having one of her friends killed and the other becoming a quadriplegic] and the Taisha erased her memories spoiler[and gave her a new name] to make use of her later on.

As far as I'm aware (but I would need to start searching for what has been transalted to be completely certain) spoiler[it is stated in the novelization as a fact that Togo lost her ability to walk and her memories due to two mankais. It is also mentioned that Togo is actually her real name. For reasons I'm not aware of she was presented as "Wasshu" to her companions, but after she was returned to her family she has been using her real name again.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'll say the same thing I said before (although this episode made it a bit more clear for me). This show is not a magical girl show. It is a dark Moe show. This episode, more than any of the previous episodes, just absolutely punished the girls (speciically Fu-sempai and her little sister). It was relentless.

I really can't figure out what you mean by this, unless by "dark moe" you mean "tragedy." But it doesn't sound like it...

I think it's pretty obvious what I mean by that. It's a moe show that puts some kind of harsh suffering on its cute girls. A lot of moe shows will just have cute girls who deal with mild issues like being exceptionally naive or clumsy. Some shows, like this, start to take it to the extreme level of inflicting severe physical and emotional harm on them. This maximizes the audience's desire to "help" them, "protect" them and "keep them safe" from the cruel, crapsack world.

Quote:

Going by the "excessively cute, sweet, innocent, good-hearted, and in need of some kind of care" thing...

That wasn't an exhaustive list of what moe shows are about. I was giving some examples of characteristics of characters in such shows. That being said, all of the characters in Yuki Yuna exhibit at least some of those characteristics and some have all of them:
excessively cute - ALL the girls are this
sweet - All girls except Karin
innocent - Itsuki, Yuki
good-hearted - ALL the girls

in need of some kind of care - Before the whole mankai thing, Itsuki is clearly this, Togo is clearly this (given her disability), and Karin is in need of emotional care by gaining "friends." She seemed to have no friends prior to joining the hero club, and after joining she is still shown to be reluctant to place her full trust and friendship in the group.

After the mankai thing, all girls except Karin have gained a relatively severe disability, and thus they are all in need of care, either physical or emotional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10