• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mayu Shinjo: "I Don't Think I'll Ever Write Shojo Manga Again"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I think she's just saying men have a special bond/friendship that women could never have or understand with a guy or another girl. Like some kind of "bro code". Her stance is a good insight on why shounen manga aimed at boys like Naruto and Kuroko no Basket have been popular with female audiences. It's something that appeals to those women despite a primarily male focused cast
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Considering that BL is a genre that mostly caters towards women and girls, it's an odd kind of sentiment to make about your potential demographic.

I thought that she was talking about the manga, not the readers.
Isn't that world of men what the BL demographic wants?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Considering that BL is a genre that mostly caters towards women and girls, it's an odd kind of sentiment to make about your potential demographic.

I thought that she was talking about the manga, not the readers.
Isn't that world of men what the BL demographic wants?

Yeah, from what I read I didn't see her saying anything that was actually negative towards women. Just saying that she prefers to create manga about male characters. (Which, as you say, goes along with what the BL genre is about)
Momokochan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm guessing the parts most people disagree with are the bolded parts:

Quote:
I also like the fact that girls don't appear in it. Since a long time ago, I've loved the world of men. Even if we're not talking about boys-love, I really like things like friendship between men and fights with men, kind of a world that women can't enter.

While I'm more sure that the first bolded part is just because Mayu Shinjo doesn't like drawing women, it sounds very exclusionary. The last part even more so. Considering that BL is a genre that mostly caters towards women and girls, it's an odd kind of sentiment to make about your potential demographic.

Exactly This. She can do all the BL she wants (which by the way is problematic in so many ways, but different ways) It's the wording she uses that's kind of creepy for both women and men. However, saying "I like the fact that girls don't appear in it.", if a western author were to say something like this about men, a person I disagree with politically's would be all up her b*tt calling them a "feminazi" and a "misandrist".

K-ON is crazy criticized by many white feminist, because of this same thing. "It fetishizes the view of women and panders the world of women for men." Like, yeah, that is problematic and a lot. However, it is also crazy problematic saying that your own gender "cannot enter" other gender's places. Like hold it there Mayu. It's not even the world of men, its the world she idealizes as a fake world of men, and thats even more hecked up.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
However, it is also crazy problematic saying that your own gender "cannot enter" other gender's places.

Well, men are from Mars and women are form Venus as they say Laughing Both genders think and behave differently at their core.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Momokochan wrote:
However, it is also crazy problematic saying that your own gender "cannot enter" other gender's places.

Well, men are from Mars and women are form Venus as they say Laughing Both genders think and behave differently at their core.

No. no they don't. Even that "old saying" has come under

heavy scrutiny over the years
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I have to say I've always admired this kind of freedom of expression out of anime/manga, and I suppose Japanese culture in general. With how America is so concerned with female portrayals in media lately, I can only imagine the fallout it would cause if someone said this in some interview on Kotaku. Really though, Japan has such a diversity of anime/manga/games and media in general there's something for everyone to enjoy at the end of the day. If she wants to write about men instead of women, more power to her. She probably doesn't need radicals jumping all over her and scrutinizing her career choices.

-Stuart Smith

Something that I have observed over the last few years is that extremists and people who like to feel victimized have become far more vocal over the Internet (with Gamergate being just a small part of it). It's rare to find a place online nowadays that's open to the public with an open discussion area that doesn't soon get flooded with people who feel injustice is going on there or discussed there and want to say what they want to say. (I suspect many of them are trolls who know it's far too easy to stir up trouble with controversial statements and fringe opinions though.)

A corollary is that if you make yourself known, you WILL get nonconstructive criticism and/or death threats from people who want you off the face of the earth.

In other words, the entire Internet is ablaze in one gigantic flame war stoked by cyber-arsonists who want to burn and rebuild the way they want it.

Feminism is one of the biggest hotbeds, I feel, because the term is quite vague. Feminism has many subcategories that even the feminists themselves don't necessarily realize; the only thing they have in common is improvement in women's rights. You essentially have people with beliefs ranging from "women should be free to pursue whatever they desire and be rewarded or punished on their own merits" to "women must establish a matriarchical society and live totally independently from men/enslave men" labeling themselves under the same term, so of course this is going to cause a lot of friction.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking about how I'd react if a male mangaka stated that he wanted to give up shonen romance manga and focus on yuri manga for men. It's still a person eschewing one gender to write unrealistic, fetishizing stories about the other for straight peoples' satisfaction. It's problematic (not saying it's *wrong*). I don't know if it's exactly the same, though. The problem is not only what she said, it's how female characters were written in her manga, and how her comments reflect a bigger problem of female characters being dismissed in problematic ways by fujoshi--in BL, in shonen, and even in shojo manga. People are bringing up different mangaka who have had different attitudes towards BL. Fumi Yoshinaga is a great example of a BL/Yaoi focused mangaka who has positive attitudes towards women, female characters, and actual gay men. In her autobiographical work, "Not Love But Delicious Food Make Me So Happy", she writes about meeting a gay man for the first time and actually apologizing to him for writing about gay men without knowing any, and possibly offending them. She cares about how she portrays her characters and is sensitive to how those portrayals affect actual people in real life. Comparing her attitude to that of a mangaka who doesn't seem to be interested in portraying women or gay men in a sensitive manner isn't fair; both are writing fiction and neither is hurting anyone, and there's a place for it. But it's uncomfortable, problematic, and seems to come from a place of internalized misogyny to dismiss female characters and fetishize gay ones.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've been thinking about how I'd react if a male mangaka stated that he wanted to give up shonen romance manga and focus on yuri manga for men. It's still a person eschewing one gender to write unrealistic, fetishizing stories about the other for straight peoples' satisfaction. It's problematic (not saying it's *wrong*). I don't know if it's exactly the same, though. The problem is not only what she said, it's how female characters were written in her manga, and how her comments reflect a bigger problem of female characters being dismissed in problematic ways by fujoshi--in BL, in shonen, and even in shojo manga. People are bringing up different mangaka who have had different attitudes towards BL. Fumi Yoshinaga is a great example of a BL/Yaoi focused mangaka who has positive attitudes towards women, female characters, and actual gay men. In her autobiographical work, "Not Love But Delicious Food Make Me So Happy", she writes about meeting a gay man for the first time and actually apologizing to him for writing about gay men without knowing any, and possibly offending them. She cares about how she portrays her characters and is sensitive to how those portrayals affect actual people in real life. Comparing her attitude to that of a mangaka who doesn't seem to be interested in portraying women or gay men in a sensitive manner isn't fair; both are writing fiction and neither is hurting anyone, and there's a place for it. But it's uncomfortable, problematic, and seems to come from a place of internalized misogyny to dismiss female characters and fetishize gay ones.

Oh yes, all of this.

When I was a younger fan and initially discovered the concept of yaoi/BL/etc was pretty floored. I've never seen such an abundance of gay fiction before! I thought "I'm home!!!"

But after perusing through a lot of it for awhile I came to realize something was just...off. It was all stuff which obviously didn't even have gay men in mind, all coded in a way to appeal to women who were looking for something that was naughty and "felt forbidden", and written by people who it seemed never to have met an actual gay person in their life.

It's almost like an uncanny valley of homosexuality!

It didn't really feel revolutionary or revelatory at all to me when I really looked into it, and it just made me feel kind of hollow about the whole thing.

I mean...this stuff is for a very specific kind of audience, and kudos to them for getting a lot of it...but...in m eyes it just feels so strange...

And yeah, focusing on these "BL elements", even in mainstream works seem to come at the cost of female characters both in and outside the fandom/industry. Woe be it to any female character who's at least a semi-regular character in a work that has a large amount of pretty male characters in it, a lot of fangirls are gonna be setting their crosshairs on you...
InuKen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Suzy J Webber wrote:
Wow, I don't know what to say about this. I wonder how messed up Japan is for us to see this level of internalized misogyny in these poor women. They've been brainwashed by the rampant sexism running around in the culture. I hope someone can help her.. could we petition for her to move to America and start making American comics instead?

Yawn...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
I was wondering when she was finally going to announce this. She had been working on BL doujinshi for a while.

Now that she's comitted to creating BL manga, I hope to see her at a YaoiCon soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Tetranet wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I don't blame them, though, I blame the worst aspects of their culture (which, let's be honest, is just another aspect of a global, historical disregard for women).

If you call this a culture of disregard, I don't know what to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Wrong list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Gender_Gap_Report

gloverrandal wrote:

I think she's just saying men have a special bond/friendship that women could never have or understand with a guy or another girl. Like some kind of "bro code".

As many military games have bro code among gamers.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Something that I have observed over the last few years is that extremists and people who like to feel victimized have become far more vocal over the Internet (with Gamergate being just a small part of it). It's rare to find a place online nowadays that's open to the public with an open discussion area that doesn't soon get flooded with people who feel injustice is going on there or discussed there and want to say what they want to say. (I suspect many of them are trolls who know it's far too easy to stir up trouble with controversial statements and fringe opinions though.)

What about those ethnic minority representation in Western media?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
As much as I would normally be inclined to call foul in a situation like this, I really don't think there is any reason to.
She has a specific interest in what she is writing about and she feels it better hides her weakness and capitalizes on her strengths. From what I can see she has actually put a good amount of thought and logic into the situation.

That said I know her stories have a tendency for being problematic and that the genre shift maybe will make that worse. That said I would need to actually see her new work to tell if that is the case. Irregardless I know quite a few gay guys and some of them have no problem with yaoi some have some minor issues/complaints with it, while others dislike it.
I think it is generally best though to not get offended on other peoples belaf especially since some things are kind of inevitable to a degree.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
The people shouting for that have long been doing so offline; an online presence is a natural transition.

Shenl742 wrote:
When I was a younger fan and initially discovered the concept of yaoi/BL/etc was pretty floored. I've never seen such an abundance of gay fiction before! I thought "I'm home!!!"

But after perusing through a lot of it for awhile I came to realize something was just...off. It was all stuff which obviously didn't even have gay men in mind, all coded in a way to appeal to women who were looking for something that was naughty and "felt forbidden", and written by people who it seemed never to have met an actual gay person in their life.

The way you put it makes it sound a lot like those Harlequin romance novels. And while there's rarely any homosexual love in these stories, now that I've given it some thought, BL is pretty much the Japanese equivalent to that (only probably more expensive).
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of Harlequin romance novels adapted wholesale into josei manga. Renta Manga has a whole section of adapted Harlequin novels alongside original (smutty) josei manga.

BL/Yaoi is a bit of a unique phenomenon. It's usually a "forbidden" romance between characters who are basically gendered in female roles (uke) and male roles (seme), but all the characters are physically male.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4